Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

South Side...Plum Island

Ron J

Here is what the Plum Island Life Saving Station,looked like around the turn of the Century...[attachment 67815 ScannedImage-2.jpg] Believe the building was rebuilt at one time..here is the front now,still rough.[attachment 67817 PlumIsland057.jpg] Here is the rear,notice the tracks for the Lifeboats to slide on are still there,but the doors are boarded up,with windows replacing them..what a shame..[attachment 67818 PlumIsland038.jpg] The sand,and dunes are covering the tracks,maybe 6 ft deep![attachment 67820 PlumIsland043.jpg] The boats would have slid on the tracks,thru the piers,regardless of tide. The tracks would have gone to the low water mark.[attachment 67821 PlumIsland041.jpg] The Surfman at this station,had it easier than the North side. Salisbury need to cart their boat to the surf,high or low tide! Possibly a variance in distance of 100 to 1000 feet,depending on a minus tide or not! Plum Island light is about 1000 yards from this building,,thats next. Rj

Are you taking most of the pictures yourself? Are these areas open to the general public? I am sitting here at this computer, reflecting back to all the pictures and stories that you have posted to date, and I come to the realization that if a tourist came to your area, they could not even begin to see everything within a two or three week vacation. Ron, you are living in a gold mine of sea history! Have you ever given thought of writing a book with photos for this area? Thanks for posting these stories with the pictures...I really enjoy them! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

area's i visted are open to the Public,haven;t been kicked out of anywhere ...Yet anyway! As for a book? Wouldn't know where to begin...I do keep a copy of every story i write. Figure someday,when i'am gone,the grandsons may enjoy them! Some family members have read a few... I hardly ever plan to visit an area,just for a story,or photos. I did know visiting some places would make interesting subjects,but usually end up finding something to photo,i didn't have an inkling was even in the area! Like going to Salisbury Beach area today..i was going to a special Pizza place at the beach,to bring home a dozen slices,after visitng a couple of antique stores. There is something that lures people to watch the surf,hitting the beach,or listening to the "music" of the sea, the gulls squacking,etc.

do you drive a car most of the time? What type of camera are you using? I may copy your concept and start carrying a camera with me when I ride some of the back roads around here. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

n/t

Still a neat setting though. Man, if those buildings could talk. Movin' to the next phase.:thumbup: