Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Something new 3

Royal

Wayne-

It was well past moonrise when the trio, two women and a man, at last struggled through the low brush and over the final rock ledge. With just enough light from the new moon they could see the mine opening, a blacker than black hole in the rock wall. Jill let out a little gasp then fell silent, only to then utter a stifled squeak as a lantern in the mine came suddenly to life and the clear sounds of pursuit came from below them, Jeff's hand clamped on her shoulder with urgency and............

Dan-

turned her toward a side shaft that led deep into the bowels of the mine and away from the pursuers behind them and the lighter of the lamp who was somewhere in the main shaft in front of them.As the trio rounded a bend in the side shaft they were met with pitch black darkness-so dark that it seemed to thicken the very air.Jeff produced a small flashlight that weakly illuminated the way ahead-the long unused shaft slanted downward and was littered with broken tools,long left manmade trash,and the remnants of small cave ins that had happened decades earlier.Jeff knew at this point they had no choice but to continue down the shaft-to turn around and face their pursuers would mean certain death.Going forward might mean the same,or it might give them a chance at the freedom they craved-freedom to live in luxury with new found riches in the form of century old gold coins-hundreds of thousands of dollars worth-that each carried evenly distributed among them - and for which the pursuers would not hesitate to kill them for. Grabbing a long discarded but still solid pick handle they headed deeper into the shaft.....

Royal

They ran as fast as they dared but could hear the pursuers behind them. Jeff looked back and could see the beam of a flashlight bobbing against the far wall. He could hear his heart a thumping and was gasping for air. He looked at The girls and had to make a decision. One of them had to stay behind and try to delay the pursuit.

Sunny he says. You are the oldest and seem to be slowing us down. What do you think of taking this here pick handle and hiding in behind that column and covering for Jill and I. We promise to come back for you.

Well Sunny might be a bit long in the tooth but she ain't now dummy. She and Jill took off and left Jeff a standing there like a man in his right mind. In Sunny's mind he weren't.

They suddenly came to a solid wall. They felt along to the right and there was no opening and also checked to the left. Nothing but solid wall. Jill whispered, "They are still coming! Jeff! Why in the world did you do that to the Sheriff's dog! You know he loved that dang dog and you went and did that to it!

Jeff said, "I am sorry girls but the dang fool dog was gonna attack old Granny Tompson and ....

Wayne-

It was well past moonrise when the trio, two women and a man, at last struggled through the low brush and over the final rock ledge. With just enough light from the new moon they could see the mine opening, a blacker than black hole in the rock wall. Jill let out a little gasp then fell silent, only to then utter a stifled squeak as a lantern in the mine came suddenly to life and the clear sounds of pursuit came from below them, Jeff's hand clamped on her shoulder with urgency and............

Dan-

turned her toward a side shaft that led deep into the bowels of the mine and away from the pursuers behind them and the lighter of the lamp who was somewhere in the main shaft in front of them.As the trio rounded a bend in the side shaft they were met with pitch black darkness-so dark that it seemed to thicken the very air.Jeff produced a small flashlight that weakly illuminated the way ahead-the long unused shaft slanted downward and was littered with broken tools,long left manmade trash,and the remnants of small cave ins that had happened decades earlier.Jeff knew at this point they had no choice but to continue down the shaft-to turn around and face their pursuers would mean certain death.Going forward might mean the same,or it might give them a chance at the freedom they craved-freedom to live in luxury with new found riches in the form of century old gold coins-hundreds of thousands of dollars worth-that each carried evenly distributed among them - and for which the pursuers would not hesitate to kill them for. Grabbing a long discarded but still solid pick handle they headed deeper into the shaft.....

Royal

They ran as fast as they dared but could hear the pursuers behind them. Jeff looked back and could see the beam of a flashlight bobbing against the far wall. He could hear his heart a thumping and was gasping for air. He looked at The girls and had to make a decision. One of them had to stay behind and try to delay the pursuit.

Sunny he says. You are the oldest and seem to be slowing us down. What do you think of taking this here pick handle and hiding in behind that column and covering for Jill and I. We promise to come back for you.

Well Sunny might be a bit long in the tooth but she ain't now dummy. She and Jill took off and left Jeff a standing there like a man in his right mind. In Sunny's mind he weren't.

They suddenly came to a solid wall. They felt along to the right and there was no opening and also checked to the left. Nothing but solid wall. Jill whispered, "They are still coming! Jeff! Why in the world did you do that to the Sheriff's dog! You know he loved that dang dog and you went and did that to it!

