Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Something to think about...

cubfan64

I frequent a number of treasure hunting forums, and when I logged onto one of them last night I found that one of the very regular posters had been robbed. Someone broke into his home and stole his laptop computer as well as his entire safe full of finds.

I can't help but wonder how many scumbags are out there reading these posts and looking at the pictures adding up the finds until they can track down the RL person behind the pictures, stalk them and break into their homes to steal our things.

I'm probably not going to be posting many more of my finds for that reason - especially not the very best. It's a shame because these forums are supposed to be where folks with similar interested can share our finds and hobby.

In the past year I've become increasingly wary of people who just lurk here to find out where people are hunting and finding things and then trying to beat us to the punch. I've come to believe that there are far more of them out there than I originally thought.

I'm sincerely hoping the person who had their things stolen gets them back and I hope it turns out the thief DID NOT get their information from a forum like this but that perhaps it was just a random event, but I can't help thinking otherwise.

Looks like I'll be getting a safety deposit box today.

Until other information comes out in support of your conclusion, I prefer not to panic worry too much. It would be quite the undertaking for a party unknown to the victim to see his posts here or in another forum, then determine where that person hunts regularly. Then that subject would have to watch the location(s) that the intended victim hunts. He would then have to follow the victim, possibly numerous times to determine where the target of his intended crime lives. Then the subject would have to watch to see when the opportunity presented itself for the commission of the crime. Most burglaries are crimes of opportunity. However, due to the specific nature of the items taken, the safe and computer only, it appear as if the thief had those particular objects in mind. That certainly makes one think this was a targeted act. Which opens up the possibility that this crime may have been committed by someone the victim was aquainted with. Someone who may have had personal knowledge of the specific item(s) that where in the safe. Maybe the victim has a hunting buddy, who has teenage children. This buddies child has a drug problem unknown to our victim or the buddy. This buddy, who is fully aware of the victims quality finds, has on numerous occasions mentioned in conversation to his family the extraodinary finds the victim has in his possession. The realm of possibilities is endless. Lets not get caught up in panic either. What are some of the common items taken in burglaries? I think many would answer safes and laptop computers. Was the victims safe bolted down, or was it easily removed. We also know from the poster that the Chief of Police reports that there have been other burglaries in the area. What where the nature of the items taken during those burglaries? Does this crime fit with the pattern of the other crimes. There are many facts we do not know. Without complete facts, it is dangerous to make assumptions in any direction, but to panic oneself over such an incident is to live in fear. Maybe the next teenager that walks up to you while your detecting is contemplating doing a burglary at your house, and he is going to make every effort to figure out where you live.... To assume that the victim was targeted because he posted to a MDing forum is not beyond the realm of possibility, but I also don't believe that it is the case. I was sorry to hear of the victims loss. A burglary is a very personal violation that goes well beyond the items taken. My thoughts go out to our friend in metal detecting. If not posting your finds to the forums is how one feels it is best to begin to protect oneself, I am not here to refute that. We all must choose how we will protect ourselves, our families and our possessions. We all should take precautions to safeguard that which we hold dear, and make it difficult for a thief to make us a victim. That is our best protection.....
Regards,
Keith

however I think you're mistaking my comments as panic when in actuality it's just a recognition that perhaps giving out too much information on forums like this isn't such a good idea.

We've all seen posts here of items found worth $$ thousands of dollars and we've also posted pictures of ourselves, where we typically hunt, what we drive, etc...

You're correct that I have no idea what was behind this theft, but at least for myself it's a reminder that we all might want to be a bit more careful.

Perhaps panic was a poor word choice :). I will edit it. I do agree we post quite a bit of info, but I dont think that means we can't share our finds. It certainly is prudent to control how much personal info we do provide. Since you did mention it, the subject should be addressed. Pictures of our Vehicles. I have seen many posts where peoples license plates are clearly visible. That is a problem. In most states, you can go to the local DMV and for a small fee, file a freedom of information request for the public record. That public record is your registration information. I dont need to tell anyone what that contains.... Keep your license tags out of the photos!

but you're right on with the vehicles and license plates.

I guess if nothing else, reading about the theft was a reminder to be cautious.

We have no proof that the thief used this forum or any other to stalk the victim and steal his finds.
The idea of thieves lurking on treasure hunting forums and systematically stalking treasure hunters by following posts in order to gain enough information to track down the location of our loot is improbable at best and laughable at worst. Try to understand the mentality of a thief -TOO LAZY TOO WORK-. The same mentality that precludes a thief from going to all the effort it would take to stalk treasure hunters by lurking on the forums. You're talking a lot of research here!
I've known people who make a living by stealing and they are reprehensible individuals to a one. They also fall into one of two categories:
1) opportunistic thieves that grab stuff when the opportunity presents itself

and

2) those who steal by intent, these plan their thefts carefully and tend to make large hauls in order to justify the work of thieving
Thief number two is a professional and isn't going to bother going to all the effort of tracking down a victim and casing the property in order to steal a treasure hunter's loot that would only amount to $10k +/- at street value.
Personally, I would look closer to home to find the culprit. Someone who the victim knows and who would have the knowledge of where the loot could be found.
I don't lock my doors against thieves because if they come into my house uninvited they get to deal with the 100 lbs. of muscle, bone and teeth from my dog. When I get home, they get to deal with me.
I can't stand thieves and never could but let's not be paranoid about them to the point that they limit our freedom to enjoy our hobby.

My apologies for the rant,

BDA:cool:

and you have a point that I worded it in such a way that it comes off as being a little paranoid.

I honestly didn't mean it to sound that way - I just know that until I read about the robbery, it never even entered my mind that someone might go to the trouble of robbing someone who's things they have seen online.

I wasn't at all assuming that's what happened in this case, however it did make me start wondering. Is it probable - not really, but is it possible - sure.

And as I noted in one of the other posts here, showing pictures of hunting locations, a vehicle with license plate, etc... is something everyone should probably be a little more careful about.

You're right though bda - my original post was not well worded.

I'v had mine for the past 12 years.
My stuff get taken it will be from a bank robbery.
If you own a bussness its tax deductable too :crylol:
If beach and water is as good to me as civil war detecting i'm going to need another 1 :thumbup:
All joking aside bank boxes is the only way to go.you will sleep better at night:clsoedeyes:

fieldboy se va

I think the possibility that someone is tracked down and robbed, due to their posts on an internet message forum showing metal detecting finds is slim to none.