Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Struck goal

Jim Hodge

Found my first gold ring today in a tots sand lot. Have found other rings in the past but this is the first gold 14K one. This is a childs ring with a blue stone of some sort. Another ring that I previously found has '925A' stamped inside. Any idea what the numbers designate. It appears silver in color, kinda like stainless steel but is not ferrous as its non magnetic. I've made some cards with various items taped on to see how the V hits them. The 'gold crown' card is easily heard, sounds out nice and cleaar. The card with five pieces of small 'placer gold' is iffy at best. Have to have the coil almost touching the card to get any response. The gold pieces are about 1/8 inch at least, in one direction. Does this sound reasonable, or have I missed something. No frozen soil here, just a bit foggy with 40 something car pileup on Hwy 99. Have a good one. JH

Seems to me you should not need to scrub the coil on the target to get a result.
But I'm certainly not a nugget shooter.
Someone with good info should be along, soon, to give advice.
Good luck!
Congrats on the ring!
rmptr

Did you test the small gold in All Metal? That's nearly a must for small pickers etc. and you won't see any great depth - an inch or two at best.
BB

Hay Jim,

Gongrats on tha ring. I love findin gold.

Those nuggetts are harder to pick up than jewelry.

Tha best nuggett detectors will only get a couple of
inches on them, if that much. The designated nugget
detector is not much more sensative than a Vaquero,
but thay do have features to handle bad ground
conditions better than tha V.

I don't think there are many VLF units out there that
are more sensative to gold than tha V. Excluding tha
high end gold deticated detectors of course.

Tha V is more sensative to small gold than the Eldorado.

I have found peices gold jewelry in tha ground that only
weighed a few grains.

Most detectors will not respond to that under any
circumstances.

Tha V is very sensative to small gold. I'm not a prospector,
and few of them even use metal detectors because they
are so limited at finding small gold at any depth.

But I do find a lot of small gold jewelry. That's tha most
common kind. Most people don't even bother lookin for it.
But I do because it adds up fast and gives a good pay back.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Congrats on your 1st gold ring! That is some good hunting. The 925 stamp on the other ring means silver. That is a good find also, Beale.

Thanks Tabdog. I will send you all the tabs I got yesterday. Was searching just out of all metal, so as not to miss anything. Was trying to clean up the sand yard a bit so it would be better next time. Was certainly plesasantly surprised when the ring popped up. Immediately knew what it was. The placer gold was keepers from when I was in the service 66-70, we would go above Sacramento and do a little panning and sluice boxing. Thanks for clearifying the sensitivity to gold for the V. JH

BB; No I was just out of all metal, the same setting I was using when I found the gold ring. When searching in this setting I was surprised at how iffy some iron was. It would hit in one direction but not another, so I'm sure I passed over a lot of stuff due to orientation. I have hearing loss (too many hammars and skill saws) so I use Killer Bees ear phones. Some times there would just be a whisper of a hit, but just once. Wuld have to go to all metal to pin point it and usually it was ferrous metal. But I imagined that sort of hit to be like small gold, Right or wrong thinking?? The gold ring hit just like a coin, and it wasn't very deep. JH

[size=medium]Hay Jim,

Tha gold rings can hit hard if thay have any size to them.

Tha round shape helps give a good hit.

If you cut tha ring and seperate tha ends a little, so it's no
longer a continious ring, it will sound different and less
defined.

The discremination mode of tha Vaquero will not pick up
some small iron. If it did, it would be more like tha Tejon.

Just take a 3" or 4" nail, for comparison.

With tha V, a nail will respond if it is standing on end.

12-11-4.jpg

If it is on it's side as shown in the next photo, it will give
a double response usually.

12-11-3.jpg

If it is as shown in the next photo, it will not respond.

12-11-2.jpg

If you hunt jewelry in tha descrimination mode, you can
miss some peices of small jewelry that could be picked
up in all metal. These are usually not gold items, but some
items like small gold chains, may not respond in tha disc
mode.

I hunt for gold jewelry in all metal with tha V.

It will pick up BB's, strait pins, little peices of rusty staples
and so on.

But even in tha disc mode tha V can pick out very small
pieces of gold jewelry with good depth. Sometimes, it can
find a foil or tiny gold item that would normally be masked
by many machines, including a lot of Tesoro'es.

Hope tha helps to answer some of your questions.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog[/size]

When I do good in a spot, I hit it again from another angle, and in only a couple times did at a third angle. These are only in spots that gave me enough reason to really work the area - and if all goes well, I'll then try different detector(s).
I have one old spot I have hit hard with several machines, many angles, again wet/dry soil conditions. Only because the spot did me well, and if the landscape changes, maybe due to fire, I'll hit it again for targets missed where the brush/trees limited working the spot. The finds were well worth it years ago when I hit the spot - had almost a year experience back then when I found the place.

= = so they couple the detectors signal very well. It's why they "hit so hard," compared to nuggets.

Yes, that is good information and helps explain the hit no hit due to orientation. I think I know what a bobby pin or bent wire sounds like, learned that early on. Pull tabs, with their opening, hit good like a ring. I'm not sure I could stand listening to the all metal mode for primary detecting, but I guess you have to try it to know for sure. Thanks to all for the information, helps shorten the learning curve. JH