Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sov GT vs Sov xs-2a

TwT

How much improved is the Sov GT vs Sov xs-2a pro, they about look the same to me but the colors, is it just that the gt has auto tracking feature? I just ordered the GT but was looking at what the differences was between the two?

The XS2a has a switch for single tone or multi tone which to me most never used as the Sovereign are famous for their tones for IDing. The GT has a switch for threshold or silent search so you can select which you want to hunt with, with the XS2a you have to take it apart and switch a jumper wire to get silent search. The GT has also a switch for freq 1 or 2 so when you got into ares where there were some interference or where another Sovereign was you can switch freq to get a stable detector. Now beside the auto track and lock the ground balance to be used in all metal you can also switch the iron mask on or off in disc, when on it can see coins close to iron, but may false a little on iron, the XS2a it was on all the time.
Over all I feel the new GT is a bit more sensitive and you may see it false on iron Little more,but for those that know the Sovereign will also see a better ID and more depth out of the GT, those that don't know it well may not see the difference.
This is my opinion of the difference I see and have used the XS,XS2,the XS2a, the Elite and now the GT and even had 2 of the original Sovereigns and like my GT the best, so being you have a GT coming I feel you have the best of the Sovereigns.
One more thing the GT come with the new straight shaft to make it easier to swing.

Rick

I really dig the sov Xs and feel it may have been the best one, but the battery system sucks to high heaven, I like the elite but wish they had left the threshold on the other side and kept the face plate resecesed a tad more like on the xs, the end knob has a tendency to get to bumped on the elite and gt, the gt is the volume so you never really notice it because it is already maxed out, but on the elite it is the threshold and you notice it right away.The knob on the end never bumps on the xs ,the faceplate is more resecesed and it isnt a factor, but as Mark just noted the battery system kinda stinks things up a bit. I aint never messed with the xs-2a butas I have heard its the same plus or minus one feature.

When I had my XS I did notice that this one had the pug in connectors which were OK, but you had to be careful when pulling it off the battery as sometime it would pull the black plastic off the plug and may break a wire. Now What I did on those I sold new and used was use some heat shrink on the connector and black plastic cover heat so they were tight and had no more problems with pulling it apart.
Now on the XS2 and the XS2a they use drop in pack and did have some problem with the doors coming lose so you would have a bad connection at the battery as the door is what held the battery in place. With the Alkaline pack it was even harder to keep a good connection, so many would ad a little foam inside the cover to hold the battery tight and the battery door which also worked for the rechargeable packs too. After this was done they seem to be fine with no problems and a easy fix.
The Elite with the controls the way they are position is where I had a problem and no easy fix other than put O rings under the knobs, but with the GT they put them in the original position and have no problem knocking them out of tune or any problem with the battery.
One more thing I just notice on the new GT as I just got one in is they now have a alkaline battery pack along with the rechargeable one, before it was just the rechargeable pack as the alkaline was extra, this is a good move for Minelab to put the alkaline pack in. Just remember all the newbies that the alkaline packs will not work for Nicad or Nickle hydride batteries as you need 10 cells while the alkaline packholds only 8.