Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sunray on ace 250?

cavinkeven

I've noticed that I haven't seen many ace250 users that have the sunray probe yf-1. Anybody that has this combo that can give me some comments about it would be appreciated. I've read alot of good comments about the sunray on other detectors, just not much on the ace250/sunray combination. Just kinda curious why it dont seem like many ace250 users have it. I'm waiting on my ace250 to arrive tommorrow. I'm new to detecting, but know I'll love it and have alot of promising sites that I've always wanted a detector for. So not knowing for sure that detecting will be for me is not an issue. Just want to make sure it's worth the money to add it to my ace250 or to buy a diff probe. thanks!!

I read the review, sounds good. Just wondering why I see so many others that have other detectors that swear by the sunray, but not many ace250 users that have it. Just kinda curious as to why. Thanks for the review though!!!!

My thought on the Ace250 with the Suray is that it would kinda cumbersome to operate because of the need to hold down the pinpoint button with one hand while using the other hand for the pinpointer.

With a pinpointer you want to be working in non-motion pinpoint mode, not swing-n-ding mode. So unless you modify the unit to add a switch for pinpoint mode you're going to be using two hands to pinpoint.

Kinda disspointing really.... :(

If fact, I've contacted Garrett about modifying the Ace software to recognize a double-click on the pinpoint button to hold the unit in pinpoint mode, but they declined due to the time/money involved in modifying the software and downloading the new code into the machine.

Bummer :(

I don't think you have to be in pinpoint mode to use the sunray. Not that I've heard of anyway... I'm sure somebody will let us know for sure, but from the review I read of the sunray on an ace250, and from what I remember. It said that's one of the advantages, its just like using your coil, only smaller. That would have to mean that you're still getting you ID and such. No ID in pinpoint mode. I think you're prob wrong on the pinpointing thing. We'll find out when somebody that knows more bout the sunray than us chimes in on it. Thanks for the comment though!!! This is what it's all about, all of us putting our thoughts together. Best way to learn other than being out in the field, which I could be right now if I had me an led light modded on my ace already. lol this will be done!!!!!!!!! All I need is my caving helmet(8 led light and halogen mounted on it) and a digger and my ace!!!!!! SOON SOON SOON

The sunray probe is fairly new for the 250. I was thinking about it too for my 250. A few other replies for this post has me thinking. Not to get off track, but I just recently got the sunray probe on a different detector of mine. If the machine was in the detect mode and I switch the sunray to probe, the probe will perform like the coil and display everything on the screen. If the machine was in pinpoint mode and I switch the sunray to probe, then it will display as a pinpointer. One of the replies has me thinking about having to hold the pinpoint button down on the 250 so the sunray would operate in pinpoint. My other machine, I hit the pinpoint button to toggle between detect and pinpoint, but don't have to hold the button in for pinpoint. I wouldn't want to hold the pinpoint button on with one hand while using the other hand for the probe.
I hope someone out there can clear this up

I know that the Sun Ray probe is built very nice. No question about it! I see that everyone is very happy with it. Never have I read one bad thing about it. This post is not about the performance of the probe.
But for me the greatest thing about the Ace 250 is the weight of the unit. I really don't want to add 11 ounces to my detector. That's the same as 13 AA batteries. I could clip my 7 ounce electronic probe on my detector if I want to. If I could make the 250 even lighter I would. It's just my opionion.
It could be argued that since the 250 is so light, what's another 11 oz?

Yeah, but the probes are basically a pinpoint, just more precise cause u can get it down in the hole. I don't see why u would really need to hit pinpoint with the probe, It would be like any other probe, just that it will still identify what is in the hole unlike the others. Like somebody said in another post, its the same as sticking your coil down in the hole, a 1" coil essentially. No point in using the pinpoint button that I can see. I just got home from my first full day with my ace250. My sniper coil was here. just put it on. man is it alot lighter!!! I'm bout dead from swinging that thing!!!! I'm not used to doing anything physical much anymore lol. Didn't find anything but a litte bit of change and some junk. Nothing old.....Man I cannot believe how much junk there is around these old homeplaces and farms. I don't see how anybody can find anything much good without luck. I found myself not even wanting to dig anything after about 20 min. lol. Found me a lesche at a local outdoor store that sells white's detectors. That thing is awesome!!!!! They actually have a digger at wal mart now that is very similar to the lesche!!! for like $8 or close. It looks very good and well made and cheap. It's called the Big something or other. Very shiny, shaped almost just like the lesche but with a weed/root cutter on the end. It looked like it would be a pretty good digger, especially for such a low price!!!! Somebody maybe can try it out.

My 2 cents, can't see paying almost the cost of the 250 for the probe! As other have said the LIGHT weight and performance are the reasons I bought the 250 in the first place. So I'll stick with my Bullseye II. kalei

Dirtrob: The YF-1 works in both disc and pinpoint, the same as all of the other Sun Ray probes. I did not mean to confuse anyone or imply that it only works in pinpoint mode. The point I was trying to make is on the Ace 250 for some reason, when using the probe, and the target is deep, pushing the pinpoint button, increases the depth of the probe by about one to one and one half inches, and narrows the field off of the end of the probe, making it much easier to locate deep targets and targets in the wall of the hole, HH Steve

I don't use pinpoint with the Sun Ray. No need really. Why would one need to pinpoint with a tiny coil only one-inch in diameter?

Bill

I think what I'm getting at is, it work just like the coil, but the pinpoint mode for the ace must have the pinpoint button held in. You can't tap it and have it latched in pinpoint, then tap it again to go out of pinpoint mode and into detect mode. Like my minelab, as where I don't have to keep holding the pinpoint in. So the sunray probe for the ace works in both detect and pinpoint mode, it's just a person would have to hold the pinpoint button in on the machine in order to run the probe in a hole to a target without motion. The other way is to swing the the probe over a target in motion if the pinpoint button on the ace was not held in. I'm trying here...

I know what you mean about locking your pinpoint (true all metal) on. I think Garrett could incorporate that in the software. Others have done it.
I added a trigger to my 250 so it pinpoints like a Whites machine. This way I can flip the trigger forward to lock it in the pinpoint mode. Or momentary pull it to pinpoint also. I don't know if you have seen it so I posted the pictures.