Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sounds Revised.....

christian_99

I have seen so many people knocking down the Tesoro's and am actually scratching my head wondering what those people are doing wrong. Literally if you look at all of the selections we have as diggers on machines, sure you have the TID machines, the IMAGING machines, and etc....but the number one thing you and I want to do is to be able to find things that others left behind. What do I mean? Most of the area's that you and I are digging in have probably been searched by others...so that means you have to "outthink" the other digger who was in there before you. It doesn't matter if is a Park, Camp, Skirmish site, or whatever! You have to use both skill, imagination, and knowledge to out dig someone else. I own the top of the line machines from other MFR's.

The Explorer is a good machine, however for some reason the frequency on the machine really loves iron. Possibly because of the circuitry of the machine or ?? Some people do really well with it, and I am not cutting it down in any way, shape or form. However, had I had the Cibola and Vaquero during the past four years, and not had the Explorer, my finds would have been fantastic! I used the Explorer on one of a kind sites that will never be replaced. I detected with that machine for four years and now...that site has been destroyed by construction. Most of the time, while using the Explorer on this site, I would find a percussion cap, and an occasional underwear button. This went on for YEARS...going out on the weekend from 7 A.M to 7 P.M. digging. There were hut sites everywhere, a truly beautiful camp. So a good day with the Explorer in this camp would be finding one or two things. Last year, I purchased the Cibola as I saw the square nail/dime test. The dealer pulled up a square nail, put the machine in disc- pulled up the coin and was able to hit the coin with the nail crossing over the coin. He did this with the disc both low and high!!! I was sold!!! I purchased the machine and took it to the camp where the Explorer had hunted for the past four years. In the mineralized/ironized camp- within minutes I found four percussion caps and a bullet. It would take me about 2 weeks worth of digging to find the same thing with the Explorer if I was that lucky! Just to verify it wasn't beginners luck I went out to the camp again, and the same thing four or five percussion caps, pieces of lead and a brass grommel for a haversack. All dug in area's of heavy iron. The camp is gone now, however while they were doing the construction, I was finally rewarded for my patience and faith- you can review the find in this forum or another in one of the top ten finds of 2005. This was found with the Vaquero at about 12 to 14 inchs in mineralized soil.

Needless to say, my eyes were open, so I started using both the C and V, in some of the hunted out camps. Now I am digging cuff buttons, PISTOL percussion caps- I don't know if you know how small they are but they are half the size of a regular percussion cap- bullets and in fact recently an 1858 o half dollar at about 7 - 8 inchs on edge (picture posted in this forum). I detected this and the other items in an area the size of a medium sized kitchen. I found a gold masonic emblem in an area the size of a bathroom. Am I running through the woods digging these things up left and right, NO-WAY...I am going slow, very, very slow.

Now keep in mind I have both the Explorer and the Sov XS-2. Both are good machines and again I am not knocking them, but they were in the SAME exact area where I was finding this stuff! Did I miss them or were they nulled out because of the iron? I will never know but I do know one thing...both the C and V are great for relic hunting- and you must go slow....with them. Listen for every little bit of sound fluctuation. Dig the iffy signals and don't disc too high. If you are in mineralized soil and then most objects will be disc'd out even at low disc. A coin will sound bad and in fact anything will sound bad for that matter. Why?, because of the iron content in the soil is causing all objects to read lower then what they are. If you have an "AUTO GROUND BALANCE" on your machine, guess what? How do you really know that the machine is reading the soil correctly? With the Vaquero- I sometimes ground balance 5 or 6 times in the area the size of a living room. This is because the ground content can change so quickly and again, if you aren't ground balanced correctly, you will lose good things. So keep all of these little tips in mind....and yes...the sounds...if there is a hint of a sweet whisper coming from out of the iron, dig it! Don't think gosh the machine is acting odd, or its probably another nail. Dig it and be amazed. Keep the disc low and see your finds increase...with both quality and quantity.

Hi christian, yep I love those Tesoro's and I have found more with a Tesoro instrument than anything else and yet it seems like I can't hardly give them away. I think a lot of detectorists are missing out. People say Tesoro is getting behind in the metal detecting business but I still make lots of finds with them. So thanks for the write-up and I wish you much success christian. God Bless ya !

John Tomlinson, CET:usaflag::tesoro::detecting::csflag:

No problem at all. Truly I have a closet full of machines and out of those machines, its like the C and V really do a wonderful job, plus you don't get tired if you have to hike between 10 to 15 miles to get to a site, all up and down hills (steep too!). So they really do a great job the biggest thing is not discriminating too high- and trusting your senses with these machines. Unfortunately, I trusted the AUTO this and the AUTO that with the top of the line machines and missed so much! With manually ground balancing, you have control to see how the soil actually is and listening to those sounds...and the changes. So you all know me, trust in those sounds but verify by digging....:)

JUST CURIOUS WHAT ALL BRANDS AND MODELS DO YOU HAVE I HAD THE CIBOLA,VAQUERO TESORO STRINGRAY2 I LIKE THE CIBOLA, STRINGRAY 2 HAVE ANY OF THE OLD STYLES.

Yes...I have the bandido and it may not be deeper than the C and V, its discrimination actually appears better. I was surprised as I got lost in technology of new and improved machines...and put it off to the side. If I knew now, of how good the disc is- I would have used it more often in really difficult sites...

The original Bandido- however depth is a few inchs possibly two to that of either the Ciboloa or Vaquero- but, on a positive note- the better things I have found in iron haven't really been that deep unless someone has disturbed the ground...