Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So much Falsing

CDDZ

I have tried for hours to figure this detector out. I get so much falsing when I swing the coil. I have chased a signals down to 10 plus inches and gave up after it disappeared. I have read Andy's book and understand what each of the settings do. It is very hard to pick up a signal between all the iron bits and the constant falsing. The bad thing is most of the falsing are whisper tones making me think I have gone over a deep target, only to disappear on another pass. It also seems to be bump sensitive. If I switch it to lets say basic 2, the falsing seems to disappear. Pull tabs in the ground ring up a lot higher than they should, but properly in air. I have also noticed that there is almost always a clicking noise(in the headphone) in the 8Khz setting. Also, when i plant my digger in the ground or walk I hear these whisper tones. Anyone else having these issues with their Deus? I have zero confidence in the machine at this point. I have tried reinstalling the 3.2 as well thinking maybe something was wrong there.

GB Tracking (typically around 83-85). Even does it when I set it manually
Sens ~ 90
TX power 2
8 or 12 kHz
0 Disc
Full Tones
React 0/1
Silencer -1
Ground Notch 83-90

Ok I see you have full tones listed and that is how I hunt also but have been hunting with the deus fir 2 years now. The Deus is a very chatty unit and full tones is the by far the noisiest. Try raising the disc to 5 or 6 that should clear up the iron a bit. My recommendation is you go into the Deus fast program and change the tones to full tones and practice a while with that if you want to learn full tones.

Very good advice above. I was going to recommend that use utilize the ground notch feature to eliminate chatter and falsing from bumps, but I see you do that already. There's no need to run zero disc on the Deus. You're only making it more difficult to pick out good signals from iron, and gaining nothing in return. I like disc set at 6.5 to 7.0 in most of my programs. Also try notching 97-99, which will knock out some falsing also from big iron. Even a silver dollar will be mid 90s, so you aren't missing any targets doing this. I've heard some folks just have a "hot coil", where they can't run sens up past 90 or so. If you have to turn your sens down, keep you TX on 3 to regain some depth.

Hope this helps. Happy Hunting!

some advice i got was to start in two tones, try this below.. had the very same problem you had. keep after it. this is for relics as that is all i do. hope it helps

If you're new to the Deus your first mistake was to start making adjustments. I did that and I couldn't make heads from tails out of the noise. Put it on Basic 1, or Deus Fast in trashy areas, and stayed there until I was comfortable with the sounds then I started my tweaking.

Hey,CDDZ...I empathize with you...I too suffered alot of falsing ...I traced my problem to EMI... one site I hunt is near a state police training facility,that has a large communication tower
when they are using it I can not hunt there efficiently due to the constant chatter and falsing... when they are not there my machine runs as quiet as a mouse.... another site I go to has
multiple crop fields...one morning I was hunting my machine started acting up no matter what I tried I could not get it to stop chattering... I have hunted this site several times with no problems...
everything was going through my mind..Cracked coil ..?batteries acting up..? cell phone interfering..? Etc..Etc.. luckily I was in the middle of a harvested corn field..Cuz if a tree was nearby I probably
would have wrapped the DEUS around it..!!!!! not even kidding..!!! So I shut her down out of frustration and headed to the truck... I sat there on my tailgate,had a cup of coffee from my thermos,regained
my composure,and noticed I was near some power lines...I said Hmmmm...,I wonder if I go to the opposite end of the field,away from the power lines if it will quiet up...sure enough it did...Now I had hunted
near the lines before with no problems..maybe they changed the Hz that morning..?or more or less power demand... I don't know... but my problems were definitely EMI related...Hopefully yours is as
simple as that....Have you tried hunting several sites..? The DEUS is an Awesome machine ..!!!!! Give it some time...Good Luck..

I appreciate all the suggestions. I have a bit over 50 hours behind the Deus. I should have explained a little bit better, I want to hear the iron :). I use an open screen when I hunt with my CTX. It is the falsing that bothers me. I am thinking that the shielding of the coil is bad.

Please describe again what you are doing.

Meaning are you bumping the coil--- for the false

In full tones when you get a supposed false signal-- does it repeat with sweeps???

I believe it or not have never used ground notch, and really have never experienced in falsing.
But I don't swing my detector like I'm chopping wood either.

The Deus is sorta chatty-- but this is not to be confused with falsing
And the chained really doesn't seem to prevent a person from detecting good targets.

You may be expecting the Deusmto sound more like a CTX, I don't know.

Do you have a video camera to video and posts here???

I want to help, but am limited based on info.

If I had to place a bet--- your Gb is too negative--- or machine is tracking too negative---- this happens in sites especially loaded with iron etc.

Squirrel,
The flasing I get is when I swing the coil over the ground surface. The falsing sounds like a whisper deep target. I swing the coil at a smooth and normal speed. I can tolerate it being choppy from running hot(used to own a T2). There are times that I chase a disappearing target that will repeat both directions( I believe this is due to a GB issue). If I happen to bump it against a mole hill( lot of those little suckers around here), I will get a loud false. I also notice a whine when I am planting my digging tool into the ground or walking.(in cadence with my step or thrust).

These are the settings I am using when this "whisper false" is happening.
Notch 00-00
Disc 0
Tones Full
Sens 90 (turn it up or down depending on chatter)
TX 2
8 kHz
Iron volume 00
React 01
Silencer -1
Audio Re 4
Manual GB
Ground Notch 00

squirrel1 said:

In full tones when you get a supposed false signal-- does it repeat with sweeps???

