Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So much for new years resolutions....

Dan-MO

My wife Linda and I decided to start some serious exercising for the new year-to lose a few pounds and get in a little better shape.Linda actually started a couple of months earlier and is doing remarkably well.As the winter weather set in it has gotten too cold for walking etc and living in the sticks there is not a large mall within 75 miles of us.I am 6 feet tall and weigh 228 pounds-just about 13 pounds more than my weight when I played football in high school and was doing lots of work with the iron many years ago. Problem is-back then it was packed mostly around my shoulders and upper body and over the years gravity has took it's toll......

Anyway,last weekend I heard of a person who had a almost entire home gym for sale.I bought a exercise bike,a rowing machine,and some type of torture devise with a sliding seat and tension adjustable handle bars.It is made so that when you pull on the handle bars they come back while the seat slides forward.It is supposed to be great for the upper body and mid section.

Linda was thrilled when I got it all home and set up.I then began to demonstrate the equipment.....

First up was the stationary bike.I quickly found out it was not for me due to a problem with my left knee-the result of a car wreck in 1986 that my knee recovered from after a few surgery's but left me with some permanent range of motion loss.

Next up was the rowing machine.After just one pull I was reminded of the old shoulder injury I had got in the same wreck-a torn rotator cuff that only bothers me if I pull or lift something in a awkward way-like a rowing machine.

Lastly was the torture devise.I got on it a little bit frustrated and gave it a mighty pull.The seat went flying forward until it hit the stop that keeps the seat from sliding all the way against the bar which you straddle to ride this devise.The stop broke. I continued flying forward at roughly 180 mph until I was stopped cold by the impact of a very "sensitive" area of my body being slammed against a steel bar.I turned blue in the face and tried to scream.....but couldn't.Linda laughed. I rolled off on the floor and tried to breath,throw up,cuss,yell,moan, etc....but all I could manage was a few high pitched squeaks.

Several hours later I recovered enough to pitch that particular piece of equipment in the trash after pounding on it a while with a 10 pound hammer (the most exercise I got all day}.As I set here tonight I can hear Linda in the other room pedaling away on the bike.As for me I have began a new exercise regime....every hour or so I will unrecline my recliner and get up and march smartly into the kitchen for a drink or snack.I do finger aerobics with the remote control between trips.....

In our lives... I can feel for you.. Give those fingers a good workout and then pop open a beer tab or two [changes the working muscles].

Fair winds

Mikie

n/t

Been there, done that, doing it again! Didn't get quite the same results(thank goodness) as you, but the end result will probably be close!:rofl:

n/t

Funny, now but not then I bet. I know where your at. Things I used to do the body no longer allows.

Geo

certainly glad you are thru having your family! Geez...............that was a pretty traumatic injury! I have a stationery bike, a rowing machine, a step climber, and one of the full gym things out in the shop. For now, Scott has them all piled in the corner, and I am putting an ad in the local newspaper. Scott said to make sure I put "low mileage" on the bike and had a few other funny little quips to put on the other stuff. We both just laughed, because these were all New Year's resolution gifts from one year or another! The thing about the total gym is that it's surely a good workout, but half of it is rearranging the dang thing everytime you want to exercise a different part of the body!!!! I do, however use my tread mill. Just hook up the head phones, leave all the timers and gadgets turned off, and work for thirty minutes a day. That works best for me in the winter, but come spring I still enjoy the outdoors, and carry a big stick to beat off the dogs!

If you and Linda would come on down to Arkansas with your truck, I'll give her a few things to add to "her" gym! :poke:

You also reminded me of the time I commented to Lil Brother about his new tennis shoes. He said he got them to jog in. His wife was in the kitchen, and yelled "Yeah, ....... they help him jog back and forth from the refrigerator to his recliner faster during commercial breaks." So..................you are not alone my friend! :biggrin: