Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Super Tuning

geckokid

Anyone super tune there detectors?

Super Tuning is a technique to get better depth and sensitivity out of any machine that has an adjustable Threshold control.

The Threshold control is normally used to set the level of hum in the All Metal mode. A light steady hum is usually desired so that any small or deep target will cause a change in the audio sound. To Super Tune a detector, put it in the Discriminate mode and turn the Threshold knob all the way to the clockwise position. At this point, the All Metal mode will no longer operate correctly, but you will see an increase in depth and sensitivity while hunting in the Discriminate mode.

not sure how the threshhold works on tesoros but on most machines i have used this would make the threshold very loud and hard to use. maybe i'm missing something here.

Supertuning involves turning the threshold to max while being in the Disc mode. If you have a sensitivity switch, set the sens to a light chatter while in AM and before maxing the threshold. I t works better on the Cibola and Vaquero and any Maxboost detector. I wouldn't do it on a Tejon for fear of pulling the trigger and killing my eardrums ( in headphones) with a loud threshold sound. Same happens if you push the PP button. The threshold is overly sensitive to the transmitting amplifiers, giving better depth in Disc, but overloaded in AM.

I've tried it a couple of times with my V but I'm not aware that it helped any. However, on air tests there is a definite advantage when you, "supertune" it.

I have done it befor when the targets were getting few and far between and can get an extra 2 to 3 inches and sometimes more in depth. But I wind up digging more small iron when I do it that way. Sometimes its worth it though...d2

Response to chuck,ky - in discriminate mode on most Tesoros (at least those that I'm aware of) the threshold is silent no matter how it's set. It would drive you bonkers in all metal as you mention, however.
HH
BB

When the MD is Super tuned ALL-METAL THRESHOLD will not work. It only works is Disc. mode. You will gain a few more (2-3) inches and sensitivity to the smaller items too.

The Tejon is already "supertuned" electronically and you will not achieve anything by turning up the threshold on this detector.

I know it does work on my Old Bandito's 1 and 2. HH R-n-R