Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Strange Days...... An Ocean Kayak Story (updated)

bing! (L.A.)

Strange Malibu weather....
Launched pretty late and got in the water around 9am with my friend Paul. Was a so-so day catching some rock fish, sandies and calicos. Nothing special, mostly shorts and a couple of legals, all released. Nothing special, but something was strange. The weather was freaky. Early in the day, we watched some gnarly thunderstorms in the distance. At times, twin bolts of lighting traversed the skyline and hit the horizon. Over and over. We actually started taking pics of the phenom. Towards noon, the wind turned chilly and as I was wearing rash guard shirt and pants, I started to shiver. I told Paul that I may want to head back. Paul said that he wanted to stay for an hour or two more. Ok. As I was cold, I lost my drive to fish. Just tossed a swimbait every now and then while I managed my proximity to the launch point. From the beginning, the wind was blowing north to south. We had paddled north so that the wind would drift us back to our launch point. By the time we were back at the launch point the wind picked up to around 20-25 miles. I could hear my line whistle in the wind. I continued to toss the swimbait but the wind was just getting to me. I motioned to Paul that I was heading back in and then, the proverbial shit hit the fan. We had drifted south of the launch point with the wind blowing north to south. It took us 30 minutes to paddle 150 yards under a strong head wind. I went past the launch point a couple hundred feet to give me time to stow my gear and still end up adjacent to the launch point. I leashed my rods, put my reels in the hull of the yak as well as all other tackle. In a span of a couple of minutes, the wind kicked up to 35 mph but now it was going south to north. At this point it was a struggle to get back to shore. In a few more seconds, the wind went to a blistering 50 mph (that

We kayaked the Ausable River day before yesterday and the Cut River today. What beautiful days on the rivers!!

read it.sounds like you were lucky to have your buddy with you since you were struggling.interesting story bing,bet you felt like squallin'.:biggrin:

n/t

n/t

intimidated by it, just because of how fast things can change like in your story! Glad you made it out okay, but I am afraid I would have soiled myself! :)