Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign and "nulling"

GazinUK

Many years ago, it was reported during discussion on another forum? about the Explorer being able to register a non-discriminated target during a null. Only mentioned this as during some testing with the Sovereign I've bought, the recovery time seemed to take forever. Ok I was using a Tornado coil and the particular patch I was working is really bad as regards iron, some nulls would last a swing and a half or more. It was on the way home that I remembered the comment about the Explorer. Any thoughts?

If you find a patch of iron, and your Sov goes silent, you have options.

First is go slow. Really slow. Maybe a little slower. If you get a tone that cuts off suddenly, you might have found something. Try again from a different angle, and if it repeats, it might be a good target.

As always, your eyes are the best discriminator, so you have dig to see what it is.

You kind of missed my point, I was asking if theres any chance of a positive signal breaking through a null.

You kind of missed my point, I was asking if theres any chance of a positive signal breaking through a null.
Yes. When I ran the Sov GT I have had experiences of being in the field and having this happen. One particular situation (when I first started hunting with the machine) I was in a null and a high tone peeped through. The target ended up being a merc dime. Carefully check the non-ferrous tones that break through in a null. I was pleasantly surprised at the old coins I found.

Another tip: if you receive a non-ferrous tone and turn 90 degrees and nulls out, dig it!! I read where some hunter left those signals behind thinking they were iron. Bad mistake on their part…

Good luck to you! The sov is a great machine!

Yes. When I ran the Sov GT I have had experiences of being in the field and having this happen. One particular situation (when I first started hunting with the machine) I was in a null and a high tone peeped through. The target ended up being a merc dime. Carefully check the non-ferrous tones that break through in a null. I was pleasantly surprised at the old coins I found.

Another tip: if you receive a non-ferrous tone and turn 90 degrees and nulls out, dig it!! I read where some hunter left those signals behind thinking they were iron. Bad mistake on their part…

Good luck to you! The sov is a great machine!
Thanks for that.

Thanks for that.
You are welcome. Another tip: when you do have an iffy non- ferrous signal perform the “sovereign wiggle” (very short tiny scans) right over the target. This will do one of two things: 1) if it is truly non-ferrous, the audio will “ramp up” into a high tone or struggle trying. In either case, dig!
2) if you wiggle over the top of the target and it “bleeds out” (target doesn’t ramp up and just kind of fizzles out) it’s going to be iron.
Note: yes, the sovereign series has a very slow recovery speed thus, it can’t be used like an F75 lol

Lot of good info here as it seems these people understand their Sovereign well. The Sovereign is a slow working detector unlike most of them and it areas it nulls a lot you do have to go slow and listen to those tone and work those small tones. If going too fast you will go right over and good target if you come off a deep null. There is a couple of times I have prove this at a old park around a merry go round thats been hit hard over the years, took me a good hour going slow and listen to those small tone and work them for any break in the threshold that gave me a signal and work that signal. wound up with 4 merc dime a silver rosie a couple V nickels and a barber quarter with one of the nickels a good 12-13 inches deep. This was such a weak and odd signal so I just had to dig it. my hunting buddies said I was crazy as there was no signal when they checked it out. The other case was a old ballfield I was trying out several detectors at which had quite a bit of nulling and decided to run my sovereign over it just to see if it would do better and by going slow I could hear a few quick tones that when working them I was able to hear a good signal just barely and started picking out good coins that were in those nulls, speed up the coil and nothing there. One was really odd as it was in a deep null and going around this signal I could get a good 180 on meter (I use a 180 Meter) and dug out a big rusty bolt and check the hole again and got a nice signal now and there was a Franklin half with a big rusty spot across the face where the bolt was at.
This why I like to hunt with a slight threshold to know if I have iron close to a good target and do the Sovereign wiggle to see if I can good signal out of it, so are so iffy I just have to dig. I have also in some places turn my Sensitivity to auto and lose some depth in the area high in iron. Mosty I run my sensitivity out of auto, about the 9-10 o'clock position.
Listen close to the threshold and go slow in area you know may hold good targets and get those other have walked over.
Good Luck and dont give up as the Sovereign is one of the best out there, but has a different learning curve.

Rick

You can by-pass the slowness of the processor (some) by running a remote PP button. Hunting in all metal, you single out each target with the wiggle-wiggle and during the "WW" you push the button to check it in Discriminate. Targets do have to be at least 5 inches apart to where each can be singled out. What happens each time you release the button, you reset audio. One at a time you can discriminate targets as fast as you can single them out. A smaller coil like the 7.5 (800) would help using this method. I have used this many times with my Excalibur's, all have this modification.