Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign GT and V clips.... again

epi-hunter

Please bear with me and thanks to all who responded to my last posts.

So I put together the GT tonight and go to attach the S-1 probe. The probe is a newer model - only a few months old. It has what appear to be V clips on either side of the control box.

Unfortunately, however, the straight upper shaft on the GT has no such V clips. Not sure what to do next.

I've seen the probe control box mounted directly on the shaft under the handle (which seems inconvenient to me) and (more commonly) on top of the optional meter. I wasn't going to buy the meter initially (believe in the tones) but now I'm rethinking it. So if I order a meter will this solve my problem? I'm guessing not and that I need to get some V clips and attach to the shaft or else to the top of a meter, correct?

Please don't advise me to solder or drill anything... ex-husband used to do all that. Now it's up to me - tool-less and no ability to do much that requires more than a hammer and screwdriver.

So how do I get this S-1 probe attached, and in addition, if I do get a meter am I just adding more of the same problem?

Thanks in advance :)

The S-1 Probe you have is for a Elite or GT as the switching box mounts on top of the shaft, then the V clip on top of the control box is for the meter to be mounted on top of the switching box. If you don't have a V clip mounted on top of the shaft you will have to get one and mount it. The holes for it should be there so it just has to be riveted to it the shaft. Maybe the holes are not there on the later models as mine is about a year old, but if there is none then 2 small holes have to be drilled and a V clip riveted on it.
To me the S-1 probe and a 180 meter are very important on the Sovereigns.

Rick

You should have two holes on the top of the shaft below the grip down the shaft a bit, as Minelab started shipping straight shafts without the V-clip a while back. The V-clip you can get from many sources including probably Plugger or one of his Findmall sponsors that carry his shafts. The probe box slides/snaps onto that (push hard until you hear a clip), and then the meter slides/snaps onto the top of the probe box (again, slide the meter on and push hard until you hear a click).

Using a rivet gun is easy. Just load the rivet into the gun, stick the end of the rivet into the v-clip/shaft hole at the same time (make sure the v-clip is facing the right direction!), and then squeeze the gun until it pops. You can pick up a rivet gun dirt cheap for a couple bucks at any harbor tool & freight store. If you don't think you can do the riveting walk into any auto parts store like auto zone and kindly ask them to help you. They'll do it for free as it only takes a second. They love to help people out, in particular the fairer sex. :biggrin:

Alternatively, you could use two low profile head screws to screw the V-clip mount onto the shaft. I used two flat headed (not flat head, but meaning sheet metal screws with low profile heads) to screw my V-clip onto the pipe hanger I used to mount my meter on top of my grip. If the screws are low profile enough then the meter (or in this case your probe) can still slide onto the v-clip and snap into place. I *might* have drilled a recess in each screw hole on the v-clip to insure the screw heads would clear the meter but I don't think I did.

Thanks so much for the info!

I'm in the process of looking for a V clip to order.

[Rant] I originally thought it was crazy to stop making a part needed to mount an available Minelab accessory, but now that I have unfortunately also convinced myself that I need a Minelab digital meter and found out they stopped making these TOO, I get it. Seems these meters are also extremely hard to find and go for a premium.... used. Just kill me now.... uggh. [/Rant]

Hey Epi-hunter. take a look at Ron's meter. I have one and it works very well and can be mounted anywhere on the shaft, without any special tools. I like it even better than the digisearch meter. And the price is right.
Gary

I have one of Ron's Meters on my Sovereign Gt. I do not go dirt fishing without it except when playing in the water. It works and the price is very reasonable. My hearing is poor at best and without the meter I would be severely handicapped when it comes to being able to have an Idea of what is under the coil.

Yep, Ron's meter is a great meter. Less wire mess on the shaft and lighter by 2.2 ounces than the Digisearch, and also does not require a V-clip and so can be mounted anywhere on the shaft or even on the grip by bending the piper hanger mount it comes with. What's really nice about Ron's meter is instead of a thick long coil cable like the Minelab meters, his uses a thin wire to route from the coil connector to the meter, which drops some weight and mess. An extension can also be used from Radio Shack for a buck or two so you can hip mount the control box and still keep his meter on the shaft. Really nice setup. It's dirt cheap too compared to what the discontinued Minelab meter went for.

But yea, for your Sun Ray probe you still need a V-clip. Contact a few of Findmall's sponsors such as Indian Nation detectors as I know several should have them. Sun Ray might still have them as well. Any Findmall sponsor who deals with Plugger shafts probably has them too as Plugger puts those v-clips on custom Sovereign shafts on top of the grip or anywhere you want them mounted. I wouldn't doubt he makes those clips himself, or at least now that Minelab is stopping making them there will be somebody making them as all you need to do is make a simple mode. Hmmmm.....

By the way, I know you are frustrated but trust me it's worth the effort to get your Sovereign in order. You'll love this machine, but be prepared to hate it for a while. You must fight through that phase. Ain't nothing like it on the market in raw power and detailed long audio to judge target traits. And the conductivity resolution of the 180 meter is super high from small foil all the way up to copper pennies. That alone has some deadly implications for certain types of hunting...

Check with Chuck at Indian Nations (a forum sponser and nice guy) I have bought the V-clip from him in the past.