Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Specht's Ice House, established in 1890...............

Kelley (Texas)

This morning I asked Debbie if she wanted to meet me for lunch when I headed back from riding my bike to Kerrville, Texas to visit with an old time friend. I then added, why don't you bring our Son, Daughter-in-Law, and Grandson too! I suggested that we eat lunch at an old Texas ice house that was established in 1890 by William Specht. It is located a short distance north of San Antonio, but is located off the beaten trail on a little used county road. She immediately called Dennis and Heather...they thought it was a great idea and said that they would swing by and pick up Debbie. We had a great time!

William Specht established the business around 1890...it was a general store and saloon. At the time, women were not allowed in a saloon so he built a wall down the center of the building and had two entrances...both entrances are still there, but the wall was removed long ago. In 1905 he bought a cash register and it is still there, you can see it in one of the pictures. The mirror behind the bar is the original mirror that was installed by Mr. Specht. The ice house still uses outhouses for restrooms, a picture of which is posted below. It is still heated by the old wood burning stove which is shown in one of the pictures...the place was quite warm today. On weekends, they have live bands and a large gathering of local customers pack the place...they park in the field across from the ice house. The menu is rather simple...hamburgers, chicken fried steaks, and catfish. The most popular beer served is Shriner Beer, a Texas brewed beer.

Ice houses are popular down here in South Texas and there are some really interesting ones just like Specht's Ice House. Specht's no longer sell gas, groceries or general mercandise, but many of the ice houses down here still do.

[attachment 78803 SpechtsBuilding.jpg]

[attachment 78804 SpechtsBarArea_1.jpg]

[attachment 78806 SpechtsBarArea_2.jpg]

[attachment 78810 SpechtsOuthouse.jpg]

[attachment 78812 SpechtsLiveMusicSign.jpg]

i worked in houston a couple of weeks remodeling a building in the late 80's,1980's:).there was one on alabama street i believe,it was in the funny part of town,it looked like folks stopped off for a beer after work and people were playing dominos during the afternoon.didn't have time to stop in,i think there are more there in the san antonio area than anywhere else.

n/t

I like finding places like that off the beaten path. Found one in Maryland, can't remember the name but it was "****'s"roadhouse. Some pretty good Tex/Mex dining.

Neat pictures. I adapt better to times like that, then what we adapt to now in the so called new world. Back here the woodstove would be barricaded off , same with the out houses, well, gas pumps. Hazmat services would be all over the old gas tanks still in the ground.
To regulated here. Great picture story Fred. Oh yea, don't tell me about riding the bike, your killing me here....Its a comfortable 21 here right now.... Geo

like that around, but way too few! I just love looking around them! I still remember the old wooden screen door, with the colonial bread sign attached to it on some of our local stores growing up. I have looked and looked for one to refurbish, and have my eye on one going down towards the beer camp. It's been closed for years, but the door still looks to be in pretty good shape. It may come up missing some day if I can remember to take my tools along for a ride! :lol:

I'm glad you and your family spent a pleasant day together! :)

n/t

the rest of the posts here? I know i commented on this one, or maybe i read it when the codeine was messing my brain:unsure: