Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Solo Voyage !

Ron J

On Sat. or Sunday, the last weekend of June, i had the middle grandson, Max over for the day. We had taken a ride on the Pontoon around the river,and had just returned. While still on the float, Max asked if he could try to row a boat. I was a little beat, and didn't feel like getting the row boat from the yard, and trying to teach Max to row. So i promised Max, during my annual 4th of July gathering, i would teach him.I also told him,if he learned to row, he could have the Dory to keep.He was surprised and now anxious,and replied "Okay!" :D (I had planned my cookout,for Sat.the 5th.) During the cookout,when thinks got settled, friends, relatives were fed, and relaxing, the kids had been swimming etc.,[attachment 99189 DSC04957.jpg]the tide was right,i slid the "Andrea Dory" (as it is named from the factory!) into the water.I had Max and Nic put on the life preservers, regardless that they know how to swim. I held the line taunt, and had Nic board, then had Max get seated properly,facing the stern. I gave him instructions on pulling the oars from under the seat,and insert the oarlocks into the mounts on the gunnel's.This was fairly easy,because this pair of oars has round oar locks,with plastic sleeves to stop the oars from sliding into the water,if you let go, otherwise you would get a fast lesson in paddling with one oar to chase the drifting oar! That's if you didn't drop both at once,then i guess you could use your hands, or swim after them!:D Once Max was sitting with oars in hand, and Nic waiting patiently, i gave him a couple of verbal instructions,and shoved the Dory from the float! Max, being only 7, was a little surprised i did that! :D I told him, this is how you learn! " Put the blades in the water! Pull! Lift! Push back! Dip/Pull/Lift! and repeat.." [attachment 99190 DSC04988.jpg] He floundered a bit, but with every stroke,started to get the hang of it. Max was a few hundred feet from the float now, doing pretty good. I returned to my barbecue,but with eyes on him constantly,but didn't let them know. Some of my friends, mostly the women, were yakking, "you let them out there alone? What if they go out to Sea?" I informed them, where are they going, except into the marsh grass or Treasure Island?:D I only have 3 motorized boats at the dock,whats the big deal? Wendy, my daughter,Max and Nics mom, was calm,and respected my decision.:devil: (i learned the same way,when i was 5 or 6) Max was doing well,and managed to return to the float, and dropped Nic off. He promptly shoved off, and had his Freedom, his first solo voyage! :thumbup: [attachment 99191 DSC05000.jpg][attachment 99192 DSC05003Large.jpg][attachment 99193 DSC05026.jpg] Is this a happy kid or what? :bouncy: I doubt Max will ever forget this day...now to teach his older brother James, to use the little outboard by himself..... Rj

That is a sharp looking dory. Is that a lap streak or fiber glass made to look like it? I like you learned to row at a young age. got pretty good at sculling it all with the single oar in the transom. Thats something he will never forget for the rest of his life. Later in life just up stream from the boat yard they held the Yale/Harvard row races every year. Fact I one time they used to run them by our yard, but then decided to keep them above the Gold Star Twin bridges. Single bridge then and I got to help erect the second one. Fun life on the water for a kid or adult for that matter. He looks as happy as a clam out there by himself.

Geo

n/t

You did right by that young boy and he will always remember this for the rest of his life. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :clapping:

memory for him, one that HE will perhaps write about one day! You are an exceptional grandpa, for sure! :)

n/t

pictures. The research sub the NR-1 when down to it and there are some pictures of her on the bottom. I know a lot of the dive clubs did dive down to it. A side not, they retired the NR-1 yesterday here at the New London Sub base after 40 years of service.

http://www.pbs.org/lostliners/andrea.html

Geo

Growing up, we still had old guys who used to tell stories about the whaling days. I used to like to hear about the Nantucket Sleight Rides when whaling. Not sure if they ever did or were just good at telling the stories but they kept me dreaming about them.

Here are 6 pictures that would have gone well with the their stories, but they did such a great job of telling the story that these are the images that came into my mind with out the pictures. A lot of these guys would be gathered around the whale oil barrels at the Mystic Seaport. I can tell you, that all of us, would not leave when these guys were telling these stories. Where I grew up in Groton/New London CT, these were old whaling towns. So they very well might of done it as I was a young kid.

http://www.coolantarctica.com/gallery/whales_whaling/0006.htm

George

n/t

goes there a lot. They have a ton of pictures from the bottom you might enjoy. They have retrieved a lot from her. Geo

http://njscuba.net/sites/site_andrea_doria.html

n/t

the Aqua Sports Dive shop was on our property and they kept there boat at our marina. Both these guys were navy divers and most of the guys they dove with for deep water then were also. Al Stover, Bob Carnary, Al Swhartz all were pro divers. Fact, Al Stover, if you google his name, he died in a diving bell incedent. In order to save the others he locked himself in a smaller compartment to help the others and he was the smallest of them. He died from exposure to the cold amd c02 poisoning. Al was a great guy, and I spent a lot of time with him at the shop. Fact, he and Bob Carnary helped me glue together my first wet suit. Wish I still had it. They took me thru dive school with them and even got me in the dive tank at the Navy Base. They went out to dive on the Andrea Doria many times leaving from our marina and I could have gone. I didn't because I personally never felt ready for that kind of depth. The first timers had a very short time on the bottom, so I could have done it. Another friend of mind, Carl Barchect, also a good diver, did it but hit a bad day like in one of the dive storys on the web page and never really knew he was on it because of bad visability and he also hit the strong currents coming up. I too was reading the web site and wanted to kick my butt for not doing it then. Life gets in the way of a lot of things. Still nice to relive some of the memories from a great time in my life.

There are some great dive sites in New England.

Geo