Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sun Ray Stealth X-5 search coil??

Detector_Pat

Hello all. I have an Explorer II. I am thinking about getting a Sun Ray Stealth X-5, 5.5" search coil. The cost is $189.95. I noticed that Kelly** sells a 5" EXcelerator search coil for $99.95. My questions is, is the cheaper coil just as good as the Sun Ray? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Tnx, Pat

I can't give you a comparison, but I have Sun-ray 5" & 8" coils. Really like them both. Great in trashy areas. About 2 years ago, I recovered a 1867 Indian approx. 8" deep using the 5" coil. Only the very top of the X-1 probe was out of the hole. Conditions must have been just right, as I've been told that no way would I find a penny sized target that deep with a 5" coil. All I can say is "I did, and had a witness to prove it." I was lucky on getting my Sun-ray coils. Both were bought on ebay about 3 years ago, and were with my backup XS. Got a real bargain on the the machine, probe, and coils. Checking on ebay is something you might want to consider, unless your reluctant to buy a used coil. Mine were fine, used the 8" today. 1 merc. and a hand full of modern change, from a pull tab infested park. Good Luck with whatever you selection is!

I to have the x-5 and the x-8 coil from Sunray,, tell you the truth,,,I like the x-8 much better.. The X-5 coil is a good coil,,, and it separates great,,, But i feel the x-8 does just as good... Plus gets the extra depth,,. I pulled a wheatie at nine inches next to a nail, and it sounded great.... When i opened up the hole and the probe nolled,,, I kept digging and aver i pulled the nail.... I poped out a wheatie... If i was you i would look into a 8 inch... I just like the depth and it covers a little more ground!!!! And to answer your question... I haven't tried the Excelerator but i hear it's just as good,, possibly better!!!!! Good luck on whatever you choose!!!
Derrell

I have the SR 5" and the Minelab 8". I like them both but the SR stays on my detector in trashy spots. Never used the SR 8" but have only heard good things about them. Love my SR 5" coil, though!

Get the Excellerator one, for the money you cant beat it. the performance is the same. they actually make a 6" one also, Ive got the 5" which came in a used detector purchase I made. I rarely use it though, it really is only necessary for the worst of sites. The X8 or minelabs 8" coils are a better overall choice if you dont have one of those that would be the way to do. Better depth and still real good seperation.

Neil

Sun Ray 5 and 8 inch here also, very good coils. Got a 1902 indian about 8 inchs down with the 5 inch and it was under a tree root. The 8 inch is very stable, I use it in the thick brush and in the woods at old house sites. A buddy has the excellerator and he loves it. JOHN

Pat, I have the Exclerator E coil, and there are diggers on here that can Tell you in a trashy area it is perfect , However it doesnt go as deep, but if your searching in small areas and extremely noisy and trashy then its what ya need , last year digging in the trash and in small areas i found over 50 gold rings ,and almost 1 pound of silver, so for me i love the small coil, good luck in what ever you choose.