Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Surfcutters story triggered a story from way back in my youth.

George-CT

Surfcutters story triggered a story from way back in my youth. Mostly about the man that he got to know later in life differently than how he first knew him or though he did.

I think I mentioned from time to time over the years that my father was not one for nonsense. He had a hard life growing up so those were the methods he knew. When he told you to do something, there was no questioning it but more of a I told you what to do, now do it. Worked for me. He was the man of the house or where ever you were with him.

Our good times or fun times for us kids and much of the family were in the summer everyone leased a spot on Pine Island down at the shore on Long Island Sound. Beautiful place in the summer. Nothing on the island could be built to stay so everyone put up tents for the summer. Parents would come out on the weekends or evenings if they had time and us kids, would stay there all summer, catching blue shell crabs, clams, fish and tend to about 5 lobster pots we had just off the back of the island in the rocks. We also caught these little stone or rock crabs to sell or give to everyone to fish for black fish with, along with mummy chugs for fluke, and sea clams for what ever was biting.

In between all that we would water ski, by selling the bait for gas money, then about 50 cents a gallon on the docks, maybe less. We had mostly surf boards we towed behind and a big saucer board, then we had a chair on and see how high we could launch ourselves off a big wake of another boat. We were always banged up, but we still kept doing it.

This one day, my father was watching and says hey; take me out so I can try these water skis. Now my Dad was 6' 5" and one rugged guy but being tall I never looked at him as well balanced for this sport. But hey, one never knows. It was pretty calms waters for there in August and what could it hurt. So we get out there, and about 15 or 20 times he tried it only to fall over right away or shortly after. like I said he was a big man, not fat, all muscle but just tall. He wore a size 15 shoe so he could have skied bare foot I always thought. Then often I got a foot where I didn't need it I was wishing they were smaller feet. Back to the story. After all these times he was getting lets say upset. They had been drinking the usual weekend beers so probably not feeling any pain at the time. That would change!!!! I pulled over next to him. He gave me that, you do as your told stare and says. This time you pull me up, and don't stop until I let go of the rope, your slowing down to early and you

I am glad you posted , and maybe gave you and others here a moment to pause , ...remember a time or place..... that special person that we miss ......or over time come to understand .Maybe even a regret not doing something different then after age has give us a bit more to think about and understand ...I have had a lot to think about of late some of it happy , some of it regret , anger ... and shame ....

Thank You George ,I liked your Tale of Summer's past and having shared it here ..

Bill G.

You say that you have never written a story before...I assure you that this is a well written, interesting story. I must admit that towards the end when you were talking about how you would visit Pine Island and think about your Father, it did make me think of my Father too! Thanks for posting this story, I really enjoyed reading it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

You are a very good writer! I laughed at your description of your dad water sking,and by the end I was remembering the times I had with my own parents as a kid-I must say you brought back some bittersweet memories. I am lucky enough to still have my father,I see him nearly every day.Since I lost my mother earlier this year there is not a day that passes that something reminds me of her.

Thanks for a wonderful story

best stories are the ones we recall from out youth. Sounds like you and you dad and family had very good times together. Even while some of us we scared of some of the reactions we received from our fathers, we knew we were loved. Some of my favorite memories of my daddy was when we spent times in the great outdoors. Even though I was the only girl, I was his hunting buddy for a long time. And even though as I grew up, we remained very close. I still miss him today as much as I did the day he died. He taught us a lot about nature and what it had to offer.

I bet it was hysterical to see your dad holding on for dear life, with his swim trunks around his knees. Of course, a couple of beers makes things even funnier! Sounds like you had a wonderful relationship even though he might have been a bit serious sometimes, but dad's are like this, and we all knew we were loved.

Your story was wonderful, and I enjoyed it so much. I have some things of my dads that will be treasured for the rest of my life. I just feel cheated that he has not been here to see all his grandchildren and great grandchildren, for the would have loved him dearly as we did.

Write somemore of your memories. It's fun, it's entertaining, and your children will enjoy the stories that you write someday!

Great story! :)

all your family was watching?:).the question is is did he ever try to ski again?i'm glad you kept the ski's george but its hard for me to keep things like that,even if the memories surrounding something are good they bring a little sadness to me.i think every father has that no BS look,glad you escaped unharmed:biggrin:.

storyteller! That story also made me remember and laugh about our adventures on waterskies. At age 20 i figured i was a real hotdogger, so good that i could stay dry, so i came off a whip turn full out and headed up onto the beach.....at 20 mph or so the skies (same big long ones with rudders) went about 5 feet on the sand, i went a bunch further on nose, knees, and elbows while everybody jeered and laughed:lol:
Thanks for the memories!

Great memorys with our Dad our priceless! See its easy write, just write it as you see it in your mind! Good Job!

n/t

You can bet that he, nor you, nor any of our friends on the bank EVER forgot that one! :lol:
Thanks for sharing this rib-splitter. I needed it!

aj

After reading it again, I kinda look like a not to nice kid. I was around 14 or 15 at the time. We had a lot of good times over the years in the boat yard or out boating and camping. Everyone then liked camping on the islands. It was pretty safe back then. Never had anyone bother us kids the entire summer. a lot of the people that camped there on the island would leave us their extra food if we would keep and eye on their camps all week so on one bothered them. That was fine with us. We were good at getting cherry stones that we dove for in a fast moving section of the river that few knew about. We bartered everything over the course of summer for something. My mother would come out a few times in the week. She would come down to the shore and honk the horn of the car and we would take the boat and go get her. She really liked it out there. Funny thing to remember but she knew I liked tapioca pudding so she would make it and bring it out for me for a treat. She liked blue shell crabs so we kept the in an old lobster pot we fixed with screens so she would have them when she came out. I liked them better than the lobster. Our later in the season treat was scallops. She would bring them back later in the week deep fried for all us kids. These were small bay scallops that were some tastey. Steamers were a main meal for us a few times a week. Fact anything us kids could boil in a pot of water was great. That was about it for our cooking skills, boiling water or bater off for something better on the weekend.

George-Ct

I lost my mom pretty young and my Dad much later in life. Camping was where we shared most of our good times. My mother never saw my kids, but my father enjoyed them. Not sure if you ever head the country western song, Daddy's Hands but that always gets me to thinking of both my parents but especially my father. He had big hands, and as a kid I can still remember him grabing my hadn to cross the street in the city. He had a habit of almost petting your hand with his thumb as you walked along. When I hear that song, that pops right into my mind. Just a habit he had. Funny how all those small things surface later in life... But I also know we will all meet again down the road.

George-CT

my butt off!! He must have been quite a guy

I envy you guys your good memories of your fathers.

You are a very good writer George.....:thumbup:

He sure is, isn't he? Very interesting story....

n/t

joy and happiness to me. I can't wait!

You know, little did your daddy know what a memory he was creating for you when he stroked your hand with his thumb! i bet you find yourself doing the same thing! Even the smallest things like this gives us comfort, and its these things that I cherish. :)

Man,....I enjoyed that ! Still laughing to myself picturing that scenario of him being pulled behind and flopping around. :rofl: That was a great read George and I hope we get the pleasure of more tales from your past. Loved it ! :clapping: