Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign Built Like A Tank:detecting:

D Wes

My Sovereign is 14 years old and it performs like the day it came out of the box. It will run with the Big Dogs any day of the week and has the Keepers to back it up!
Yes like many of you, I am attached to this Detector, I watched my Sovereign get Launched out of my front door 7 foot up in the air to crash land on my concrete porch.
Control box came off and the battery flew out, the V clip was busted and I truly believed it was a goner. My Heart sunk down to my knees and I just stood there in shock.
The next day I put the battery back in and turned my Sovereign on, not believing any thing would happen, but to my surprise! it sang out loud and clear.
Called Minelab and ordered a new V clip, they wouldn't take my money and shipped me two V clips, Thank you Minelab for the Awesome customer service and building
a great Detector like a Tank.
Its time to get my self a GT and keep the Sov as a back up with my SEF coil on it. Cheers Minelab.

D Wes.

Well you could say the wife was just a tad bit angry. I broke my promise to her and paid the price, I got my new SEF coil but she did get her new flower garden and pots
the next day. All is well and I will be very careful not to break any more promises with a new Detector coming soon.

Great to hear this, i fully agree. i just bought another sov xs to waterproof. i wonder if the newer sovs are built so well. i am trying to save for a new GT [modded] from Dixie detectors, until then ,i love my original sov and xs.sam in ms

A little story about detectors built like a tank. I had a friend the had a gt and put it in a plastic bag and put it in the back of his truck. Well he was going down the road at about 70 and the gt went out the truck and the car behind him ran over it. Well let me tell you it is not made like a tank. It was no more detector.

The Sovereign is built very well.I remember a post a while ago about someone that dropped their Elite on a side walk,which fractured the control box and left it inop.I don't think they will ever make a detector that will survive a drop from a automobile at 70 mph then ran over and keep on ticking.

D Wes,sometimes I'll buy an old Sovereign at a good price.Your Sovereign would be one used detector to avoid.

Yes your right Ron, My old Sov will never be sold, I will hold on to it and I couldn't sell it after the Hard knocks she took if I had intentions of ever selling it.
That wouldn't be right. I have taken it out twice now and I'm still amazed at the solid performance it gives me.
I did find a Very Nice 1848 large cent and some silver along with a couple of Buffalo Nickles at a old farm house. My friend has his own saw mill and he came out
with his Radio Shack Detector he uses to check the logs for nails. I spent some time with him to set it up properly and a quick lesson so he could join me.
He didn't do to bad with a few wheat's, clad and some unknown items. We had a lot of fun, I moved on to the fields and Timber where some old history was on his property
that dated back to the late 1800's that a still used to be and a old steam saw mill was, it was a great day the old creak and water hole they used for water for the old saw mill looked UN touched.
I didn't spend a lot of time there because my friend was getting the poles ready to go fishing on his lake and I was ready for that. I did find some relics that told me it was going to be a
great place to go back to. The SEF coil worked great and gave solid hard hitting signals and was very smooth and stable. I used the Coin Search coil around the house and old buildings.
I have owned a lot of detectors and liked them all to be honest, but in the end I swing the Sov with out a meter. The fisher CZ 6 was a favorite of mine, the T2 and Whites Eagle Spectrum.
Oh and the Tesoro's have always been a joy to hunt with. I really get tired of hearing all the arguing over whose is the Best, along with all the put downs on some really great Detectors.
When all in all its mostly the operator at fault and not willing to put the time in to learn what the Detector is saying. There is no perfect Detector, they all have there ups and downs.
I proved this point many a time using a so called cheap detector. If you take the time to learn the Detector and accept its faults and know them, you can go out and have Fun and find nice Keepers. To me this is my Hobby and it gives me a peace of mind from the Rat Race of this world. I want to have fun and enjoy the company of my friends, it doesn't matter what brand of Detector
they have if there enjoying the Hobby and having fun, the keepers will come.

good point D Wes, it's the same in any community, musicians argue about which instrument is the best, swordsmen about which steel\sword\style is the best, martial artists in general about which martial art is the best. the truth is it's all about the person. there's no superior martial art, there's only a superior martial artist. the same with anything out there. a good cook can make a great meal with a few ingredients, a bad one will produce c

Well said! It's like going fishing: it's the going, not the catching that's important! Sounds like a great place to hunt, nice and peaceful. Bill

i hear what you say,,but can anyone tell wots under the coil of a g,t, when it says in big words,,,,SCHWING,,,,i love the machine ..but i am wondering if i am less than the machine ? the schwing is a highly conductive target,,,which is large iron,,aluminium cans,,,screw caps,,,and bloody good coins,,,especially silver,,,it loves that,,,sometimes i will use the notch but still feel if theres more info i would like to know,,just in case i trash out some good stuff,,,and not spending all day diggin large iron,,,the thing is i must be looking for utopia,,,is there is such a machine,,,actually ,,,if there is ,it must be a minelab ,,, having said that i have a totally honest and quiet tesoro cibola,,with a 12 x 10 d,d, coil ,,,i have to use a small spade,,, it is also awesome,, and a bit simple,,,,but it works in places that others would not,,,salt wet sand ,,diggin deep holes,,,and its quiet,,,these two machines are my favourites of all time,,,but if the explorer is a more informable experience,,,,and a more enjoyable machine to use,(,and thats what its all about,),,,,then i would like to know your opinion,,rgds ,,,comcat :ukflag:

And that 10" BBS coil is unreal. Anyone know WHY it's so beefy? I prefer using my WOT. An extra 4 ounces for 50% more coverage!

good to see so much positive stuff about the SOVEREIGN as it`s one of the machines i`ve short listed for my next machine a GT version with the lazy s stem, i`m learning on a 250 Garrett (with 15x12 sef detech coil, works brilliantly) but i like the good old knobs/dials and switches on the minelab and keep hearing how great their after sales service is (excal reliability post) as i`ve been informed that it`s basically the same machine, good to see people genuinely praising a machine and not knocking it,cheers,:ukflag:

D Wes" My Sovereign is 14 years old and it performs like the day it came out of the box. It will run with the Big Dogs any day of the week and has the Keepers to back it up! Yes like many of you said:
Thank you Minelab for the Awesome customer service and building
a great Detector like a Tank.
[/b] Its time to get my self a GT and keep the Sov as a back up with my SEF coil on it. Cheers Minelab.

D Wes.

Hi D Wes, I agree the old Sovereigns are great, I have the original with the iron mask toggle switch, been using my Explorer lately but I think I'll take the Sovereign out tomorrow for a workout, I've got mine mounted on a straight shaft and I like using the 8" coinsearch coil.

You have a very nice Sov, Great set up, and the way you have the meter set up on that strait shaft makes me want to get a meter for mine.
Nice Job lovepulltabs.

D WES

Thanks, that's the old SunRay DTI II meter, they're great, got it from Rick ND, great guy, also bought some SunRay toggle boots for all the switches from him so no dirt gets in there. Hard to find meter but a great addition to the Sovereign. BTW do you have the original Sovereign or the XS?

I have the original SOV and that meter is indeed hard to come across, I have heard there the best meter for the SOV's