Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunray x-1 vs. Garrett Pro pointer

Does anyone have a STRONG opinion of which of these two pinpointers is better? And, if so, what is your reasoning? I have the Garrett and am happy with it. I am just wondering if anyone thinks the X-1 is THAT much better?

I do like how the X-1 attaches to the detector. I mean the clamp, not the wire. I think Garrett should make some sort of clamping system to hook the Pro Pointer to the Explorer. It puts the pointer in a good position for use in contrast to having it in it's holster on your hip.

Just do a thread search. This question gets asked every week here and on every other forum on detecting. And it's the same 5 guys typing the same thing out every week.

bgscofield said:
And it's the same 5 guys typing the same thing out every week.

Don't be angry X-1 lover :)

I use the EXII and I believe I can recover quicker with the Pro-pointer, but you're right about convenience ... I use the X-1 more and more because it's attached to the detector. Since you have the SE and can use the VCO pinpoint mode when switching to the pointer, it's probably the better choice.

X-1 Hands down. I used both, but now only the X-1 If I am close to other items it lets me know what direction to go, and often when I have iron falsing when I open the plug the x-1 tells me if I should keep going. And with the pinpoint it tells me how far I am from the target. Check out my videos on you tube where I am using it and you will see what I mean. Its under montanagold59635.

n/t

bgscofield said:
I've never claimed to love anything but myself!

:lol:

I think Montana is correct as it applies to VCO pinpoint mode of the E-Trac and SE. I just don't think it's what it's cracked up to be if you're using the EXII or XS. I still own one, and use it often, but I'm not in love with it as much as bgscofield is in love with himself! :biggrin: The all metal, no-motion, vibrate/beep faster the closer you get aspects of the pro-pointer make recovery quick! No waving the magic x-1 wand over your dirt pile (or worse, handfuls of dirt) waiting to hear the beep again. You just point it and intuitively follow it to the target.

Well not sure about you guys but as long as i can find the target I'm 100% satisfied :thumbup: I have used both types of pin pointers and i have too say thay both have there problems. happy hunting everyone :thumbup:

Shambler said:
You just point it and intuitively follow it to the target.

That works great when you are using a Fisher and you are finding targets with no trash around them. But the Explorer finds coins with 6 other targets in the hole with it. With the X-1, you can tell the difference between each 6 targets and focus on the ONE target that you do want.

One of these days I will need to video tape how long it takes you to recover a target with your toy probe and post it here. :) hahahaha. Will be the best marketing tool Sunray ever got! :crazy:

The entire length of the Pro Pointer is 'hot'. Sometimes that is a disadvantage. You can't tell if the target is near the side of the hole or it's deeper. Frankly I use both. They both tell me something different. Any advantage I can get recovering targets more accurately is worth the little extra weight having both on me when hunting.

Somebody a couple of post above is absolutely correct. This subject has been hammered many times. Instead of a curt nasty response one might suggest using the search function available on the forum and read all the previous posts. I don't think anything new can be offered about the question asked. Jim

I love my Sun Ray pinpointer. I've had one for years. I have a very hard time detecting without it.

BUT, if you have more than one detector...... it does start getting a little pricey to have a Sun Ray for each of them. I can see why the Garrett pinpointers are so popular with some. I have an old Vibraprobe I keep around when using one of my backup detectors. It isn't in the same league with the Sun Ray or the Garrett, but it is better than nothing.

The nice thing about the Sun Ray is that since it is simply a miniature coil, you can use it in discriminate or pinpoint mode (motion or non-motion) on your detector. As for which is better, I guess it depends on what you need a pinpointer to do for you. Like bgscofield6 mentioned above, since I started using Minelabs, I frequently have the problem of having more that 1 target in a hole. It is nice to be able to sort them out.

I am glad these topics are revisited every once in a while. Though I have been swinging a detector for a while, on occasion a helpful tip or idea shows up when these things are discussed. :starwars:

Good luck to all of you.

