Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Something good to say about the Equinox

jayhop

A few months ago I buried a silver dime at a measured 14 inches. My Equinox couldn't see it, not even with the 15 inch coil.I know some have been able to detect a 14 inch dime but in my soil it ain't happening.
Park 1 and Field 1do the best for me and I really can't see any different in them.
Sensitivity 25, reactivity 1, iron bias 0. Couldn't see it at 14 inches.
I dug that dime up Sunday and buried it in the same hole at 12 inches. When I say 12 inches I mean exactly 12 inches measured, packed the dirt in the bottom of the hole and laid a board across the top and measures to the bottom of the board. It took a while but I got it dead on 12.
Sensitivity 25, reactivity 4, iron bias 0. Park 1 or field 1, both would slam that dime with the 11 inch coil. Reactivity 5 would get it but 4, there was no missing it.
To me that is impressive.

That is very impressive. What kind of mineralization do you have / deal with ? Like you, one of the programs I run are utilizing Park1, iron bias - 0, sensitivity usually set at 23, recovery set at 4 and obtain very good depth. However, I don't believe I could ever get that kind of depth (that you are experiencing) in my very mineralized soil with the 11" stock coil.

Agreed Jay, it is impressive. I was a bit of a detractor when the Equinox started making the rounds, but after having used it in real hunting conditions for 100+ hours now, it’s apparent that Minelab has it right. To get ANYTHING to get that kind of raw depth is VERY hard to do, soil that’s even just a LITTLE “bad” will put a stop to those kinds of depths immediately! But...I’ve seen it do some very good hunting with my own eyes, and am happy that I now have 3 generations of stellar coin hunting machines to use. Keep testing and having fun with it!

My soil isn't really that bad. Eastern north Carolina top soil.
What I ment by saying, not in my soil, is that I have heard of some people getting a silver dime at 14 inches in their soil.
I don't know why soil would make that much of a difference as long as you could run full sensitivity but I guess it does.

jayhop said:
What I ment by saying, not in my soil, is that I have heard of some people getting a silver dime at 14 inches in their soil.
I don't know why soil would make that much of a difference as long as you could run full sensitivity but I guess it does.

Almost 100% of the variances of what people report is WHAT coin they’re using, condition of it, what side is up, tiny or larger contaminates too close....the list goes on and on. Not too many people have the EXACT same coin, EXACT same conditions, EXACT same settings, EXACT same EMI, EXACT same swing speed....and by “not too many” I mean “NO”. This is THE reason why some users use other peoples settings and fall flat on their face. At times they simply aren’t optimal(or even close) for a specific situation.

Take a machine to Calpepper.....then here to Fl. Huge difference as to how deep that machine goes. High minerals can’t be processed as easily.... try a single freq in the salt water.....again minerals. That’s why it’s important to have some idea as to your ground phase. People also say I can only get coins at 6” maybe their soul doesn’t all them to get deeper....so it’s not the detector.

jayhop said:
. Also in Eastern NC and getting great depth with the Equinox. The coin below came from the very bottom of the hole and for those not familiar with the trowel I was using, it is 14 inches long.

Just wondering, do you ground balance or go with factory present ground balance.
I've never ground balanced my equinox because the general idea is its not necessary in most situations.
14 inches is very impressive, I'm happy with 12. I really like this machine.

jayhop said:
Just wondering, do you ground balance or go with factory present ground balance.
I've never ground balanced my equinox because the general idea is its not necessary in most situations.
14 inches is very impressive, I'm happy with 12. I really like this machine.
The sites I hunt are usually very trashy making it hard to do a manual gb. I noticed that when I could do an accurate gb it usually was between 4 and 9. So now I just set it at 10 and leave it unless I get a lot of ground chatter. Also I was running the sensitivity at 20 on that penny. I like a stable machine.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to check my ground balance for sure. Sensitivity of 20 and getting a 14 inch penny is nice.
I can run sensitivity at 23 most places and a lot of the time 25 except on the beaches.

Freshly buried coins are not a good example of how deep a detector can hit, i have done the same and the different detectors would not hit different coins but then go to buried coins that have been the ground for some time and they pick them up just fine. This is almost the same as air test, not real reliable.