Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Stability

Dok-Ath

I heard many times here that we need stable threshold tone. But when I increase the sensitivity up to 30 and get unstable tone and many other sounds I merely low down thresh tone volume to 0 and with these settings still have very good depth and high sensitivity to small objects hunting in silent mode with IM-12 getting only middle-high tones. It is extremely convenient in All metal as well ( with three metal tones ). No noise at all, good sounds only! What could be wrong here? Why it could not be the best for newbies as me... What I could miss here? Many thanks for any comment!

Noise in the threshold is ground noise which includes soil minerals. The Explorer uses time domain demodulators and digital filtering to eliminate ground noise. The coil primarily and other electronics are not linear, will age, and the Q of the coil changes so one leg of the demodulators that is the output to the averaging circuits and digital filters has two ways to correct this problem and they are Manual and Semi-auto sensitivity. The fainter targets, ultra deep ones, will not be detected if there is sufficient ground noise for them to not be amplified. They will not be processed unless they are above the ground noise in amplitude. It is incorrect to believe that the greatest "sensitivity" is when the threshold is not stable with Manual or Semi-auto sensitivity at the highest setting.

The greater sensitivity is obtained when Semi-auto or manual sensitivity is at the highest setting with a stable threshold.

If the Manual or Semi-auto sensitivity is set to the highest setting and there is ground noise but we drop the sensitivity down to say 28 and the threshold is stable then we actually have fainter signals processed so actually have great depth and sensitivity to faint targets. This is why Minlab tells us to run the sensitivity as high as we can WITH STABILITY. Once in a while you will see a post where someone notices they have great depth with the sensitivity decreased and puzzles as to why. The above explanation is why. There is a real lack of understanding as to how sensitivity works so we assume that even if the threshold is ragged it is better to have the highest setting as indicated by the digital number. Good signals that are at the threshold ragged level are "thrown away" as ground noise.

Good to see you again. I have been wondering if all is well with you.

People seem to think that it is "instability" that generates all the "chatter" (noise) that results with higher sensitivity. There is certainly a portion of the sounds that fall into the category of noise, but of course this all depends upon how you define noise.

If you are in a room with a lot of people talking and you are having trouble hearing the person that is speaking to you, then you might well say that all of the other people's talking is "noise". This is not really the case as their conversation may be just as important as your's (albeit not in to you).

Suppose you put the Explorer in center of an very large shielded room (electrically "quiet") so that the detector is far away from any shielding metal. Now you turn the sensitivity up to 32, then what you hear can truly be called "noise". There is a certain amount of noise that in inherent with any electrical circuit.

If you take the Explorer out in the middle of the desert and suspend it 100 feet above the ground, then you might get somewhat more "chatter" than in the shield room. This is because the environment is more noisy (resulting from electrical interference).

In a typical hunting environment there are targets that vary from minor ground mineralization (yes, that is a target) to large pieces of metal. The detector responds to all of these depending upon the sensitivity setting. Consider looking up at the sky on a dark night (low sensitivity). You may see lots of stars. Then you look through a telescope (greater sensitivity) and you see how many stars that you could not see with the naked eye." Those stars were there all the time. You just could not see them. It is the same way with sensitivity.

I think that it is safe to say that all hunters would like to have the detector only give a target indication if there is something that they are interested in. The problem is that the detector does not know what you are interested in (except for how you set up the discrimination). But, discrimination comes with a penalty that has been much discussed. It seems reasonable to me that if you want to find silver dimes at 10", then you better have the sensitivity set high enough to generate a modest amount of "chatter". If there is a lot of junk targets or heavy ground mineralization, then finding those deep coins is going to be a real challenge. This is why people use different setups for different conditions.

HH,
Glenn

Easy way to set your sensitivity
I got this one from Rick (ND ) .
Our soil here in MA is very Mineralized . So I do what Rick told me . When I get to the place were I want to hunt I turn on my EX adjust My Sensitivity so that the Cross hairs stop bouncing around , Then I Put a Silver Dime on the ground and swing my Coil across the Dime . I lower my sens. until the Threshold returns the Fastest after my coil pass the Dime ( Like Beep ...Blunk ), What ever number it is at I leave it at that setting . I've been hitting Silver Dime up to 11inchs With setting as low as 19 . If your Threshold doesn't retune fast you well miss your good targets .Numbers Don't mean anything stability Does . Hope this helps

Many thanks to everybody. May be I was incorrect in wording. I meant Stable Threshold and not stable ExpII of course, because high sensitivity will attract many sounds. But in quiet area in all metal in "metalless" ground I still have unstable threshold at Sens more then 25. But I want to have maximum 30 and that is why I crank threshold tone to 0 and have same good depth without keeping attention to smart/digital screens which are crazy now but I follow only good sounds which is not mixed with noise because this noise eliminated by cranking threshold tone to zero. I will try Dennis advice ( it is interesting ) and thank you Cody for concern. I am well after one month vacation during which I had many good finds. Still wondering what I can miss with these settings.

HH

DOK-ATH , I like to hunt in 0 Threshold once in awhile also . But you will miss a good target if it's next to iron ( junk ) and you sweep over the Junk target first and it Nulls out your good target ,which you can't hear because you are hunting in 0 Threshold . That's why you have to adjust your sens.to make your Threshold return fast . What helps allot ( if hunting in 0 Threshold ) is to sweep the coil from right to left , then back over the same exact spot Left to right before you move forward . This way you will get a good hit in one direction telling you that you have a good target . Then switch over to IM to check it out .
Also ...sometimes if you set your Sens. at Max like you want ,you could Lose your target ( not hear it at all ) even if you coil is right over it .
Hope this helps

I do not think so, because I hunt in All metal and hear all sounds taking care about high tones and mixed with low tones. You right in case if discrimination is on but even in this case if we put fast on will be the same situation as usual. I have tested this in my garden and it works great. And because it is working great I afraid that it could be wrong somewhere. What do you think about this. HH

DOK ,You said you have your IM set at -12. At this setting you will still get Nulling even with Fast on. You would have to open it up to -16 to stop all Nulling you are getting from Iron . Or you would have to open up the top left hand corner of -12 to stop the Nulling from Iron .
HH
Dennis 2

Don't worry about the high sensitivity setting, if the threshold is not stable you will lose depth. Run the sensitivity as high as you can, but keep it a stable threshold, so if you can only get to 20 to keep the threshold stable that that is as high as you can go or you will lose you depth and good ID.
We have seen around here where some like to run a high sensitivity and a unstable threshold as they want max depth, but they can not hear the targets we get that run the lower sensitivity and a stable threshold can that are deep.
Give it a try with a stable threshold and get a weak signal, then crank up the sensitivity until the threshold is not stable and see if you still get the same target.