Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So, is the MXT that much of a chatter box?

jshn

I've been looking over reviews of the MXT as I am considering it for my next detector.

I've read many folks writing of the chatter they are receiving from it. Some said they were able to quiet the unit up by reducing the sensitivity. Is the chatter something that can be easily adjusted out? Does this adjusting have a negative affect on depth?

For the most part I'm looking for a coin/jewelery machine and I often hunt in old areas known for nails and other heavy iron trash. The MXT seems like a good all around detector with the benefit of allowing me to find more gold rings, chains ect. Is it capable of handling iron trashy areas given the right coil match?

HH

I usually hunt coins in Relic mode, but have found in my test garden that the coin and Jewelry mode actually reaches deeper to give the faint signals which don't react enough to "beep", much less give a VDI number. The deepest I can get an accurate VDI (in either mode) is about 4-5 inches, and many of these VDI's are wrong, even testing on clad quarters and dimes. I'll soon Plant a row of silver dimes for testing, and maybe some silver quarters, too. Thanks, Jeff! That is some really good information! I hunt coins in relic mode because I like the tones. So, I have a question: Is the DFX better for coin hunting because it apparently has tones? My CZ20 uses 3 tones for distinguishing objects, and I like that, too.

Hey Reggie, Have you tried detecting in iron trashy areas for coins with your MXT? If so, what coil were you using and what kind of behavior were you getting from the unit?

On the whole, what is your satifaction with the MXT?

BTW, from everything I have read the DFX would be better for coin/jewelery hunting as the MXT is based on the Whites GMT which is the gold detector but with a C/J circuit added. The MXT is a much better "all around" detector which is something I could put to use.

HH

I like the MXT for hunting non-ferous areas such as schools and parks, but around homes there is a lot of iron which fools the VDI and the graph, even when using the hot 5.3 Eclipse and the 5" Excellerator. I use the relic hunting mode mostly because of the two tones; I wish it had more, apparently like the M6. But I haven't seen or used an M6, so I can't be sure. My friend has a DFX with another coil, and he was digging things mine didn't find. The MXT is hot for zinc and copper and silver, but discrimination leaves a lot to be desired in MHO. Depth is good, though. It'll give a slightly louder hum with cents, clad dimes and clad quarters at 12 inches. Problem is: iron does, too. I'm too old to dig everything....