Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:surrender:Cortez problems

thunderseven

I recieved a new Cortez a few weeks ago and just started really playing with it. The problem is without warning and for no reason it starts clicking and chattering and while it does this the display starts racing like a stopwatch. I mean it jumps all over the place while the numbers go from zero to God knows where. It happens at the most strange times and turning down the sensativity doesn't matter. It will work fine for a bit then get totally out of control. I've ruled out power lines and cell phones cause it happens in rural areas away from these things. Changed the batteries, reconnected the coil countless times. It also does it in all metal and there is a distinct rythmic "chirp" I might add to my complaint. This chirp renders a readable signal impossible and makes the machine unusable. Then like nothing happened at all it simply goes away and resumes normal operation. I simply can't trust it. Anybody heard of this before? Any ideas would be helpfull. I will be taking my cz3D out tomorrow because of it. HELP!!!!!!!

I would call the good folks at Tesoro and explain to them what is happening. Not only does Tesoro make the best detectors in the world their tech. support is the best too. Does this happen while swinging your coil or while you are stationary. Make sure that your coil wire isn't loose and flopping around, your detector can signal on the coil wire movement. Steve.

Hi Steve, I have the wire secured and when it starts it doesn't matter if the the coil is sweeping or not. I just stand there in amazement and watch it ruin a perfectly good hunt. I have a Vaquero and Tigershark that I enjoy but this is a first lemon I've owned. I had high hopes for this machine.

I had a Silver Sabre umax like that. It was sent back to the factory 3 times- they matched the coil and ran it through countless tests and it would work fine. Then, a few hours after I would start using it, it would start again. I would turn down the sensitivity and it would gradually get better and better,only to start again the next hunt. I had a wonderful dealer, Joe Bolton,who sent it back to Tesoro for keeps and traded me for a Silver umax and even offered to pay me the difference in cost. But I liked the new battery test and all metal search mode and called it even, as he went to a lot of trouble for me. I understand they replaced the entire circuit and Joe's Dad got the detector.:surrender:

I have had my Deleon do the same thing,I just turned it of then on a few times and it stopped.I too was out in the woods with no electrical influences and checked every possible connection,nothing??Fresh batteries and no loose wires,just started going crazy.Called Tesoro,they said it was a internal computer chip glitch,send it in.I tried it again and hasn't done it in about 3 months??

The way you are describing it, it almost sounds like a loose coil wire. I assume you don't have access to another uMax coil to test that theory. Sometimes the wire from the coil to the plug in at the box may not be soldered properly. Have you tried moving the wire in and out of the plug while this happens?

I'm sure the guys at Tesoro will know the answer, yours can't be the first one that has done this. If you have eliminated all of the obvious things from the equation (batteries,connections etc) I would give them a ring.

I've tried everything. Like it or not I'm gonna have to call the factory today. At least I have my other machines to fall back on. The 3d and Vaquero make this setback less painfull. I appreciate all of your input everyone. I will keep you posted.

My wife had a nextel two-way and it made my machines go nutz. Maybe it's just homesick? lol. Send it in an let tesoro fix er up.

HH

R-n-R

I know this may sound like a silly question but you don't have any jewelery or metal on you thats interfering do you?
RR

Well, you probably got the bad one in the bunch. Normally you never hear of anyting bad with the Tesoros.
Guess you lucked out!:lol: Call the company. They will take care of you I'm sure!
RR

I've eleminated all known sources of probable interference. I'm sure Tesoro will make it right whatever the outcome. I was on the phone with them today going over some options.

My Cortes did the same thing...close as I could ever figure was the effects of it sitting in a hot car and going krazy till it cooled off...I maybe wrong...wifes says I usually am, but think on that one and let me know what you think....Steve in Tenn.

No, I won't leave any of my detectors in my car. I treat them like camera equipment or a notebook computer, of course they get a little dirty sometimes but I'm very qick to get them cleaned up. I tell ya ,looking at all the posts I think you folks covered all possibilities!!