Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sometimes Park-1 Won't Work..!

fastdraw

This situation has happened to me several times and I'm not too sure why,
so here is the scenario.

I usually start my detecting in PARK-2 with factory defaults.. with the noise cancellation and a good manual ground balance. Then I check it with my test coin. Ok... all is good..!

So after maybe 3 to 5 minutes of detecting, I realize the area is probably too heavily iron infested.

So I change to PARK-1 and go through the same process of noise cancellation and ground balancing as I stated above.

Then I throw down my test coin,.. and I cannot get it to give me a good response. to my test coin. So I repeat the process and it will still not give me a reliable or good response to my test coin. So... I am forced to revert back to Park-2. and jacking up my iron bias levels and turning down sensitivity.

Has this happened to anybody else..??

Yes it has. That is why I use field 2 most of the time. I can't explain what is happening though.
Yep that's all I hunt in my favorite!
Mark

I can't remember if you have an Equinox 600 or 800. If you are using the 800 and have so much iron in the area you are hunting that you are having trouble with default Park 2, default Park 1 is not going to help much for two reasons. The default recovery speeds for these two modes are different. So in default Park 1 it is 5 and in default Park 2 it is slightly faster at 6. Default Field 2 is set even faster at 7. The second reason is that Park 1 is operating at a lower overall frequency than Park 2 and Field 2. Default Park 2 and Field 2, because they are preset with faster recovery speed AND a higher overall averaged operating frequency will hit smaller targets, targets on edge, partially masked targets and especially for your situation targets that are in the midst of iron or aluminum trash (if you are looking for silver particularly). Turning down the sensitivity a bit, swinging a little slower and lower and keeping the F2 not the FE iron bias setting conservative (4 or less) may help you deal with the iron infested areas better. Instead of turning the iron bias way up, I just lower the volume for the iron range targets and hunt with maybe -4 to +40 accepted. I hunt like you, in moderate to highly mineralized dirt so just pressing the horseshoe button and having everything accepted produces a ton of ground noise and hot rock responses in the -9,-8 and -7 part of the iron range.

Me and my Navy son (home on leave) were hunting an area with lots of hot rocks, ground noise and nails. He was using default Park 1 (to keep it simpler for him as a newbie to the Nox) and I was using Park 2. He walked right over a target that sounded like a no brainer to me. I had him check it again and although we both had our Equinoxes set up similarly as far as recovery speed, iron bias and accept/reject settings, in Park 1 that target sounded like falsing iron. To me it sounded like falsing iron AND a non-ferrous nearby target. Turned out to be a rusted 3" nail and a 1912D Barber dime both at 5" depth and 3" apart.

I can't remember if you have an Equinox 600 or 800. If you are using the 800 and have so much iron in the area you are hunting that you are having trouble with default Park 2, default Park 1 is not going to help much for two reasons. The default recovery speeds for these two modes are different. So in default Park 1 it is 5 and in default Park 2 it is slightly faster at 6. Default Field 2 is set even faster at 7. The second reason is that Park 1 is operating at a lower overall frequency than Park 2 and Field 2. Default Park 2 and Field 2, because they are preset with faster recovery speed AND a higher overall averaged operating frequency will hit smaller targets, targets on edge, partially masked targets and especially for your situation targets that are in the midst of iron or aluminum trash (if you are looking for silver particularly). Turning down the sensitivity a bit, swinging a little slower and lower and keeping the F2 not the FE iron bias setting conservative (4 or less) may help you deal with the iron infested areas better. Instead of turning the iron bias way up, I just lower the volume for the iron range targets and hunt with maybe -4 to +40 accepted. I hunt like you, in moderate to highly mineralized dirt so just pressing the horseshoe button and having everything accepted produces a ton of ground noise and hot rock responses in the -9,-8 and -7 part of the iron range.

Me and my Navy son (home on leave) were hunting an area with lots of hot rocks, ground noise and nails. He was using default Park 1 (to keep it simpler for him as a newbie to the Nox) and I was using Park 2. He walked right over a target that sounded like a no brainer to me. I had him check it again and although we both had our Equinoxes set up similarly as far as recovery speed, iron bias and accept/reject settings, in Park 1 that target sounded like falsing iron. To me it sounded like falsing iron AND a non-ferrous nearby target. Turned out to be a rusted 3" nail and a 1912D Barber dime both at 5" depth and 3" apart.
Great answer thanks..!!