Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunday jaunt

Parkit

I hit one of my old favorite sites, used to be a school football field but now it's used for soccer. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's a lot of sweat for very little payoff. Today was a good day.

The dime is a 64d. One ring is marked "Please return to Tiffany & Company New York 925". The other ring is tiny but marked .925, with 2 hallmarks I have to look up. Also the usual assortment of clad.

The monogrammed ring is a beauty.

The monogrammed ring is a beauty.
That's the kinda thing Im into detecting for.

What kinda detector you using?

Hi David, I'm using the ACE 250. I bought two of them about 7 years ago, I liked the first one so much that I wanted to have a backup if number one ever quit on me. It hasn't, but I still like having two. One of my brothers used my backup at a different area a couple years ago, and after a whole 20 seconds of "instruction" he found a nice little 14k Artcarved band. I swear, he just turns any detector on and just stands there while anything gold within 100 yards makes it's way over to him. I've owned 9 different machines over the years, and this is the first model I've ever bought two of. I was in jewelry mode on the soccer field, the Tiffany ring was maybe 4 inches down, the little monogrammed ring was actually not on the soccer field but outside a playground area nearby. Someone had hit that particular area not too long before I got there (poor job of covering their diggings), so I hit "outside the lines" of a bark chip area, up against the outside of the plastic barriers put down to contain the bark chips. That's at least the third .925 piece I've found in the past couple of years doing that and I recommend it, highly. Seems like most people lock in on the bark chips under the playground equipment, and rightly so due to the large amount of easily recoverable coins. But since that had already been done at this particular place, I hit in the spillage outside of the barriers and the ring was no more than half an inch down, easy to flip out with my probe. The dime was at maybe 3 inches, it's only the second silver coin recovered by me at this location in six years of hitting it. When it first came up I was like "wow, how did a shiny new dime get that deep so quick?" because a silver coin was the last thing I was expecting. Duh. I actually had to look at the date to convince myself it was indeed silver. Obviously I'm not done with this field, but it's getting hot out and it might have to wait for October.

Steve

Parkit said:
Hi David, I'm using the ACE 250. I bought two of them about 7 years ago, I liked the first one so much that I wanted to have a backup if number one ever quit on me. It hasn't, but I still like having two. One of my brothers used my backup at a different area a couple years ago, and after a whole 20 seconds of "instruction" he found a nice little 14k Artcarved band. I swear, he just turns any detector on and just stands there while anything gold within 100 yards makes it's way over to him. I've owned 9 different machines over the years, and this is the first model I've ever bought two of. I was in jewelry mode on the soccer field, the Tiffany ring was maybe 4 inches down, the little monogrammed ring was actually not on the soccer field but outside a playground area nearby. Someone had hit that particular area not too long before I got there (poor job of covering their diggings), so I hit "outside the lines" of a bark chip area, up against the outside of the plastic barriers put down to contain the bark chips. That's at least the third .925 piece I've found in the past couple of years doing that and I recommend it, highly. Seems like most people lock in on the bark chips under the playground equipment, and rightly so due to the large amount of easily recoverable coins. But since that had already been done at this particular place, I hit in the spillage outside of the barriers and the ring was no more than half an inch down, easy to flip out with my probe. The dime was at maybe 3 inches, it's only the second silver coin recovered by me at this location in six years of hitting it. When it first came up I was like "wow, how did a shiny new dime get that deep so quick?" because a silver coin was the last thing I was expecting. Duh. I actually had to look at the date to convince myself it was indeed silver. Obviously I'm not done with this field, but it's getting hot out and it might have to wait for October.

Steve
I always take time to hit the edges, myself. Anything from bench seats to low walls... Or the chip retention barriers you mention.
Walkways, water fountains, paths from parking areas are occasionally productive, too.
In these places I don't find much but trash and the occasional coin. But every now and then a decent jewelry item pops up.
One very nice diamond ring came out from under a two seat bench, once.

I liked the Ace 250 myself. I always wished it had a selectable all metal mode, and not just for pinpointing. But I wish that for most software driven detectors these days.
I sold mine to Mick in Dubbo, now wishing I'd kept it. I think I'll end up with another one eventually.