Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some military stuff--C123 aircraft--vietnam

Jbird

Here is an article that I got a kick out of and thought some of you might enjoy it. I have been in similar situations where the order of the day was to "make do" and it brought back memories.

http://www.afa.org/magazine/feb2001/0201mule.asp

The movies and lots of written literature doesnt always give a true story of the military. The movies often shows the military running around shouting Yes Sir, No Sir or Right Away Sir!! Also moving in formation, turning square corners and clicking heels. In my experience, only a very small part of that stuff was true while the actual operations were much less formal and regimented. Especially in my old outfit of the Air Commando's. And while the military is great at making great detailed and precise plans to carry out an operation, those plans often lasted only for the first two or three minutes of the operation.:) After that, all hell broke out, and you figgered your way out the best way you could. I cant tell you the number of times I have sat in a planning conference around a long polished conference table as the only (or one of a few) non-commissioned officers with State Department and Pentagon Officers planning an operation in great detail while I and the planned operations pilots would just look at one another and smile........plans were nice and necessary but we knew we would get attacked by Murphy's law and have to work our way out by the skin of our teeth and the seat of our britches.

This little story gave me a laugh because it describes how things often were. These airmen were flying by the seat of their britches and making up procedures as they went along. Whatever worked was the plan untill that quit working and you figgered out something else. I have been on some of their corkscrew landing patterns and it was a real thrill.

I especially got a kick out of the load of vietnamese who built a fire in the C-123 airplane to cook their evening meal.:sadwalk: This was happening in 1961 but it reminded me of something in 1967 when I was a maintenance supervisor in a C-130 outfit. We had what was called Max-Pack flights to move Vietnamese units. Those units were allowed to take their famlies and everything they owned with them. So we would strip the cargo area of the C-130 and then run cargo straps about knee high across and every three feet. Then trucks would pull up and off-load Vietnamese soldiers along with wifes and children and gramma and grampa and pigs and chickens, and dogs, etc. You never knew what you were gonna get but whatever, you just packed them all forward over the rear loading ramp untill nothing else would fit. They all sat on the floor with the cargo straps for them to hold on to. It kind of bugged me that the soldiers would have their rifles, ammo, and even hand grenades strapped on amongst all those civilians. I doubt if this highly efficient method of moving troops was ever discussed over a conference table but it got the job done in as short a time as possible.

These C-123 airmen became some of the first Air Commandos after President Kennedy formed them in 1961. They kept that name untill 1968 when the name was changed to Air Force Special Operations Forces, or as we abbreviated it SOF. I joined SOF in late 67 and spent my last four years of duty with them. This article brought some chuckles as I remember some of my own "make do" experiences on some of my assignments.

Like I've said before, this stuff never gets old for me. How tight of a spiral would those things keep when corkscrewing down. Cripes....I'd be sweating bullets. Even "routine" landings had to be an experience. They say the old Hercs could take-off and land on a football field. That had to be a sudden drop and stop ! Nerves of steel one would think. I'll gladly read any more of these stories you feel up to posting. Your writing makes them the next best thing to being there !:clap:

at least it looked like that, as I remember. We called them flying boxcars:shrug:

I caught a hop from Cherry Point NC to DC, I think it was. This was in 59. The air was rough and I swear those wings were a flapping and I was a holding on for dear life. We hit some air pockets that I was sure was gonna tear the dang wings off but I looked at the crew and it didn't seem to phase them.

That was my only experience in one of those big suckers. It was a monster to me at the time but I guess there are plenty not to dwarf them.

Thanks for an interesting post!

I cant say how tight the spiral was, Rob, not in feet anyway. I got in a few flights with the pilots practicing that stuff near England AFB, La. There were two reasons for that corkscrew. Lots of cloud cover over Vietnam, especially during the monsoon season from about July to November. They didnt wont to fly in the clouds for fear of hitting another airplane or even a mountain top if they were not too sure where they were. When they came to a break in the clouds where they could see the ground, they would corkscrew down thru that clear area untill they were below the cloud cover. Under the cloud cover, they might have only a few hundred feet of visibility but they would have to get down there to figure out where they were or where their target field or landing field was. Nowadays of course, with GLS systems, they could stay above clouds and easily pinpoint their landing sites. Also, it was not safe to make a long slow and low altitude landing run as the VC gunners were pretty active. The Cargo airplanes had a technique called an assault landing. That was a steep approach and at the last minute they would flair out and land. Less chance of recieving ground fire that way but when they flaired out to scrub off air speed they were flying right on the edge of stalling out. But pilots are hot-rodders by nature and enjoy living on the edge anyway.:)

My first airplane ride was when I caught a hop from Illinois (about l952) toward New Orleans, going home on furlough. It was a B-25 bomber. They had a place I could sit up above the bomb bay. They gave me a barf bucket and left me back there by myself. When it got dark, I was shocked to see the engines exhaust stacks glowing cherry red and squirting flames rather than smoke. How was I to know that wasn't normal? Then we hit bad weather and started bucking up and down and lightning all over the sky and me scared to death back there with no company but my barf bucket. They were forced to land at Memphis and I staggered off that old bomber swearing I would never fly again.:wiggle:

when taking off and landing at Worthsmith AFB. They were awsome

n/t