Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sweet revenge

Dan-MO

Reading Rob's story about pranks pulled on co-workers reminded me of some things a group of us did to a co-worker when I first hired in at G.M. many years ago.Looking back we probably crossed the line on some of the things we did to this individual....but there was a long score to settle with him,we were young and about half nuts,and at the time,truly hated this guy.At this point in my life,looking back,I regret and am ashamed of my participation in some of the events I am about to tell about,but,at the time had no regrets at all.

I hired in at General Motors just a few days shy of my 21st birthday in 1976.At the time I was hired, aprox. 1800 other people were also hired as G.M. was adding a 2nd shift at the time.Most of the new hires were young people.....my age and younger.

Most of the people who were working there before I was hired were old "gray beards",people with 20 plus years of senority as GM had did no hiring at this plant for years prior to our group getting hired.Most of these were great guys who did what they could to help the new hires learn the ropes and survive in a work environment few of us had ever experienced before.A few didn't like us much,and one in paticular hated us at first sight and did everything he could to make life miserable for us,get us fired (which he managed to do for some)or cause us to quit.His name was Alex.

At the time I hired in the first 90 days were critical.You had to work 90 days before you got union protection and GM used this time to "weed out" undesirables and trouble makers.You had to keep your nose clean,show up every day and do your job without complaint.Some foremen made it extra rough on you to see how you would react.I knew a foreman once who would brag that if he needed one person,he would hire two-then very quickly fire one to scare the survivor into working harder.Thats the way it was for your first 90 days.

I hired in to the body shop, in a area called the "jungle" named so because all the spot welders hanging down looked like jungle vines.Myself and 2 others were assigned to 3 of the biggest.It was hot, dirty,brutaly hard work wrestling those big welders and the 2 that were assigned there with me both quit before lunch....on the first day.I had a wife and new baby depending on me at home and I was determined to do the job or die trying....no way I was going to quit.

After a couple of days the older workers who worked near me kinda took me under their wing,I guess they felt sorry for me or maybe I gained a little respect from them for not backing down from the big spot welder.I soon became friends with most of them....except Alex who seemed to hate me and every other new hire.The older workers had no use for him either,and warned us to watch what we said around him...for he would run to the foreman and repeat it and add to it.

You might think it was no big deal that this old A-hole of a man didn

I know you, and in my mind you have never had a mean bone in your body! Course, we were all much younger once, and have mellowed!

I really dislike mean people, and it seems this guy deserved what you all did! Can't wait for Part II. :)

but like you said you had a new baby and a family to support,and if in your shoes i'd have probably had to suck it up too.i've worked at places where they tried to enforce unwritten rules,thats where people who worked at a place thought because you were a new hire you were suppose to kiss their ....foot.i never played that game,it's because they were intimidated and wanted to make sure you knew who the real boss was.

fear that things might change,and that the new hires might not fall in line is probably what motivated this fella,he wanted you to know who the real boss was.i hired in new at a new distribution center in dallas and 4 guys who had known each other since the were kids got hired also,they tried to dominate everything and control the breakroom ,i had it out with them and soon everyone else tired of the crap.

i watched two guys come to blows over who would be the lift mechanic,i know it's different for everybody,but sometimes you better off keeping your relationships with co-workers superficial,it's easier to say no to them when the time comes.

can't wait for part two.

I hired in at GM in 61 on production, in the trim shop. I worked the body shop as an Electrician years later after going through their apprenticeship program and worked on those same spot weilders. In the new plants there is rarely a human that runs a wielder, all robots now. Lots of work for electricians.

Those spot wielders all had a trick to them. I have seen oldtimers run them with one hand because they learned the balance and how to shift their body but a newbie comes in and fights them. The spot wielder is always gonna win.

That 90 day rule still exsists and they use it well.

I have worked with guys like Alex and they always lose. Always! When they first started letting women in the apprenticeship program some of the local Alex's would make it hard on them. I enjoyed making it hard on those jerks too but could do it openly. Nobody likes a snitch and if someone went to the boss with something on the shop floor, I went to the union. Screw them. We would also feed them phoney information and let them look the fool.

Five gallon buckets of water would come off the roof on them and they could never relax in a toilet.

I get a chance I will post some of the rotten tricks I am capable of, at least I was back then. I only had one female apprentice I could not work with and I just told her to go to the boss and tell him that she did not want to work with me. That is the way I handled it but some guys were real mean to them.

Man you just opened up a whole new subject and got my mind a going. :D

Guys like this Alex deserve whatever they get. I reserve my sympathies for those more deserving ! Anxiously waiting for the rest !!

n/t

when we are young and full of pizz and vinegar. I have got revenge on a lot of people that crossed me in my time, but as I got older, I started making more mature decisions.

I still love hearing the "old" stories. Im looking forward til tomorrow.

Lil Brother:)

much that I let anyone walk on me. I never started anything in the plant but I sure finished a bunch. Usually with a boss but I had a pretty unique situation. I just didn't give a rip who it was if they disrespected me.

Man I got some story's :D

I kinda think that Alex is too stupid to realize that he is fixin to have the screws put to him! :rofl: I have always wondered what makes people like Alex treat folks in such a hateful manner. I am fixin to read part 2. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)