Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Someone asked

MonDak

A couple of buddies and myself had been hearing where the grand daddies of grayling were hanging out a couple hundred miles south of Fairbanks.
If we would have been older at the time, we probobly would remind you of Walter Mathau and Jack Lemon in "Grumpy Old Men"

So we headed south out of Fairbanks thru Delta Junction, Fort Richardson and on down to Paxon where we turned west on the Denali highway for about 30 or 40 miles. Here we parked the pickup and had to hike in about 5 miles to the north. My two buddies walked and I rode in on a 1972 Yamaha dirt bike.

Once we made it to where those grand daddy grayling were lurking, and resting from the trek in, It started raining. It was deceided that we'd better move our gear over under a tree to keep dry. Buddy #1 thru his pack up on his back and as it came down the pack frame hit the hammer on his old army 45. Luck was'nt with him that day and the bullet went thru his heel.

As it turned out there was a veternarian from Healy AK fishing a few hundred yards down stream. He came up and administered first aid as best he could while I rode back out on the Yamaha down to the pickup and drove another 5 or 10 miles further west where there was lodge/roadhouse. They had a flat bottom jet boat they put in and went upstream and picked him up and brought him back down to the lodge. The nearest hospital was in Fairbanks still some 200 miles away. The groanin was quite intense for the first 100 miles, where the consumption of about a fifth of wiskey quieted him down somewhat, but did'nt make the doctor to happy at he Fairbanks hospital.

With what had happened we never did see how big those grand daddys were.

I asked him one time why he had a round chambered and he said he thought he had heard a bear on the hike in.

He was no stranger to veterenarian medicine either. I remember when he would get something like an ear ache, he would go to a vet and get some antibiotics. Said they worked just as well and were cheaper than a regular pharmacy.

I have never been to Alaska but sure dream of it. Back in the 50's when I was a kid, Outdoor Life had a story about some kids, after graduation, who headed up the Alcan highway for a summers adventure. I never forgot that story and swore I would someday see the country. It has surely changed since then but it is still my dream.

Thanks for bringing back that memory. I had not thought about those boys in years.

Summers are too short for me up there though

n/t

I once knew a guy who shot himself in the foot while trying to shoot a pig......but he had drank the whiskey BEFORE the accident!

Sounds like you had some great adventures,can't wait to hear some more.

that ole 45 didn't blow his whole dang foot off!:lol: I realize that it isn't that funny, but dogone, those 45's blow a hole the size of the grand canyon!

Actually he was very lucky. Thanks for the story.

Lil Brother:)

something like this happens. That could have been a much worse injury, though. I'm afraid I would have to make the trip again, though just to see how big the grand daddies really were!

Thanks for sharing your story! :)

n/t