Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

swing speed

massdigr

Hi all,

Can anyone shed some light on this slow recovery speed stuff i have been hearing alot about from detectorists that prefer to use other brands of detectors. Do you really have to move alot slower to be successful? I mean just how much of a slower swing speed is necessary? I have been out a few times with some success. I wonder if I could be missing something.

thanks and happy hunting,:detecting:

Don't confuse "slow recovery speed" with "slow sweep speed" because they are two different things.

Yes, the Quattro does need a fairly slow sweep speed to work it's magic and lock on and ID targets at max depth. You don't have to crawl...in fact, you can use the threshold to your advantage and move along pretty good in cleaner ground. But when you get a signal or a break in the threshold that tips you to a deeper target, you need to get on top of it and slow way down to properly ID it. And a slower overall search speed IS best. Look at the little guy in the bottom of your post and see how he's swinging. Slow that down to about a 1/3 or that and you'll be in the ballpark.

"Recovery speed" refers to the rate at which the Quattro will "reset" or "recover" when transitioning from the detection and identification of ONE target to ANOTHER target. As in working in trash or among multiple targets. You may have noticed that when you have, for example, (and you can try this yourself) a dime on the ground and a nickel let's say about 12 inches away from it. Now sweep over and ID the dime...you get a 36 or 37 maybe, and a high tone. Now move right over to the nickel and sweep and ID that. You will probably notice that the Quattro will "hold" the ID of the dime for a swing or two (or three) even though you are clearly sweeping the nickel. And the tone and ID will change eventually, but in some cases it may be easier to get off the target and come back over it to "reset" the ID. This is the slow "recovery" speed they talk about. And many see it as a pain in the butt but many also look at it as the reason why the Quattro seems to lock on and solidly ID many a deep target where other machines will have trouble doing so or not even hit it at all. I've seen this in action a number of times, particularly at the beach. I have seen the Quattro on more than one occasion lock on to a deep dime or quarter that my Excalibur wouldn't pick up AT ALL, even at near max sensitivity...we're talking DEEP.

So while some may consider the slow recovery speed a deficit, most who hunt successfully with the Quattro call it a "feature" or perhaps an idiosyncrasy. :)

Thanks Mike,I think i just need to get some more time in the field under my belt,with some more practice i think ill get the hang of it eventually.I have already made some good finds.I appreciate the help.
HH.

But, I do know that with the Fisher's like the CZ's & Coinstrike, the slower the swing the better if you want the deep targets, if not then your kind of cherry pickin. The swing isn't quite as slow as pooring molasses in the winter time. I like to refer to it as "LOW & SLOW, coil low to the ground even scrubbing it and a slow swing swing.