Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some Surf shots from Sunday....

Ron J

[attachment 84048 100_1004.jpg]Al and i did a little cruising Sunday. Ended up driving to Plum Island out of Newburyport. Its kind of like the Cape, sand dunes, house;s on high fondations etc. Most of the old camps have been washed away or rebuilt over the years. Appears, they just built another Jetty to help curb errosion. Check out the cut! Click on the photos for better view! [attachment 84047 100_1005.jpg][attachment 84049 100_1007.jpg][attachment 84050 100_1013.jpg][attachment 84051 100_1011.jpg][attachment 84052 100_1010.jpg]

Those are some big waves...rough seas! It looks cold, like you folks are still having winter. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

People have been fighting errosion for a hundred years, but still build as close a possilbe to the Sea.. and pay for it one way or another... I guess its like growing up on a Ranch, Fred.. you are drawn to it, no matter what! Doesn't matter how cold or hot the weather is,stormy is best, never tire of seeing rough surf! Amazing that at as long as time, people have been trying to harness the Sea for one reason or another. The Sea seems to win the battle sooner or later.

I enjoy detecting those cuts after a storm. Wanted to get out here with the winds and all but been down with high temps and phenumonia. Guess the Presnezone took away my immune system protection. Seem to be on the mend now, just kinda wilted. Better days are coming. Looks like those folks at the shore could use a breakwater or sea wall.

George-CT

n/t

the waves,or rough surf during a Storm or Flood tide. Normally the beach would have been much higher, or the sand much higher,with a gradual bank,like a hill sloping to the water. The cut is what appears like a cliff as in the second picture. Our Beach's constantly change with the Sea. In the Winter months tons of sand are washed to deeper water, forming sand bars, where as in the Summer months, the sand is washed in creating higher banks, and deeper sand. A Winter Blizzard can change a beach drastically overnight! If you hunted beaches all the time Fred, Believe me, you would learn to "read " the Beach quickly. So hunting a beach, you look for cuts, or places the sand has washed out, leaving pebbles, or rocks showing. Good hunting area's... Sometimes you may not see this condition but once or twice a year, leaving you to hunt in shallower sand. Once the sand is washed back in, you are hunting on 1 to 3 foot of sand, where as the day before, you may have been hunting in 2 inches! You also want to hunt during a minus tide. Meaning when the tide goes out normally to lets say a normal 1.1 foot low tide, during a full Moon, there could be a minus 1 ft tide. On some beaches,this means the water may be receding 100 foot lower than its normal level, leaving a lot of territory to hunt for a few hours,depending on the tide going and coming. Does this explanation help? May have over done it.

I assume that you folks are looking for coins and rings, correct? Would this same "cut" take place down on the Gulf Coast of Texas? I have never hunted on a beach or done any water hunting with a metal detector. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

those houses won't be there long if they don't do something soon,bet the homeowners want the state to foot the bill.

Or have you ever done any water metal detecting in some of those lakes up there around Dallas? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

the older coins and rings may have been covered in 3 to 10 ft of sand for years! With a cut, they may only be in 2 to 10 inches of sand. Kind of like a buried tomb, or dinosuar bones being buried in a desert, and a wind storm uncovers them! I am sure Texas beaches change with storms also. If you pay attention to any beach for a few days, or weeks, you will see it change,thats "reading" the beach. Think of this, NO Snakes to worry about,and sometimes some nicw looking mermaids walk by!:D Although in some parts of the country,you need to watch out for jellyfish,or the like. We are only talking wading knee deep if that, at low tides. I don't usually hit the upper dry beach area,except after a major storm.

some of the small islands off the coast. If you go to Padre Island or Mustang Island, you are warned to stay out of the dunes because of the rattlesnakes. Back in the 1970's when my folks lived in Portland, Texas just north of Corpus Christi, on a weekend visit we decided to go to Mustang Island for a picnic. While taking a leak back in the sand dunes, I spotted two of the biggest rattlesnakes that I had ever seen...they were super big, maybe six feet long. The first one was coiled up and I did not see him until I was taking the leak...he was about ten feet away. The second one was about thirty feet away and was stretched out sunning himself. I got out of there before I had a chance to see if there were any more back there.

That was not a very enjoyable picnic because later I decided to catch one of those small blue crabs. Well, I caught one with my bare hands, but immediately turned loose of it when it bit a finger almost to the bone. There were also some Jelly Fish in the water in certain areas.

I do remember going down for a visit after a hurricane and saw many smashed small cabin cruiser type boats washed up on the cliffs and shore. I thought about getting some brass parts off the boats but my father said to leave them alone.

The coast has really never been of interest to me other than looking for arrowheads down there when I was younger. I also found some old looking bottles down there over the years back in the 1970's and 1980's. Now that you have told me about the "cuts" I may venture down there one weekend with a metal detector. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

when i did a borrowed a garrett my sister had,got interested for a while then it waned.i haven't been to the coast in a while,i think south padre is off limits,at least part if it.fred,i wish the lakes here were ripe,there's a county lake that has a beach but it gets hammered by some locals and the beach is only about a 100 yards long.

lake lewisville is about the only lake i know of,and lake grapevine that are used for swimming.the lakes out here are mainly stump infested fishing lakes with little recreational facilities and thats the way the fishing guides like it:).i'd bet lake travis would be a good lake,many swimming areas,but don't know if its open.

i'm guessing galveston would be the best place on the coast,i think the guy who had THE GOLDEN OLDE website did alright when he was alive.it would be nice to do it sometime.i think port isabel has spring break stuff down there,if it is open to detecting i'd say it would be the best:).

Sad about those houses though.