Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Spook Hill" where nothing lives.............

Kelley (Texas)

For some strange reason, this evening while reflecting back to my childhood, I started thinking about "Spook Hill" which was on a ranch owned by a man by the name of Galvan...I can not remember his first name but think it was Lupe, but not sure.

Early one summer we were working part time on a few of the ranches finding missing cows or repairing fences...just the normal everyday work. It never paid much, but we always got to ride the horses that they provided...and that is all I really cared about anyway, riding the horses.

This one particular summer day, Mr. Galvan asked me to look for some missing cows that he had not seen for the past few weeks. He wanted to pull the calves for market and needed them brought down to the holding pens. I was always in hog heaven when I was assigned the task of looking for lost cows...enjoyed the adventures of exploring new areas, sometimes finding some arrowheads or something else just as exciting.

While looking for the lost cows, I found a strange area about twenty acres in size where nothing was living...no trees, no grass, no weeds, no brush, nothing living there. Everything around the area was lust green, but nothing was growing in that strange area. The horse that I was riding bulked at entering the area...he snorted and danced around and almost reached the point of panic. I even sensed that something was not right, that place was death. I retreated a short distance to a hill, dismounted and watched that strange section of land.

I watched a herd of deer approach that area, but they skirted around it and did not cross it. This was really strange, and I must admit that I felt very uneasy...something kept telling me to not mess around that strange haunted area. I mounted my horse and gladly left the area.

I located all the missing cows with calves...lucky for me they were all together in a small herd. It took several hours to herd them down to the holding pens, but time flew because I was thinking about that strange dead area the entire time.

As I was putting the horse in the barn, Mr. Galvan approached me and thanked me as he gave me a few dollars for pay. He was in a good mood and we shot the bull for a few minutes. I then brought up the subject of that strange dead area of land and his mood changed. He said that he did not know what it was and that it had been there as long as he could remember...he grew up on that ranch. I told him about the horse not wanting to enter the area and how I had observed the deer herd not entering the area either. I could tell that he did not want to discuss it and he sorta became silent and appeared to be unhappy that I had seen that strange dead area. I thanked him for the pay and told him to call me any time he needed help in the future...he never called me again to work on his ranch.

About a year later, I ran into him at the hardware store, and while he acknowledged me, he kept his distance. To this day, I feel like I saw something that I should not have seen...goodness knows what the story is about that strange, haunted, dead piece of land tucked away near the back of his ranch. Any hope of ever finding the answers vanished when Mr. Galvan died while I was serving a tour of duty with the Marines. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

place is lost because he didn't care to share it. History should be passed on but maybe what we don't know makes life more interesting,

My first thought was that maybe it was a thermo hotspot or a cave area or natural gas. something like that but it sure is strange/

Thanks for posting it Fred:thumbup:

Strange story for sure.

Dave

That is too interesting a story to leave it>

Many thanks for the story

Calm seas

M

never thought about going to the news media. This was during the period of history where you pretty much minded your own business and did not offer advice unless asked.

Now that I am older and still think about it from time to time, I do not think it is something super natural or something to do with a ghost type thing. There is a strong possibility that it is an area loaded with salt or something similar. Animals sense things that we do not sense, for example a horse will not drink out of a water container if a buzzard has drunk out of it. Once the buzzard drinks out of the water container, you have to dump the water out of it and scrub it clean before the horse will use it again. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

my parents told me it was none of my business and that I had used poor manners in pushing the subject with Mr. Galvan when it was apparent that he did not want to discuss it. I did discuss it with a few friends and we came up with the theory that maybe flying saucers had landed there...normal spook type things that children would think about. I think that there is probably something of a natural cause, maybe the area is loaded with salt or something. South Texas was under the sea millions of years ago and maybe this is an area loaded with salt or something...I will never know for sure. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I have a tendency of posting a story on impulse on occasion...this being one of those times. I was thinking about that "dead" area and figured I would share it with the Forum...just posted it on impulse. I must admit that at the time it was spooky and made me feel very uneasy...strange area. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

i never heard of anything like that. If it was salt one would think that the animals would be digging around. Must be something much more sinister or deadly.
I can understand why you preferred not to snoop around!
Interesting story! Thanks for posting it.

bad you do not know where else you could go to find out about this...but then again, maybe you shouldn't! Maybe the old man thought you saw something more than you actually saw! :huh:

It has to be something in the soil as it is too far remote to be a chemical spill or some other man made creation. Could something like a small meteorite cause this? Could oil or something just below the surface cause it? What puzzles me is how the animals avoid the area. It has all the makings of a chemical spill, but that is impossible due to the location. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

under there the animals might avoid it. Such places sometimes have thin crusts and an animal could fall through. The animal could probaly sense such areas from a hollow sound from their hoofs to a hissing or such. If a thermal area it might be a mite too warm to be growing anything, much like some places in Yellowstorn.

Just guessing

Good story anyway!

thats as interesting as the dead area,you wouldn't think a buzzard would give off anything, but animals are more keen to stuff i guess:biggrin:..if you offered me water out of a container a buzzard drank out of and i knew it it would have to be washed out too

sometimes there are simple explanations but i am no scientist. I have seen seen highly mineralised areas eg "massive sulfides" of iron and copper that can create sulphuric acid in mining areas where very little or nothing grows around a a seeping of water but never the size you have described.:shrug:

This is a hilly area with lime stone...millions of years ago this was all under the sea. There are caves in the area as well as lots of fossils. The soil is alkiline. This dead area is approximately 20 acres in size, dirt and rock. Kelley (Texas) :)