Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Someone help please with F4!

back2thehunt

Hi-
I got an F4 and I like it. I've already found a couple shiny bits ('57 rosie, '26 merc) with it. I've been doing this for 22+ years, so I'm not a newb. I'm just wondering if I have a defective unit. The manual states that the Discrimination/Threshold will 'fine tune' the threshold sound for all metal/auto tune mode. I have a very loud, static erratic threshold or no threshold when ground balancing the unit the way the instructions describe. The discrimination/threshold + or - does nothing to the threshold signal, only the sensitivity + or -. Also, why can't they have a volume control any more on detectors? It seems to be a bit hard on batteries and at $6-$7 a pop for 2 good alkaline 9v's, it can get expensive pretty fast. I really do like this machine, ALOT but can some experienced people give me some tips? It seems to false quite a bit too and I frantically find myself trying to recreate the signal. I must learn to trust it, I guess.

One more question, I have the 8" coil. Can I expect better performance/depth/stability with the DD?

As far as I know the GB only applies to AM and it does sound erratic. I'm fairly certain that GB in discriminate is automatic. Hunting in AM in anything other than a corn field or forest will drive you crazy. Unfortunately the falsing can only be decreased by lowering the sens which decreases depth or using the DD. If you're running the irons notched out and you're getting false signals, it seems to be either something under or very near iron (although not often since the recovery speed is kind of slow) OR MORE often it's a large piece of iron very deep or iron oddly shaped that you're getting just the right angle on from one direction. A large piece of iron (say an axe head) a foot deep will ring up as .25 but at 12". Don't dig it unless you're ready to make a big hole :) You will not get a quarter at any more than 5.5 - 6" with the F4 (in top soil).

The big DD will actually give you about the same depth as the 8" but it will give you much better target separation therefore decreasing your falsing.

I would recommend the DD and the bounty hunter 4.5". I hunt almost exclusively with the DD unless there's ton of trash and then I put the small one on.

You'll learn the F4 as you use it. It does seem confusing, but there's a few things you can do/watch to help. You can hit one button to un-notch the iron and sweep over the target again. That will often give you valuable information when the tone is erratic. The pinpointing with the DD is precise and can show you if there is two targets within a couple of inches to help you understand. Also, the depth is invaluable in determining if you should dig. Like I said, 10" on a dime means you're not detecting a dime (but it might be a cool relic)

It's a nice machine (I JUST WANT MORE :happy:)!

Feel free to PM me. I've got about 100 hours on it.

I DO buy batteries on occasion...and if your paying 6-7 bucks for two.....your shopping the wrong place!!!
Home Depot has Energizers at 6 batteries for 9 something. thats three bucks a set....for VERY good battereis. :)
As far as the F4 is concerned............it probably has a fixed threshold in disc...and an adjustable threshold in AM. What you need to do is turn the machine on...............hold it about waist level, AWAY from any strong Rf sources.....................with the sens at maybe mid way......and set the threshold you so can barely hear it. If you hear "motorboating " or warbleing you have interference of some kind. THEN lower it to the ground and try to GB the machine.
If you cant get a threshold to your liking like I described.....then you "may" have a problem with your unit. If you ARE able to get a good threshold, but it remains loud when you lower it to the ground positive response)... AFTER GBing it ...... then your probably trying to GB over a target...or the ground is funky for some reason and you will have to go more negative manually. Again.I'm not sure of the actual GB procedure for that specific machine.............but the basics for ALL machines (GB procedures that is) is pretty much exactly the same.