Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So.......how was your Day?:blink:...............

Wayne in BC

7pm here and i just sorta kinda finished an adventure in plumbing. Not my first Rodeo with it either:surrender:
Of course you will all know that it was not a simple eye level solder job, never is.
Last night about 11:30 Carol says, why is the floor wet here in the hallway? Of course i acted unconcerned, just some simple answer of course......but.......my mind was already telling me it meant bad trouble and i was right!

A small spare bedroom right next to the bathroom, open the door, step, squish! The rug in the whole dang room is a sponge! It finally leaked into the hallway and can he seen and heard running out from the baseboard along the wall behind the bed of course. Panic time! Kill the power to the well and mad as hell, disassemble the bed, move it and start ripping out the part of the wall where i can hear the leak.

3:30 am this morning finally get to bed and dream of the fun day coming. I just got finished and have not cleaned up the room. Ain't gonna for a while cause i will be replacing all the wall board and the carpet.
My old place was plumbed with the old thin wall copper tubing and i have replaced it in several places over the past few years. Today i could not do more than replace that part that was through the wall to the toilet with plastic and had to marry the plastic to the old crappy copper which is usually not round. This means first building a tee with standard copper and necking down the fittings to accept the old thin wall, then soldering in a tiny space that goes under the bathtub. I ain't good at that at all but what the heck, several hours, sore knees and elbows, sore head, and a bad attitude later......no more leaks ......yet!

So....how was your day?:wacko:

pipes are not best friends at times. Like you say, they never seem to break in and easy spot....

But, my day went well, jumped on bike and went site seeing at the trout brooks all around the area... They were taking some decent trout out. I wanted to go myself but that met putting the bike away. Not likely this early in the year with nice days until tomorrow then it drops back in the upper 50's and low 60s for next week with off and on rain. I'll do my indoor projects then.

Geo

finger i am holding up just for you, you lucky dawg?:rofl:
Something about Trout season and the first Brookie in the frying pan:thumbup:

hope you never encounter quest pipe,they make a variety of fittings to replace the crap crimped fittings that were the reason they had a massive lawsuit.i think they changed the name of it to pex and modified the fittings to work.home depot carries a fitting that works on copper,pvc and quest/pex.they are handy for those hard to reach and akward places,i did some repairs on my mothers place with them,but these are under the home not in a wall.

you just push the pipe into the fitting,you sometimes hear a little click,sometimes not,they have been there for about a year and a half.i hear plumbers use them for temporary repairs until they can do a soldering job,they have a little horse shoe shaped key that causes them to release so you can use them again,which is why they like them.

i believe the are called alligator or gator fittings or something like that.several companies make similiar fittings but these seemed like they were more solidly made.i was assured at lowe's,home depot and several independent hardware stores that people were using them with no problems.

i was concerned with contraction of pipe and such but plastic is pretty stable and not as effected as metal,at least i think that:).i'd bet if you have a home depot around the locals could tell you whether the work alright there:).

n/t