Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign Hip Mount and Meter bag that works great

brobox

I cannot take a 100% credit for this as saw this on another forum and just made a couple of improvements that I thought I would share.

The bag is an AWP model 600D, 2 pocket nylon pouch available at Lowes for $12.97 and the web belt is also at Lowes for $5.97. Both items are found in the tool belt department. There is also a strip of velcro sewn on the belt side of the pouch that would make it easy to attach a fabricated splash guard for the control housing.

The control box and the Digimeter fit perfect in each of the pockets and the meter is EASY to read, much better than mounted on the shaft.

To make the cable holes was pretty simple. I put both the control housing and the meter into the pouches and marked the bottom of the pouches where the cables need to come through (I scratched them with a screwdriver). I then put a piece of 1/2 inch copper pipe into a vise, pointing up, then heated the tip of the pipe with a benzo torch. Then from the inside of the pouch, place it on the hot end of the pipe, pulling down and it will burn a perfectly clean hole that will not fray, just the right size for the cable connections to go through.

Loosely coil the meter cable leaving enough slack to connect to the control box, and secure the coil with a couple of nylon wire ties, then place the coiled cable on the bottom side of the meter. This pushes the meter out a little further making it easy to see at a glance and a nice tight fit for the meter in the pouch.

I tried this setup out today and it worked perfect. I will put my finds pouch on the other side of the belt and I am good to go.

Hope this helps some others.
Chuck in Cape Coral

It seems like not many others were interested. I have used it twice at the beach and it is working great. I did make one more small improvement....that was a clip from the back of a tape measure, bolted to the front side of the pouch for a coil cable holder/strain relief. Another nice improvement that stopped the coil cable from getting wrapped around the hand grip and took all of the strain off of the coil cable. Hey, it's working for me and and if other want to turn their shaft to see the meter that's OK by me. Thank you for your feedback and kind words.

HH,

Chuck in Cape Coral

Like the post, great idea.

If I could do that with my SE I'd do it in a second. Really looks nice. Before the SE I had fabricated all my detectors for hip or chest mount. Made a nice harness for my Fisher CZ7A pro. I know this is not the Fisher forum but if anyone wants a picture of what I did, I'll get one to them. Thanks for sharing. Regards.

A little more than a year later and this post is still being appreciated. Thanks for passing along a GREAT idea. :clapping:

That's a good idea. I've been using the Sunray hipmount bag, which which works great, but I have to leave the Sunray DTI meter on the rod.

HH,
Brian

I went to Lowes this past Sunday (03/01/09) and purchased both the pouch and belt for less than $20.00 with taxes included. This set up looks to be just the thing for those who want to hipmount the Sovereign and the Digimeter together. :)

While I was there I also noticed that they have a pouch with three pockets and I wondered if you couldn't use the third pocket to hold a Sun Ray target probe control box and mount the probe on the side of the pouch? Since I don't own a target probe I wasn't sure of the size of the control box... but it's a thought for those who want to mount all three on their belt in order to make the detector staff as light as possible. :unsure:

NEBeachcomber said:
I went to Lowes this past Sunday (03/01/09) and purchased both the pouch and belt for less than $20.00 with taxes included. This set up looks to be just the thing for those who want to hipmount the Sovereign and the Digimeter together. :)

While I was there I also noticed that they have a pouch with three pockets and I wondered if you couldn't use the third pocket to hold a Sun Ray target probe control box and mount the probe on the side of the pouch? Since I don't own a target probe I wasn't sure of the size of the control box... but it's a thought for those who want to mount all three on their belt in order to make the detector staff as light as possible. :unsure:

I have the Sun Ray Probe. The control box for it should fit it's a little bigger than a package of cigarettes.
I like this pouch set up I guess I need to go to home Depot or Lowes tomorrow.:thumbup:

Hello w6pea,

I would be real interested in seeing your completed product. Lowes also has the same design pouch made of leather (about $30.00) if you really want to do it up right! :thumbup:

If it fits, as we suspect, I think you might start a run on Lowes for that pouch design.
Be sure to bring the Sun Ray probe unit with you when you go to look at it?

Good Luck,
-Rick

I looked a little bit at Lowe's today. I think I will go to Home Depot tomorrow, the Lowe's by my house didn't have what I was looking for. Also I think I would get a pouch like was pictured but with the attachment for a Tape measure on it. The kid a Lowe's said that they carried them but were out of them.