Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So set me straight

Elbandido

I am thinking about picking up a Lobo ST.
Before i make a mistake and get something that wont work for me
I would like to get one thing straight. Does the Ground balance work in the Discriminate mode
as well as the all metal mode?
I want to do some prospecting but need it to work for coins also.
Dont up with just another pre set detector that wont work in my local ground.

I've heard yes,and no.
I know it did well when I had mine years ago till I hunted some badddddddd ground in TENN. and the lobo ST just couldn't cut it.The bandido II umax did better with a manual GB.

I enjoyed using it,and found a lot of stuff with it till the tenn trip.
That strip of ground made a lot of machines look useless. by the time we were through we did dig over a few years over 500 bullets out of it.

So Glad i still have my Bandido IIUmx.
Dont think i will ever get rid of it:tesoro:

So it would pretty much Suck for Coin hunting here in the northwest Too?
Along with the Cortes and Deleon.

Why does it make no mention of that in the Manual for it?
It says you need to ground Balance for Disc mode also.
I have been using Tesoros since 1992 and i would like to keep on using them.
So i have pretty much only 2 options the Tejon and Vaquero for my next detectors.

Eight or nine years ago I bought an LST with standard coil, plus an 8 inch round coil and the 3X7 small coil, thinking it would be good for coin, jewelry and relic hunting. The ground here is virtually mineral free and the auto ground balance balanced the all metal mode just fine, but in disc mode the balance was way, way too positive. In disc mode it didn't get much depth, especially on dimes and quarters. I thought it might have problems, but I called Tesoro and was told it had preset ground balance in disc mode, that I could send it in to be adjusted. I mentioned it on another forum and a guy in Alabama offered to trade a detector of basically equal value for it as it was, so I traded. The Cortes and some of the other Tesoro's that have manual ground balance in all metal mode also have preset ground balance in disc mode, and the manuals don't mention they have preset ground balance in disc mode.

What part of the Northwest? I'm in North Idaho and most of the places I coin shoot the presets work fine. However, I'm talking farm country, not the mountains where mineralization is another matter. For Prospecting, all metal is the preferred method so you're all right for that. You might consider the Tejon - compatible with the Lobo coils and uses the same frequency. I'm pretty sure the ground balance works in both modes on that one.
BB

Thank you for the Info.
Rather disappointed because i have always wanted one.

Wonder what the Difference is with the UK model?
I know they use them for relic hunting there.
That's one reason i thought it would work here.

The Discriminate mode is preset. Now, that said, I will add that when I had mine at the factory once to get tweaked, the technician told me there were actually two internal trimmers that needed to be set for the "preset" Ground Balance. That is an issue I had, since I prefer to be in control of that setting, but, there is also the Discriminate level adjustment YOU can make.

Usually, if you set the Disc. control at the minimum level and then bob the search coil toward-and-away from the ground (from maybe 6" down to

Europe or the USA or anywhere, but .... you just adjust the GB in the All Metal mode, set a desired Discriminate level, then hunt. Pretty 'normal' but I feel there are better models available today than the Lobo ST. I am not a big Tej

Thanks for the Info.
Still i want a Detector that works very good where i live.
That i do not have to constantly mess with the settings because of our ground.

For example there is one park here where just under the surface is a layer of Red sand that just drives my Cibola crazy.
I can use My Bandido but have to constantly mess with it.
And the other places the Cibola works but have never got that great of depth.
Pretty bad when my 1995 Bandido IIuMax does better than my new Detector.
So it looks like if i want to stay with tesoro it is the Vaquero or Tejon.

Monte said:
Europe or the USA or anywhere, but .... you just adjust the GB in the All Metal mode, set a desired Discriminate level, then hunt. Pretty 'normal' but I feel there are better models available today than the Lobo ST. I am not a big Tej