Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

T2 and 5" coil

Steven P

How many have used one and does it make a real difference in trashy areas? Also why is it that so few dealers that sell the T2 carry the 5" coil?

Thanks for your time.

To answer your second question, I do not know and I would really like to see the 5" coil offered by Kellyco and some of the other larger dealers.

As for your first question, I picked up the coil about 2 months ago and have used it several times. Short answer, yes it is very good in trashy areas and in wooded areas with a lot of undergrowth. I often hunt for Civil War relics and, recently, even pre-Civil War sites. Many sites are in wooded areas and, except for in the Winter, these areas are full of growth that "reaches up and grabs the coil". The 5" works very well even though I don't get the coverage of the DD coil. The 5" really capitalizes on the excellent separation between trash and good targets that the T2 is well known for. I have uncovered several targets that were next to trash and I was getting good and bad tones in my headphones at the same time. I usually run on 2+ tones so when I got the good with the bad I dug and found a good target along with a piece of iron or trash most of the time.

Is the coil worth getting? It really depends on where you are hunting. The DD coil that comes with the T2 is very good in trashy areas where you can get a decent swing on the detector. I searched an old rail yard recently for coins. Needless to say the place was "trash central", but there was nothing to interfere with a good sweep motion of the detector. I used both coils and did not find any advantage in separation with the 5" so, after a while, I stuck with the DD.

if you have the conditions I think the 5" is worth having, but you are the best determinant of that.

Good luck!

Mark652 said:
To answer your second question, I do not know and I would really like to see the 5" coil offered by Kellyco and some of the other larger dealers.

As for your first question, I picked up the coil about 2 months ago and have used it several times. Short answer, yes it is very good in trashy areas and in wooded areas with a lot of undergrowth. I often hunt for Civil War relics and, recently, even pre-Civil War sites. Many sites are in wooded areas and, except for in the Winter, these areas are full of growth that "reaches up and grabs the coil". The 5" works very well even though I don't get the coverage of the DD coil. The 5" really capitalizes on the excellent separation between trash and good targets that the T2 is well known for. I have uncovered several targets that were next to trash and I was getting good and bad tones in my headphones at the same time. I usually run on 2+ tones so when I got the good with the bad I dug and found a good target along with a piece of iron or trash most of the time.

Is the coil worth getting? It really depends on where you are hunting. The DD coil that comes with the T2 is very good in trashy areas where you can get a decent swing on the detector. I searched an old rail yard recently for coins. Needless to say the place was "trash central", but there was nothing to interfere with a good sweep motion of the detector. I used both coils and did not find any advantage in separation with the 5" so, after a while, I stuck with the DD.

if you have the conditions I think the 5" is worth having, but you are the best determinant of that.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for such an informative answer.

i bought my 5" coil from kellyco too.....i like the 5" coil for the saltwater beaches where i do alot of old coin hunting....its great for getting in and around the rocks.....i dont get all that false chatter with the smaller coil that i get with the 11' coil.....to me, this is the coil of choice for the beaches.....other than that, i like the stock coil......

That is good to know, I did not see it the last time I looked about a month ago when a friend if mine was looking for one. Thank you.

Well I just ordered one from MetalDetector.com $125 plus I had a coupon for some additional discounts. Looking forward to trying it out.

I haven't used it very much yet though since I got the V3 about the same time. I took it to a cavalry camp that I have hunted to death. I hardly ever find anything there anymore, I hunted it regularly for about 2 yrs.
Anyway, I tried the 5" coil, (actually 4.75 IIRC), there and right away I found a .44 cal solid base bullet where I have swung many coils, many times. I need to go back over there with it some more and take it to the park at Kingston. In fact I may do it tomorrow for a bit.

I also took my SovereignGT over to the same camp site this week and passed on all iffy signals, only dug solid two way signals.. dug a pocketknife at about 8" with it.

I like the small coil on the T2 a LOT.

J