Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

South Padre Island Texas

fedder

Can someone please tell me if metal detecting is allowed anywhere legally on South Padre Island Texas? I know the National Sea Shore Area is off limits, but I do not know about any of the other areas such as around the hotels on the island. There was some mention of there being some historical areas on the island, but no areas were outlined in any of the research I have done so far. Also is a beach tag required or is it a free beach? Finally, if is there is a seasonal parking pass you can purchase, could you please tell me how much it is? Thank you so much for any information you provide!!!

Sincerely,

David Fedder

you can get a yearly parking pass,about 10.00 bucks , I hunted there dont know if its allowed. You cant hunt the national sea shore / Do a search for post by Willie and contact him GREAT guy he lives there and can help you out. tell him danny sent you (bossman)

There are two parts to Padre Island, separated by the Port Mansfield Cut. From Corpus Christi south to the Port Mansfield Cut is called North Padre Island. You can metal detect the beaches there but not in the National Seashore area which is mainly the biggest part of the south end of North Padre Island. Now, South Padre Island is the part that is located on the south side of the Port Mansfield Cut and continues south to the Isa Blanca Park. You can hunt this area at the beaches, there is no parking permit required, but parking is limited in the town area (there is no driving on the beach around the town area). There is a section of beach in which you may drive on at the north end of South Padre, but a four wheel drive is strongly recommended. The Isa Blanca Park is not a state park and therefore you can metal detect in this park. There is a small daily entrance fee at this park but it is well worth it. There are a tremendous amount of people who utilize this park.

Remember though, that the sea turtles, there habitat, and the sand dunes are all protected areas.

I am from the Corpus Christi area, and my sister lives in the Valley (South Texas) and regularly hunts South Padre Island. You can contact her from the little club forum she created and runs http://southtxmetaldetectors.com Her name is Dawn (txkickergirl), and she will be more than happy to help you further. If you go to the site you may have to register and wait for her to email you back. She does this to keep the spamers out of the site.

If I can help with anything just let me know. Also, I personally know Willee and he will help you anyway he can.

Kevin

What is the water like at south padre? Is it clear or murky. i like to fan my targets using snorkel and have been thinking of a trip there.

If your talking South Padre Island down at Port Isabel where the hotels are, It depends on the weather, and time of year. I've been their when it was clear as drinking water, but if there's a hurriacane coming it can get pretty muddy. Galveston Is always muddy, There is something about the current at S.P.I. that keeps it clear most of the time. Gene