Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Surfcutters Bike Story

Royal

As a reward for good grades in 6th grade my dad got me a Honda mini trail 50 , Yellow and White ..... and a sparkly Red Helmet.....with a back yard of 25 acres I had a good place to ride , and soon had a following of the neighborhood kids to watch and asking to ride . Well the next thing I know my uncle was standing with all us kids watching us as we each took a ride and he asked if he could take a ride ..... :surprised: ... now you got to understand I was a little bit scared of him in that he did not talk to much to me and add to the fact he was 6 ' 6 and built like a barrel . I now understand a lot more than I did then he had a career as a Police officer and made the rank of Sargent and then changed over to the Fire Department and retired as Chief, .... so it was with some reluctance on my part to let him take a ride if he was 300 lbs he was and ounce.
The helmet did not fit him so he easily stepped around the small bike and sat down after a quick explanation by me on how it worked and what levels and such did what he slowly started to ride off .....

Only to have the bike kick out from under him and send him flat on his back with the bike roaring at full speed kicking up and down between his legs as he held it out away from him as he lay flat on his back ... .... :surprised::yikes: Well all us kids ran up to him and quickly got the bike away from him and asked if he was OK ....he was and he quietly left us to continue riding .... this and two crashes made a big enough impact on me to know I will not be a rider .... one crash was I tried to cross one of the ditches out in the field only to stall it in the opposite bank and land with the bike in the water , it did not help I still had my school clothes on and new shoes ..... the seconded crash was a freshly plowed part of the field and a missed gear shift that had me bouncing for a short time in 3rd gear until one bounce set me in one direction and the bike in the other and if I had not had my helmet on I would have had a good knock on the head from the handle bar, as it was it bent them up good to the point they needed to be replaced . I did not ride much after that and soon out grow the bike and it was passed on the my little brother ....of no fear ....he had it less than one summer before it was a basket case and in pieces down in the cellar for many years .

About 5 years ago in a fit of cleaning I gave it to a friend who at the time was looking for a Honda mini trail 90.... He in turn started to repair it and found that it was to rich for him to repair and gave it to his friend and current owner of the local Honda Motorcycle Shop ..... The owner had his crew work on restoring it to show room condition and it now is on display along with other collector bikes in the back room I was able to find the owners manual and other paper work from when my dad purchased it from his dad back in the early 70's along with the rare back tail light assembly . this part was one of the first things to be broken and loss on these bikes granted it was not in grant shape having been left out in the weather and other abuses but still very repairable ...
Bill G.
Sorry for the long wind but the fingers felt like tapping the keys tonight ...

I don't know what it is, maybe the style in which it is written, but I really like it....a special story that will be one of my favorites. I am so glad that Royal posted it for you because it is too good a story to be hidden as a response to another story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I never owned a motorcycle of any kind......always a bit scared of them.I did used to build and ride/race dune buggys.Thanks for a interesting post!

I never had a motorcycle as a kid but nobody I knew did either. Of course back then there was no money for a thing like that. There sure would have been plenty of places to ride them though but we got in plenty of trouble with our bicycles>

That uncle setting on that bike must have been something. Must have looked like a suppository!!:clap:

After some thought I have to admit asking about if he was OK may not have been my first question ....:blush: it may have been about the bike ...
But it sure hit home just how dangerous things could of been with him holding that little bike kicking and roaring between his legs ....It was only after he had retired and what turned out to be his last few months of life that I started to see him as a person with warmth and humor and not a very stern unapproachable authoritative figure .....even sadder was he lived next door to us for all that time .... To this day I remember him for a bit of dry humor it was on a very hot summer day and for some reason I complained about the air conditioner not working or having such an extra in the car ..his dry answer was 2 at 55....
Huh ?
DOH !
2 open windows at 55 mile per hour .... (back in the day of reduced speed limits and 55 mph max.. highway speed )
Bill G.

it seems many kids did not get off as easy as you did. I saw many cases of road rash, some in my family:biggrin: and i busted myself up but good racing Motocross in the 60's-70's.
Enjoyed the story:thumbup::thumbup:

Nice that its now being restored. We enjoy saving the old bikes and being able to ride them ourselves or seeing someone else enjoy them. One can only imagine some of the stories that go with them.

George-CT

a Honda Trail bike back then. One of my rules that my daddy set upon me as a girl in the seventh grade was to NEVER....EVER....sit upon a motorcyle of any kind. Of course since I was smarter than my daddy back then, I didn't pay much attention to him. One of my seventh grade boyfriends owned such a bike, his name was Wylie Vaughn. When he offered me a ride home one day I dreamily accepted. He got me almost to our dirt drive, and for some reason I looked behind us, and who else but my daddy in his green GMC pick up was RIGHT behind us! I knew I was in big trouble. The big chicken Wylie Vaughn realized it to, dropped me off at the end of the drive way, and took off like a scaredy cat! Walking down that drive way was one of the longest walks I ever took. When I started around the garage to go into the side door, there sat daddy at the kitchen table.

He didn't spank me, but he grounded me, and after that Wylie Vaughn was history!

Of course the old double standard was present. Both my brothers drove motorcycles at different times in their growing up years, but I, since I was the only girl was not allowed to. Just didn't seem fair, but although I adored my dad and I was his princess, this rule was forever present. Said I had no business on the back of a motorcyle!

I enjoyed your story, and sounded like yours went thru some pretty trying times too!

Write more stories, believe me, it makes you feel better and keeps you in touch with a lot of great people here! Thanks for sharing this part of your childhood. :)

I had on ald honda 90 trail bike many years back. I loved that thing. It never let me down and I spent a lot of time in the woods with it.

Calm seas

mikie