Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

South African Bus test--From Laura :D

Royal

Subject: FW: Togetherness Tshabalala road-tests the new maxi-taxis.

The transport Minister wants the new, safer, 18 seater and 35 seater maxi-taxis to replace the notoriously dangerous minibus taxis.

Togetherness's report has caused a stir among the manufacturers.

Maxi taxi road test by Togetherness Tshabalala............

My test shows that the 35-seater holds 157 passengers, at a squeeze so to speak. The roof managed to support a good three tons of luggage, chickens and building material. This is a big advantage over the minibuses.

Despite a cargo of this magnitude, during my test run to Pietersburg, the vehicle handled well and experienced very few serious accidents.

At one time the back assembly became incandescent because the handbrake had been left on. This ignited the petrol tank but most of the passengers managed to alight. (Alert readers will spot Togetherness's little pun.)

We managed to repair the bus at the roadside with pieces of corrugated iron and a hammer and resumed our journey. The bus, now reduced to a 26 seater, was in fact now much easier to handle, cornering at speed.

I liked the 18-seater. It can accommodate 77 passengers - nine under the seats and one in the spacious engine compartment (at reduced fare). It put up an impressive performance on the Soweto route but only after the electronic speed governor had been neutralised by striking it with a pipe wrench. This speed control device will not be well accepted.

Crawling down the Soweto Highway at a governed 60km/h would certainly be inviting parking tickets as well as hubcap thieves. Talking of which, the wheels in both versions does not take BMW hubcaps - drivers are not going to like this.

The automatic hydraulic door is a big advantage over the minibus's sliding door. If the passengers' appendages are left sticking out, the sliding doors tend to guillotine them off, causing much smarting of the eyes. I was pleased to note that the maxi-taxi's automatic doors, as they swing shut, tend to relatively painlessly compress the passenger-load as opposed to trimming its edges. Passengers are going to welcome this.

Seat belts on all seats. This cuts by one third the number of passengers who are propelled to the front of the vehicle every time the brakes are applied.

A warning: these busses may be safer than combi taxis but, when one is forced to take to the pavements in rush hour, they are decidedly less safe and badly frighten the pedestrians. However, the power steering does allow one to jink among the traffic lanes without rolling the vehicle, which is a big time saver. It was, I must say, rather nice driving a bus with
sturdy side-panels which do not flex like lungs when one plays music and neither do the windows pop out, even when I play my Nine Inch Nails' CD.

it will let me post, then the next time it won't. Have been trying to post a short story, but it won't let me preview it. If I click on post, it acts like it is taking it, but then comes up with a blank page! Just like I was not registered in, and Gary has helped me several times to fix this. Does anyone else have this problem???/

Just keep trying and you will be able to be just as good as us men folks! :D

SELL IT AND BUY BEER!!!!!:angel::rofl::hot:

All the best

M

Are you, or is your computer deleting the "cookies"? That will make the site not recognise you and you will have to sign in again.
What version of windows are you using? You may want to do a "system restore". It is in your "system tools" menu if you have XP or ME.
Other than that, you may have to dye your hair, and or have a "sex change":rofl:
Wayner

All of you just BITE ME! I think you have secret passwords that keeps girlie's out until you need a fix of some REAL intelligence!!! :rofl: :rofl:

You are just lashing out because Wayne has always outsmarted you! :rofl: You can't do anything to Wayne because he lives on an island thousands of miles from you, no way would you ever find him, so you pick on innocent folks like Royal, Butch, Mike and myself. :rofl: Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

How is the weather down there? Scott and I have been throwing around the idea of coming to South Padre sometime late in the summer. Have the storms stopped, and is there still a beach?