Rich (Utah)

I have the sunray for the etrac, also had one on the sovereign but a Rich says if you use various detectors it gets a bit expensive having one on each. I find i use the pocket uni-probe most of the time as i usually take 2 or 3 detectors with me, works with the whites dual field and Excalibur too. The uni-probe is the predecessor to the pistol-probe, but they have inconveniences like other handhelds that the sunrays don't, they need batteries and they also cause interference. If the uni-probe dies before me i'll order the pistol-probe the same day(if i haven't found a secont hand uniprobe as spare first)

bgscofield6 said:
But the Explorer finds coins with 6 other targets in the hole with it. With the X-1, you can tell the difference between each 6 targets and focus on the ONE target that you do want.

And we have the winning reply!!! It's not unusual for the Explorer to find both a coin and rusty nail in the same hole, or coin and multiple rusty nails, or multiple coins and multiple rusty nails. My record is 7 indian head cents in a hole that was eventually about 16 inches deep, just kept following the coins down with the X1. The tone ID alone on the X1 is awesome, depth is good also. I guarantee you I will have my hole closed up and be on to my next target long before the toy probes finishing chasing rusty nails.

Its also not unusual for the Explorer to lose a LOT of depth once you dig a hole, Explorers do not like air spaces between the coil and the target. Case in point I once got a solid indian head cent signal, dug up a real nice 1887 indian head cent. There was a nail off to one side of the hole, but I thought the X1 was hearing another target deeper still in the center. I stood up and scanned with the stock coil...nothing, no hint of a target. I was about to close up the hole when I gave the X1 another crack at it...yes there was something down there. I dug another 4 inches and bingo another 1887 indian head cent stucked to a 1886 seated dime!

X1 there is no equal

bgscofield said:
One of these days I will need to video tape how long it takes you to recover a target with your toy probe and post it here.

I'll take that challenge. I've seen it though. I walk away with 4 nails and some silver, while you're still putting a spell on handfuls of dirt with your magic wand. :lol:

Shambler said:
bgscofield said:
One of these days I will need to video tape how long it takes you to recover a target with your toy probe and post it here.

I'll take that challenge. I've seen it though. I walk away with 4 nails and some silver, while you're still putting a spell on handfuls of dirt with your magic wand. :lol:

That wand turns dirt into silver. :hot:

For me, I prefer the SunRay. I like the ability to chase the same target in the hole, as the pinpointer is just a very small coil working thru the works of the machine, and has the discrimination. But the the most important, with the SunRay, since it's attached to the machine, I don't spend a lot of time going back and looking for a pinpointer I left laying on the ground by the last target I searched for. You can probably determine by now, it's just a personal preference, and everyone thinks they are correct with their reasons..HH & Have a great year.

I must say, I have not tried the Garrett. But unless it has tone ID this is true...

The biggest difference for me is: When I'm hunting for deep stuff (like always), some deep iron false signals just have to be dug. With the Sun Ray probe, I will open up a nine inch hole stick in the probe and get a correct tone ID instantly. If it is iron - close it up - took two seconds. You cannot do that with any hand held pinpointer.

HH - BF

I have always believed in listening to the opinions of people that have more experience at something than I do.
I have a Garrett Pro Pointer and I think it's fantastic ! But ... there's a lot of reasons why countless long time treasure hunters prefer the Sunray.

Here are the only three advantages that I can think of - that the Garrett has over the Sunray ...

(1) - The Sunray adds weight to an already heavy machine - ( adds 11 oz. ) .

(2) - Seaching in cracks between stones on foundations, etc.- it's a lot easier to get around because the ProPointer is not wired to the machine.

(3) - I use a system that helps make winter hunting a lot easier - I use Tent Stakes to mark my targets - instead of digging each target I find .
I carry 6 yellow tent stakes in my pouch ( Walmart's for $3.00 ) - I find six good targets - pinpoint them with the ET - mark the center of each of the six targets with a tent stake.
Then I put the E-Trac and headphones in a high and dry place - out of the snow. Then return to the six targets that are marked with the tent stakes with just the ProPointer in one hand and my digger in the other. This way I don't have to worry about mud or snow getting all over the machine or in my headphones every time I put the machine down!
This system is also a great time saver on nasty days. I could not hunt this way if my pinpointer was attached to the machine.

HH ! --- Mark