Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Spanish gold coins from South Padre Island....................

Kelley (Texas)

Earlier today I received an e-mail from a good friend that lives in Oklahoma. He wanted to know if someone could use a metal detector on South Padre Island off the Gulf Coast of Texas. I could not totally answer his question, only knew that you can not hunt in the park area of the island.

This inquiry brought back some old memories about South Padre Island and some gold coins found there many years ago.

A good friend of my parents had a son that put himself through college (Texas University) many years ago by going to South Padre Island once a month and bringing back some gold coins on each trip. He always brought back a few coins, three or four each time. It appears that he had a special place where he found them, may have been an area where the coins washed up on the beach or else a treasure trove that he had found. He did this without a metal detector.

I found out about this by accident when Gene was visiting with my parents just after Thanksgiving around 1980 or 1981. Gene and my Father were sitting in the living room when I walked in and noticed my Father holding several odd shaped gold colored coins. My Father handed the coins back to Gene and I watched him put them in his pocket. When I asked about the gold colored coins, my Father and Gene just made a joke about some fake coins that Gene had found. They changed the subject and it was obvious that they were not going to talk about the coins.

A few years later, my Father told me that Gene had paid his way through college by going to South Padre Island once a month and bringing back some gold Spanish coins. That was all that my Father told me, said that was all he knew...said he did not know where on South Padre Island that Gene was finding the coins, but he never once failed to return without some gold coins. This was all that my Father ever told me about the subject.

Several years ago, I saw Gene and after visiting with him for a few minutes, I brought up the subject of the gold coins. He gave me a chilling cold look and told me that subject was not going to be discussed and that I was never to bring the subject up again! He always was a jerk, we never were what you could call close friends. I returned the chilling look to him and said that was fine with me...I then changed the subject and we both relaxed. He is now an attorney up in Austin, Texas.

I have always wondered where he found those gold coins, and how he found them without a metal detector. South Padre Island is long, maybe 90 miles long, really do not know how long it really is. I do know that some folks with the last name of "Singer" as the sewing machine folks lived on the island many years ago, and there are stories that they buried gold coins on the island. Only problem with that is that the coins Gene had were supposed to be Spanish coins...who knows, but they were gold coins.

Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

maybe there's more and he's not talking.does he have kids,maybe he's holding out for them,wonder if he told the whole story to your dad.

he found the ones he used to put himself through college. I do not know if my Father knew more than what he told me. When my Father promised to keep a secret, he did so...was a man good for his word.

My gut feeling is that Gene found a treasure trove because of his always bringing back the three or four coins each month. If he was finding coins on the beach, I question if he would have been consistent in bringing coins back each trip down there. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

...I do not have details at moment but it is documented that there was a bank robbery in Vancouver BC.The robbers were believed to have hidden the loot in Stanley Park.Which is 5 minits away from me.Will have to research this story, so long Orlando.

Sounds like he found a trove and relocated it so only he knew where it was. I don't imaging he would like to have to pay the taxes on the money he gained so keeps it hush hush. Great treasure tale, thanks!

Dave

n/t

and the possible hidden loot...it would be interesting reading. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Is the rest of the island available for detecting Fred? Are you close to the island? Do you have to take a ferry to get there?

Tell you, if I were in the area, I would be there all the time!!! :)

Calm seas, fair winds

M

remove anything of historical value within the park area which is the bulk of the island. It is my understanding that there is some commercial development on the southern end of the island, and as such, they may allow metal detecting there...not sure about this.

South Padre Island is down near Corpus Christi, Texas, and would be approximately a three hour drive from here. I have not been down in that area for many, many years.

My folks use to live in Portland, Texas, which is across the bay from Corpus Christi and we would go down there to visit them...they later moved to San Antonio to be near us because of their health issues. When we would visit them, on occasion, I would do some fishing in the gulf, but after the "Jaws" movie hit the movie screens, I immediately lost interest in fishing at the coast. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 16835 padre.jpg]

The island is ROUGHLY between the two white lines. Maybe Fred can clear that up for us :d

n/t

From what I have read and heard, the only thing a person can find with a metal detector on SPI is a day or three in jail! :(

Thanks for the intrigue. <><

aj

maybe you could use a sand screen? How about dragging a magnet? There should be some iron around the cache. Kind of sounds like you can't do much there tho:confused:
Thanks for the story:super:
Wayne

It would keep Debbie off your hide for awhile. Say, you could teach Sadie how to sniff out gold. Make her earn her keep. :lol:

one more time. Who knows? Maybe he thinks you know something and will spill his guts? :lol:

I went to South Padre one time for vacation and loved it! The sand was white and the water was good and clear! It was great! :)

I suspect he found the gold coins in the park area, and there is also the issue of taxes. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

You can detect from Port Aransas...south 22 miles of beach till you hit the National seashore. There is also a small park along that 22 mile stretch that is off limits...but there is still alot of beach there if you want to give it a try.

Lot of treasure on that island from sunken ships and pirates burying it. Your friend probably found a cache of them or a spot where they washed up often during winter storms. I've got some stories on Padre somewhere. But then I've got stories on everything somewhere. HAAA.

Bill

I realize that Oregon is a long ways from South Padre Island, but have you ever been there? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)