Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stock Coil thoughts and reviews

Kenfen

My MXT is on the way, and I didn't quite have the budget for another coil. Can you give me an idea what I'm to expect from the stock coil. I mostly coinshoot in moderately trashy sites up to very trashy sites.

Thanks and I'm glad I found this forum.

Regards,

Kenfen

probably find a new or like new 950 Eclipse coil pretty cheap to replace it because there is a very large following of MXT users who NEVER or VERY SELDOM use that coil.

Reasons? They opt to use a smaller coils, such as the very good 5.3 Eclipse, in order to have a better-balanced, more comfortable feeling unit that handles trashy environments better. Or they have opted for one of White's DD coils, or an after-market DD coil, such as one of the EXcelerators, for the smaller size and/or DD design for handling higher mineralization and/or picking between dense trash.

So, when your MXT arrives, get out there and use it a lot in order to learn it. In trashy or very trashy environments you're going to suffer from good-target masking due to the size and shape of the 950's electromagnetic field. It will do 'OK' for a lot of hunting, and then when you can afford to get a newer coil, you'll have a better appreciation of the benefits of a smaller-than-stock coil for trashier sites.

Monte

If you could only get one smaller coil and mainly hunted coins, what would be your choice? I know that depends on a lot of factors, but just for the sake of discussion, your fave and why.

Regards,

Kenfen

The Eclipse Shooter 4X6 DD.

It is as deep (in my experience) as the Eclipse 5.3

It works better than the 5.3 in the highly mineralized ground I seem to run into :).

It lets me get closer to the fences, bleachers, etc. than the 5.3.

Your mileage may vary.

n/t

I have both the 6X 10 that is on 90% of the time and the 4X6 for those super trashy site, stock coil has never been used on the one I have here now. I like that 6X10 as it will get into some tighter spots and yet still great depth. The 4X6 is the deepest seeking small coil i have ever seen and if your area is real trashy than it may be the one you want for your extra coil, if not the 6X10 and then get the 4X6 later on as the 4X6 dont cover as much ground.

Rick

5.3 Eclipse.

For the trashiest sites I prefer the 5" EXcelerator, and for 'general hunting' applications I would use either my 8" DD EXcelerator or 4

My 8" DD Excelerator stays on about 95% of the time. It's big enough to go deeper than the smaller coils, handles the trash well and it's not too big to handle. If you're going to get serious about detecting, it wouldn't hurt to have at least 3 or 4 coils for just about all the situations you run into. I'm up to 3 coils and once I get the 4.5"x7" Excelerator, I'm good :)

I agree, so, can you list your arsenal? Be nice to see the entire lineup and get a feel for what you have and for what application.

Regards,

Kenfen

I wouldn't really call it an arsenal compared to what some of the people around here have, lol. I have the stock 950, 8" Excelerator and 14" Excelerator. The stock 950 is a pretty decent coil for general detecting. My buddy just bought a MXT a couple of weeks ago (he liked mine and got a good deal on a used one). He uses the stock coil since it's the only one he has. It pin points very well.

The 8" DD Excelerator stays on my MXT most of the time. It goes deep for a coil of its size and has a better detection pattern than the stock coil. It seems to be more sensitive to smaller items as well. Plus it's really nice in trashy areas. I know a lot of people like the 5.3, but the 8" isn't much bigger, allows you to cover more ground and seperates out trash almost as well.

The 14" DD Excelerator is one big coil. It's also one very "chatty" coil. It takes some getting used to, but once you are, it's very nice. This is NOT the coil to use in a trashy park though, lol. Not unless you clean the trash out of the park first with a smaller coil. This coil goes deep and has a large detection area. I'll be going to an Indian campground that was used quite a bit from the early 1800's to the late 1920's. This area was also used by early fur traders and later by white men as an amusement area. There shouldn't be much trash other than old nails and is perfect for using a 14" coil.

I want to get a 4.5" x 7" Excelerator for occaisions where the 8" coil is too round. Like Monte said.