Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Some help please?

rebelLT

I recently purchased a used XS. Ive been a lifelong XLT user and decided to try a minelab. I will take the XS out to the coin garden for a while to get the hang of the thing. I'm sure there are a bunch of you out there that have used the XLT and transitioned to the explorer. Anyone have any info that might help? Thanx.

Make liberal use of the Explorer Classroom forum to read the post there and swing the coil slow at first.

Follow all of the menu items out to see what they do and to learn how to find them. Use your garden or air test to learn the tones. Be sure to listen to them at the edge of their detection zone so you will know what to listen for in the field.

Don't be afraid to turn the sensitivity down to stablize the unit.

Those are a few. I'm sure others can add to this.

HH Alton

Hit your IM button and go to around -14 then hit the IM button again to get into search mode.
Next set your sens button (three buttons on the left, middle left button) to put the machine into manual sens (sens = sensitivity). Now take the top left button and run the sens up till the machine is unstable with your cursor bouncing around then back it off to where it is stable.
Swing coil, find coins. It is that simple.
Far upper right is silver, to the left of that is copper, a little lower is indian head pennies and bottom middle (about) is nickel.

To begin with the Explorer XS will have to be swung much slower then the XLT was. The XS will see much more too as you will see and it will give you more info and let you decide what to dig and what not too.
Now for setting I would run the factory presets until you have a little time on it and understand it more. It is confusing for some and if you push it too much it will just make it harder to learn. Make sure you do a noise cancel each time out with it and maybe several times when out detecting with it.
Now when you get to know it a little more you can turn up the sensitivity and build some programs for it and like Tony says to set the iron mask at a -14, but remember in iron mask mode only is on when in iron mask mode and not when you go into the smart find or digital. The reason to have it set this way is to check out iffy signals you may get in the smart find or digital as the whole screen is open almost and you will hear everything around the target and tell if it is good or bad . When you really know it you may want to run iron mask all the way open and hunt in this mode, it is noise but you will hear everything and no or very little nulling.
Take time and some patience plus just plain old experience digging many target good and bad to know which one will be the ones you want to dig.

Thanks to all

Since you have an older used XS, turn it on and give it a little shake. If it makes any noises, you probably have some connector or contact issues. If it has an XS you might have one more connector to clean. These need to be cleaned up or you'll be annoyed by miscellaneous sounds. Cleaning the pin connectors on the wire to the coil and making the battery contact shiny will help.

Been an XLT user for 15 years. Recently got an Explorer XS in very good condition. First thing I did was get a small coil. I prefer small coils 90% of the time no matter which machine I hunt with. Also helps offset some of the weight.