Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Squirrels? Don't talk to me about squirrels!

Jim Vokes NY

Like many grown and not so grown men, I don't know when to leave well enough alone.

At the campgrounds where my wife and I stay in the summer, we have a bird feeder. On occasion, both red & gray squirrels come to visit. When they do, they throw all the seed on the ground and clean out the feeder making me @#$%^&#@! Well, no little pesky squirrel is going to beat ME! Uh Huh!

So after placing grease on the pole, covering the pole with plastic, putting up differently designed baffles guaranteed to keep out squirrels, I said: "No more! I have had it!

So I went out and purchased a live trap to take care of this situation once and for all! Uh Huh!

Well, lets see, first the chipmunks would set it off before the squirrels came. Then the squirrels somehow sprung it without capture. Other times that trap would set for days and nothing would happen?

Finally after a few weeks of frustration, a really dumb squirrel was captured in the trap! YES!

Well let me tell you, I paraded around the campground with my trapped "terrorist" on display. Presenting it ever so proudly as a perfect demonstration of my superior prowess! Uh Huh!

Eventually my buddy Frank and I placed the live trap with that "bested" squirrel on the back seat of my car and proceeded to drive several miles to let it free in a nice oak forest. Yes!

Just after leaving the campgrounds we had to go down a steep hill when suddenly the live trap tipped over and the squirrel got loose and WAS THAT SQUIRREL MAD!

That now GIANT squirrel went round and round the inside of that car, landing on either Frank's or my shoulder as it circled to find a way out.

To say that Frank and I panicked would probably be an understatement. That squirrel went from being "dumb" to as "dangerous as a black bear". I mean "rabies" "whatever" who knows!

Just imagine trying to stop the car and roll down the windows while ducking that squirrel ... now that is not easy! I mean you had to be there to actually see two grown men in total FEAR!

Anyway the squirrel finally went out the window, onto the front hood, across the road and into the woods so quickly that Frank and I were still trying to figure out what happened!

Course after we calmed down, we sat and had a good laugh at ourselves and wished we had a video! or MAYBE NOT!

Upon our return, our neighbors and our wives asked how we got rid of the squirrel so fast? We wanted to "lie through our teeth" but we couldn't keep a straight face. I mean, we didn't hear the end of that story for the rest of that summer.

I learned a hard lesson and I quit fighting those "darling" squirrels and put out peanuts especially for them.

I know that same "dumb" squirrel comes back and smiles at me as he enjoys a treat in safety!

BUT.. We both know who is the "baddest" in "our" campground! Uh Huh!

Tell ya what Jim... I will bring tha jerks over. I can give you a 100%, iron clad, boiler-plate guarantee that your problems would be gone!!!!! :) :)

calm seas

M

n/t

I think I would have been on the hood of the car before that squirrel:rofl:

n/t

actually sit and watch one designated squirrel (I suppose) climb the greased iron pole, get on top of the feeder, and shake it so the other six sqirrels on the ground can eat! :lol: Wonder if they take turns???? :)

Yuh. Those "man eater" squirrels are a real dangerous breed. : ) Thanks for the laugh and the inspiration of memories.

have always eventually lost out.

The hot wire on the feeder post has worked so far and it has been a few days now. I never saw one get on the wire but they must have tried, they were in the feeder constantly. Now they search the ground for seeds the birds scatter, looking for the perfect seed to eat.

I can not imagine how they might defeat this system but they usually figure out something.

I can just imagine that squirrel of yours going nuts in the car! I have trapped 23 from our yard with a live trap and relocated them. When I open the trap they are gone in a dang flash and they don't slow down until they are half way up an oak tree.

I bet it was not funny when it was happening though :D It sure is now

It appears that you two became a little emotional, right? :rofl: Jim, thanks for posting such a funny story, it was a great one! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Seems like they had set up one of those mechanical thingys that throw out clay pigeons and when the squirrel stepped on it... ZOOOOOM! "To the moon, Alice!" Never actually tried it though!