I believe it or not have never used ground notch, and really have never experienced in falsing.

And the chained really doesn't seem to prevent a person from detecting good targets.

If I had to place a bet--- your Gb is too negative--- or machine is tracking too negative---- this happens in sites especially loaded with iron etc.

Well,
My recommendations would be try running ground notch 85-90

Get out of full tones-- go disc evel 6--- maybe 6.4 or so depending on size of iron/ nails.

Try 3 tone.

Monitor ground phase number if running manual go and adjust as needed.
In cleaner ground try tracking GB.

Also if you experience the same falsing with settings above-- change freqs and see what happens

And try this in a few different areas.

Inspect under your coil cover-- clean if necessary

I take it you are using headphones--- if you have some wired headphones with a plug that will fit the remote you might try-- or listen using external speaker with volume turned up.

I don't think you have headphone problem-- but I do believe in process of elimination.

I wish I lived close to you--- we'd swap components and definitely sniff this out.

Since it is winter time. If the above don't remedy and no one else can help with the fix-- you may have to send it in.

Are there any. other Deus users close to you??

Judging by the above reply it appears you are experiencing the whispers while using and w/o using ground notch. And they are happening in Manual GB and Tracking GB? Is this correct? I belive your problem is Ground Balance related. Give us a little more on the conditions of the site.

Is there a lot of trash/iron? Is the ground naturally mild or hot? I too have a good amount of time on the Deus and many years solely using a F75. I can run the chattiest of machines and pick out the targets from the chatter, and understand what your talking about. But falsing like you're describing comes from either deep targets, just below fringe depth, or improper GB.

I was hunting a CW camp last weekend which I've pounded for years and the targets are deep. I got a whisper signal like you're talking about, just good enough to investigate. Dug down about a ft, and it was still there. Now if I'd been hunting a spot with very hot ground I would've chalked it up to a hot rock or crappy ground, but I decided to keep digging. Another ft down and it started screaming at me in the high 80s. When I finally picked it up with the pinpointer, another couple inches revealed some rust at the bottom of the hole. It was a hatchet head straight down in the hole. I was impressed and disappointed at the same time.

Try notching like I said above at 97-99. It could be you're picking up large deep iron, which the deus loves. I want to hear iron also, but want to eliminate most crap. But really I think your GB needs to be spot on at your spot. Try pumping to get a number, then set to tracking unless there's a lot of trash. Watch the GB number as it changes to get a feel for how often the ground spikes. Try to keep tabs on the GB number and keep it as close to your original number as possible.

Keep us posted on how the tips work out.

I did a bit of testing in my front yard this afternoon. My property used to be farm land and is pretty damn clean. Damn is it cold out! Instead of typing it up I will just put a picture up. I have to believe that it is indeed a GB issue, but with the new settings it was stable as a rock. I came up with the settings by playing around in the basement until it would stop falsing when wobbling the coil. Once it warms up a bit I will play with the disc and silencer a bit more.

image.jpg

CDDZ said:
Squirrel,
The flasing I get is when I swing the coil over the ground surface. The falsing sounds like a whisper deep target. I swing the coil at a smooth and normal speed. I can tolerate it being choppy from running hot(used to own a T2). There are times that I chase a disappearing target that will repeat both directions( I believe this is due to a GB issue). If I happen to bump it against a mole hill( lot of those little suckers around here), I will get a loud false. I also notice a whine when I am planting my digging tool into the ground or walking.(in cadence with my step or thrust).

These are the settings I am using when this "whisper false" is happening.
Notch 00-00
Disc 0
Tones Full
Sens 90 (turn it up or down depending on chatter)
TX 2
8 kHz
Iron volume 00
React 01
Silencer -1
Audio Re 4
Manual GB
Ground Notch 00

squirrel1 said:

If you want to hear iron why would you not run it to 3 or more? lower number less you hear or higher the number the more..? +

Hi
Cddz
I ve started using full tones and like it. I don't think I'd give up on that. But I do know I have had bad luck w 4 & 8 khz. Seems like mine falsed a lot too. What about trying 12 or even 18 and see if it improve s.

I like full tones as well, just don't think I am going to be able to run zero disc on my machine. I don't have too many problems on 8kHz, just a bit of clicking, but it does not inhibit finding a target.

brianfloyd said:
Hi
Cddz
I ve started using full tones and like it. I don't think I'd give up on that. But I do know I have had bad luck w 4 & 8 khz. Seems like mine falsed a lot too. What about trying 12 or even 18 and see if it improve s.

Glad you're having some luck with it. Off topic, but cam I ask where you got those program spreadsheets? I'd like to download this to my PC and play around with it. Thanks

I was bored and made it, I would be happy to email you the spreadsheet or in PDF.
The Wolf said:
Glad you're having some luck with it. Off topic, but cam I ask where you got those program spreadsheets? I'd like to download this to my PC and play around with it. Thanks

Thanks CDDZ for starting this thread, I have had exactly the same issues in very low mineralization ground. I have very little experience in metal detecting but have learned a lot from this forum. I have never used ground notching because at the time I didn't understand how to use it. Looking forward to spring to try new settings here in Utah and hope to go to Nevada to do some gold prospecting.