Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sunday Cruise..... Unexpected Visit!

Ron J

Sunday was a hangie day...kinda bored, called brother, Al, and took a ride locally. Drove down to Tucks Point, a public boat ramp, that faces towards the mouth of Beverly Harbor, where you can see most of the islands. Nice brisk day, to be eyeballing the ocean, wishing it was boating season, but its not! Too cold,too choppy,too risky,period. I noticed a vessel flying towards the harbor, of course it was the Coasties,taking a cruise along the Northshore, from Gloucester, roughly 25 miles Northwest from where i was viewing.[attachment 82510 100_0980.jpg] I took a few shots, hoping they could be good photo's![attachment 82511 100_0983.jpg] [attachment 82512 100_0986.jpg]As they entered the Harbor, i followed down some streets,parking lots etc. only a local could know.[attachment 82513 100_0988.jpg] Suddenly it hit me, i said to Al, "Know where they are headed? To the Beverly public landing, and bet to the "Beverly House of Pizza"! I quickly drove to the public landing,as the boys docked the 25ftr. Two of the crew got out,but didn't go to the pizza joint. Oh well, partially right! They went into the Harbor masters office instead. There was still a crew member on board, so Al and i walked the plank, to have a photo op, and talk to the boys.[attachment 82514 100_0992.jpg] Turns out there were three crew still on board! Didn't think 5 people could fit into the house. The vessel wasn't marked what station it was from,kind of unusual, so i asked the young man at the Helm, "out of Gloucester i presume?" "Yes " the Helmsman replied. I asked if he knew a friend of mine, Bob Breaker? Again a polite, and a true professional reply,with respect, He answered,with a smile, "Yes we know CHIEF Breaker" I mentioned how Chief Breaker was one of my Techs, a few yrs ago, and how he arranged for me to take the similar cruise,they were currently on, except in a 47 ftr. We asked what heated the house, seeing they were powered by outboards. He replied with a generator of some kind,not getting into detail. A few minutes later, the other two crew members returned,and we exchanged, "how ya doings" and the like. They proceeded to get underway,as Al stated to the crew, "Don't catch too many Striper's out there!" We all had a chuckle out of that...a true die hard fisherman! As they left, Al and i were very envious not leaving with them!! [attachment 82515 100_0993.jpg] Summer will come soon enough, i hope... Rj

You got some nice pic's Ron. A nice bunch of guys with a tough job. One of my buddies knows one of the Coasties pretty well and when we are cruising "en pack" on the Illinois river, and the CG goes by, they always slow down and over the PA, loudly asks if we have any beer on board. In unison we all say NO SIR. He laughs, waves and moves on, sometimes taking the time to tell a tale or two. Taking up the whole transom of my buddy's boat is the name of his boat.........[size=x-large]HIGHLIFE[/size].......which is his favorite brand of beverage.

and they have a Coast Guard Station there. I wondered who you have to know to be stationed in such a place!!

Thanks for taking us along with you:thumbup:

We always enjoyed the Coast Guard guys. As kids we used to visit them a lot at the lighthouses. Usually Southwest ledge in New London Harbor, Race Rock off the tip of Fishers Island, NY, Montauck Point on Long Island, and Block Island. Pretty sure they are all on electronic stewardship now. They sound the same, just no people. Not sure if Point Judith changed over or not. that was a fun one also. Great bunch of people. I enjoy your pictures for sure. The smell of salt air and seagulls screaming come right to mind.

Geo-CT

PS, hey how about this quick warm up, snow is going fast here, ice still there but maybe the rain tonight will take care of it also.

St. Thomas is my idea of paradise, gorgeous place and the last I heard, one of the top 10 beaches in the world. I think is was Horseshoe Bay, or something like that. I remember standing on the hillside looking down at the almost pure white sand outlined with the aqua marine water..........Oh My.........

I like the fact that it is not a dang desert like Aruba, Bonaire and most of the islands down there.

Nice sand on the nude beach, that is what they tell me, I didn't notice any sand myself, or water for that matter.

n/t

that be a headache machine if they are in a hurry in rough seas!
We have twin 225's on the 31 foot and it will do 50 mph, that 25' would fly!

n/t