Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

sov gt

ecl

well i went out the other day with my gt and reaped the rewards with this lovely roman coin...

Thats one of the best looking coins for it's age, I have seen posted !!!!!!!
Whats the whole story ?

Wow! :yikes: That is one beautiful coin..........

I can't wait to hear more about it.
HH, Crispy

well the coin is a guy called valentinian 1 who was a roman emporer in 364-375 ad i found it on a hill side in england it was about 7-8 inches deep in soil with heavy chalk it was a really faint signal so it may have been layed on its side it weight 4.3g so it is heavy for its size its known as a miliarense ...
it was minted in trier in germany and beleive it to be pretty rare coin i am still waiting on info on it so i shall keep u all updated ....
regards carl-ecl....

That's amazing. And to think that here in the US we get excited when coins from the early 1800's show up. When I dug my 1855 seated quarter I was in awe of it's age and just how long it sat there waiting for me to find it. You're coin has even more history behind it. Nice find!

That is a superb coin :thumbup:

Nothing I ever find makes me smile as much as a roman coin. I've got a Nummus of Constantine minted same as yours in Trier but in 314 - 317. It's in as good condition as that one.

If other Roman coins you get in that area are not in as good condition I would go back to that field as soon as possible in case there is a pot full of them buried. There looks to be hardly any wear at all on that coin so it wasn't in circulation long, and the soil seems to have done nothing to it. I don't have chalk soil where I am but I always thought it was really alkali and damaging to metal??

If it was me I would be gridding that area sooooo slowly and digging every half decent signal in case there is a pot full.

i have had two coin people look at it and they said it was for real............constantine they said...??

u never know what is waiting on the next swing.

u found a fine ticket for sure...........good luck

Your coin has beautiful detail.Do you know how they minted coins in those days.It looks as if it was done by hand.

The coins were hand struck. First the metal was rolled into a sheet then heated to soften it. I was then punched into discs and the faces hammered by die. Sometimes the fine detail was finished by hand on each coin.

A lot of work for a coin! I've got to say that they are usually in better condition, relatively speaking for their age, than Victorian coins or Georgian coins.Clever lot the Romans. As we detectorists say "They were called the Romans because they were Roamin everywhere". This is because most UK fields will contain a roman coin or broach or some artifact.

carl-ecl, that coin is in fantastic shape for being buried for 1600 plus years. Gotta give you two thumbs up on that one. GH, Don