Jeff said, "I am sorry girls but the dang fool dog was gonna attack old Granny Tompson and ....
Ron

Jill was panicking at the sight of that poor dog, Jeff was getting upset at Jill,shaking her frantically,trying to make her smarten-up. Sunny in the meantime was using her brains! She frantically was poking the walls,looking for the tiniest openings, On her hands and Knees now,she felt a slight breeze! Feeling the earth with with her hand,towards the breeze, she found a crawlspace,just about large enough for her and Jill to crawl through.

The flashing beam was getting closer,and they could hear more than one voice,one was the Sheriff. Sunny had a feeling that Sheriff was involved in this mess somehow! Sunny grabbed Jeff,and ordered him to start using that pickax or he ain't gonna fit through the crawl space, to hopefully,safety,with that gut of his,so get picking!

Jeff started whacking at that crawlspace, and the three of them,just made it into a large open space,with a body of water in it. Jill and Sunny let out a little gulp.wen they tripped over a skeleton,with its left hand pointing to another opening, holding gold coins in the right! The three of them,quickly started piling rocks at the crawlspace to stop any one from entering........ Sunny started feeling around for a rock,but felt something ...it was a candle!

Wayne-

Dan-

Royal

Ron

Jill was panicking at the sight of that poor dog, Jeff was getting upset at Jill,shaking her frantically,trying to make her smarten-up. Sunny in the meantime was using her brains! She frantically was poking the walls,looking for the tiniest openings, On her hands and Knees now,she felt a slight breeze! Feeling the earth with with her hand,towards the breeze, she found a crawlspace,just about large enough for her and Jill to crawl through.

The flashing beam was getting closer,and they could hear more than one voice,one was the Sheriff. Sunny had a feeling that Sheriff was involved in this mess somehow! Sunny grabbed Jeff,and ordered him to start using that pickax or he ain't gonna fit through the crawl space, to hopefully,safety,with that gut of his,so get picking!

Jeff started whacking at that crawlspace, and the three of them,just made it into a large open space,with a body of water in it. Jill and Sunny let out a little gulp.wen they tripped over a skeleton,with its left hand pointing to another opening, holding gold coins in the right! The three of them,quickly started piling rocks at the crawlspace to stop any one from entering........ Sunny started feeling around for a rock,but felt something ...it was a candle!

Dave
Grasping the candle firmly in her hand, Sunny crept slowly forward till her foot nudged up against the wall. "Jeff, Jill, do either of you have a match?" Jeff searched frantically through the pockets of his damp jacket, Deep in a corner recess of his pocket, he felt a damp mass. "I got something but it's awful wet!" In the last beams of light from his failing flashlight, he realized that the wad of stuff in his hand was the crumpled papers served to him by the sheriff just hours before. Jill squeaked out that she didn't have any matches but she had a small lighter. "Quick, give it to me!" Sunny demanded. The three then heard the voices coming from behind the crawl space. Accompanying the excited voices was the ringing of steel tools on the rocks they had just come through............

'Clang . . clang . . klik . . clang . . clang . . klik . . ' the muffled sounds of human greed echoed behind the rock walls. It seemed that those who wanted fortune to smile on them without any sweat on their part, were quite willing to collect a few blisters along the way.
"Quick, light the candle Sunny," Jill whispered in terror, as she watched for chinks of light appearing in their only line of defense. Shakily snapping the tiny plastic lighter, Sunny held it to the candlewick , where it sputtered to flame and then died like the candle on a birthday cake. Three times the candle was lit and three times it died. Finally, in the fading torchlight, Sunny realized what was happening, and gestured to the others to form a circle around the instrument of their redemption.

Lighting the candle once more, the three fugitives slowly raised the candle until the flame started to waver. They watched it flicker and bend towards the wall behind them.
"Well," opined Jeff, "it looks like we have to head over there, directly opposite where we came in." Three pairs of eyes turned to peer into the darkness ahead, trying to discern what lay beyond the the small circle of light that encompassed them.
Jeff took Jill's hand, while she and Sunny did the same. Slowly, they made their way toward the source of the breeze, hoping to find freedom. With the resonating noise of their hunters gradually fading, they came to a halt when a stairway, cut into the rock wall, appeared like a mirage before them.
"Oh my, now what do we do?" Sunny gasped, as she looked at the primitive staircase. "One staircase up, one staircase down." :unsure: