Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some Texas Hill Country history

Jbird

The hill country of central Texas has some fascinating history. So much of our history gets "re-written" to favor certain factions. The original German immigrants who were pre-dominate in setteling the hill country has been overlooked. You dont think of Texas cowboys speaking with a german accent but many cattleman and cowboys were of first or second generation german descent.

Here is an interesting little tid-bit of history. One of our forum members (Fred Kelly) lives in the Leon Springs/Boerne area. About 1900 a well known citizen of that area was one Ad Topperwein. Ad became well known for his ability with a six gun and went on to perform on vaudeville and around the world. He was so good that the famous Buffalo Bill declined contests with him. Ad's stage name was "Dead-Eye Dick". In 1907, he set a worlds record that still stands. He fired 72,500 times at 2 1/4 inch wood blocks tossed into the air and missed only 9 times.

As if that story is not amazing enough, Ad had a cousin named Rudy Aue and Ad always insisted that Rudy could outshoot him. When Rudy was asked why he didnt get into show business with his shooting ability, he said he thought that was just a waste of good ammunition.

When we think of the famous Texas Rangers, our history books and movies may cause us to visulize a John Wayne type character speaking in what has become known as a "Texas drawl." Thats probably true up to a point but its a fact that many of them spoke in a german accented version of english with maybe a little spanish throwed in, "Ach tung, hombre, throw don ze gon!" A few miles west of the Boerne/Leon springs area is a little german community named Comfort. That community is said to have supplied more men to the Texas Rangers than any other Texas town and also has the most rangers buried in its local cementary.

Seems like when we read history, we need to do a lot of reading between the lines to dig out all the facts.

Southwest corner of IH 10 and Boerne Stage Road, right behind the shopping center.

While there were many cowboys of German descent, some of the Germans in the Hill Country were goat farmers and stone masons. The area is too rocky to run much of a cattle operation...takes from fifty to seventy-five acres of native grass to feed one cow/calf pair in most areas of the hill country.

There were probably more Indian battles in the Hill Country Than anywhere else in Texas...probably due to the rough terrain in part. Lots of history attached to the Hill Country...Jim Bowie's lost silver mind, traces of gold found along some of the streams, stories about the Texas Rangers, all the German settlements, home place of LBJ, the Missions and spanish explorers, last major Indian battle, and even some Civil War history pertaining to Comfort, Texas.

At the present time, the major industry seems to be deer hunting. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Especially local history. You are so right much of it must be read between the lines of what is published. I have learned much from reading biographies,personnel papers,etc available at our local library-many interesting things never found in published history books.Thanks for a interesting post

about that area of Texas than most folks. JB in Mississippi is another one that has vast knowledge of the area in which he lives. I have always enjoyed their stories. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Those are the kind I like JB!

Dave

Got any more ? Posts like these are the real deal. Truly fascinating to read !:thumbup:

is lost or just changed.

some of our history isn't quite told as it happened, and some of it is lost unless you do some real digging or exploring, depends on what you're loking for of course. Two things come to mind: One, in an area in Gippsland that was written much about, speaks of the existance of two chinese ovens, one was destroyed by road works, an the other has gone to ruin. I found both signs of these ovens. But the interesting thing was, I found a third chinese oven the history books don't even mention, and it seems no one knew about. My hubby and I uncovered it while detecting, and next to it was a flatten building site we believed was the joss house. We uncovered over 150 chinese copins dating back to 1621, with our detectors.
The second story is that of Sir Douglas Mawson, a great Australian antarctic explorer who mapped 100's of kilometres of iceland, and survived a horrendous ordeal, losing his two companions along the way. He accomplished much more in my opinion, during his lifetime, than Scott and his party (who died and didn't reach their goal) and other Aussie ice explorers. Yet, so little is written about him. The irony of it is, if you find a book written by the man in print, it's worth up to thousands of dollars!
Angela:)

McMurtrey "Telegraph Days". There was a lot of history in it, and it talked a lot about Buffalo Bill when he got into "show business".

Cowboy always gives me a REAl look at the western life, and tells me a lot of the western novels are not very real, but he tells it like it is.

Do the two of you live close to one another? Were you acquainted before the forum? Just wondering. Thanks for some facts! :)