Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Something different, the end of an Era....

VT Dave

The end of an Era!

Sunday was a typical morning. I got up with the alarm ringing in my ear, quickly silenced so that my wife could get in a few more minutes of sleep. Head downstairs to make the coffee and fix my lunch. While the oatmeal is cooking, pull on my bib overalls and tie up my boots. Yep, just another normal start to a day of railroading. Well, this day was going to be different.

Today, possibly marked the final day for the Green Mountain Flyer, not just the end of the season, but maybe the

a whole lot more stories here. My godfather was a railroader for 50 years and the odd time he would tell a story about it, it was never enough for this little redheaded brat tho:D i was fascinated by the life and still think of it. Thanks Dave, anytime your not too busy?:thumbup:
Wayne

n/t

Older pics, taken by friends. S.Maginnis for the flyer and L.Landry for the station.
The flyer is returning to Bellows Falls in fall of 1999 and the Station in a night shot taken 1993.
I live only a half mile from the depot!

just wanted to pay tribute to something that'll soon be lost.

Dave

alot of pretty girls coming to ride the train:D,sorry to hear the run is coming to an end but that freight money insures people will keep working.i was going to ask you if it ran along a river,seems like any time they build a railroad in hilly regions thats what they did.

bet it made for a scenic route.

and yes, the mainline between Bellows Falls which sits on the Conn. river and Rutland follows rivers on both sides of the summit. Our steepest grade is one short section of 2% with the ruling grade being about 1.2%. From the falls to Chester, 13 miles, the line crossed the Williams river 7 times. One 56' trestle and one 97' trestle over a gorge.

Dave

but you can always be glad that you were part of it...many great memories that you will have the rest of your life.

What do you think you will do from this point forward? If you get some free time, would you write a story or two about your experiences with this train? I loved the two pictures that you posted farther down the thread, beautiful country side! Thanks for sharing this part of your life. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

time in my life, and I was very little. Rode it with my mother to see her mother from Benton to Emmett, Arkansas.

Seems like you had a very interesting job, once again proving to us on the forum that everybody has a different life, and great stories to go along with it!

So,....can you retire now? Thanks for sharing with us! :)

running in Rusk, Texas, about 45 miles south of Tyler, that carries passengers. But I do not know if it is seasonal or not.

you know who I hang around with a lot. My grandsons, 6,5, and 3! Of course Ali wants to go to. We have ALL the Thomas the trains, and my 3 year old gets so upset with me because I cannot remember all of their names. A small fortune has been spent on the money makers by me alone! :(

the railroad was only my second job/part time. I have about 19 months to go before I'm vested in RR retirement. May have the opportunity to work a freight one day a month so I'll get credit for the month towards retirement. My real job :)lol:) has been with the State of VT for 32 years. Starting out with highway plowing and then moving to State Police support services. Two more years to go for full retirement there.

Dave

Actually, there are three of them. One in Dallas, one in LA and one in PA. We had the one from PA here on our line for three weeks. Called it the little blue money maker. Both my grandkids love Thomas, even if they are girls.

Thanks for a special ride down the rails. I'll bet you have ridden them well for your designated time.

There's a season for everything the Good Book says. I wonder...just what will He have in store for you next, eh?

Thanks so much, for sharing a delightful story with us. It made my day, podnah! <><

AJ

(Job 35:10) [anyone can sing in the daytime]

I put in a "by line" for the pics. They were taken by good friends that I have worked with.

Dave