Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So who's a fan of Hooka?

SeattleALE

I do a lot of shallow lake diving, 5-10 feet and I use SCUBA with an aluminium 80. At that depth I can spend between 1.5 to 2 hours depending on the level of exertion. $5 a fill adds up over time!

So how about a hooka? Do people like these? I usually dive in areas with little underwater obstacles, like tree's or docks, just a lit of weeds.

What do you think?

Thanks, SeattleALE

I am going to be a hookah man. My system is almost complete. I do not want to bother going for a fill, just a battery charge and off I will go. Most of the areas I paln on diving will be in the 10' max range.

We use hooka sometimes. I like it when we are searching and there is a current and your not paying a lot of attention. We use 300 feet of hose and it lets you know when you get to the end.We have a dive compressor on board and fill our tanks. So lots of air is not a problem. Also use the hooka to fill lift bags. We also have a low pressure high volume compressor on board. But the hooka is nice as we can put it in the small boat, go off and have a air supply.

Hookah is great in my opinion, I've been diveing for 35 yrs. I started in the Navy & when I got out I started gold dredging...For some applications it's not practical but for many it is the way to go...This winter I'm planning on putting a lightweight system together with a Honda Lightweight 2hp, engine & T80 & small dredge pontoons...I like being very negativly bouyant when on the bottom...it makes it a lot easier to work & not haveing a tank on your back also "frees" you up a bit...when working on the bottom & trying to stay in one spot or limited search area in current a tank also enlarges your profile acting kind of like a "sail" it will catch current & fatigue you sooner

hi tom,
I have seen divers with tanks detect but how practical is snorkel detecting ? what kit is needed ? are weight belts needed to assist digging finds ? etc etc
i have asked this question before but to no avail, i hope with your 35 years expierience you can give me some no nonsence answers
taaaaaaaaaa tony weston U.K.

I've never done it but I've been diving a long time and I would think snorkel detecting would be very frustrating and not very producting.

1) Fatigue will set in very quickly

2) You'll finad that your bottom time for digging a target will be very little and insufficient to find most targets

3) The greatest pressure change is between 0 and 10 feet and contantly going up and down will give you one hell of a headack!

I wouldn't recommend it.....

HH

thanks for your input matey, i didnt think about the pressure problems i just wanted to have a go at virgin ground around a pontoon that is always full of bathers ( it has to full of looooooot ) regards tony

Hi Tony, I'm afraid your terminology has me confused...by snorkel do you mean hookah??? A snorkel is a short rubber/plastic tube that is bent & you breath through it while floating on top...A hookah system is a motor & compressor floating on top that feeds a small reciever tank (either strong plastic or lightweight metal)that feeds through a air hose the regulator (USUALLY low pressure) that you have stuck in your mouth....I guess a person could use a snorkel if they had to but a hookah system would be best...

Hey Tony if you're a certified diver...RENT some tanks & give it a go...If you're not I would suggest getting some dive training so you don't drown or hurt yourself & then look into setting up a hookah system...It's the best way to go as far as I'm concerned...Tom

I have been hookah treasure diver for a few years. I am scuba certified. I have 2 fisher underwater machines and hookah gear for 2 people. I would like to help someone learn to use a hookah if they know of a likely good spot. Floating swimming docks are ideal for this. I use a battery operated system 2 hrs/2people at aprox 10 ft. Then you change batteries. My system is a Keene engineering unit with 4 modules (4 small compressors.

I use to dive with a Hookah system and did this for two years. then I got my certification, My Hookah system was hooked up to a weight integrated BC for safety. I learned allot about the equipment and safety going to the classes. HH Rich