Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

So Close and Yet....

DWtexas

My hunting buddies and I often kid each other about finding the old house where the kids threw coins at each other. Well, I came pretty close to hitting the mark today. Actually, I guess I hit it head on, but it wasn't exactly what I'd hoped for. I'm in Dayton, OH on a business trip so I brought my detector along. Something must have happened to the machine during transit because the sounds are good, but the display is really unreliable. That leaves me digging just about every coin sound I hear. Anyway, I located a home built in 1900 and it appeared to be well-kept. I approached the owner and quickly obtained permission to hunt. The front yard is fairly small, but I figured I'd pull a few silvers (that was probably the first sign I was getting too confident) out of it and then move on to another place. Including the islands of grass between the sidewalk and the street, the yard was about 40' by 15'. I hadn't move my coil 6" when I found my first coin - a memorial. Oh well, at least it wasn't trash. Another 6" and I found another coin - a memorial. This pattern repeated itself over and over again. Sometimes I would pull two or three pennies out of a hole. Again, they were all memorials. I have never seen such an even spread of coins - not even at a seeded club hunt. I noticed that a lot of the pennies had clusters of grass roots wrapped around them. If I didn't know better (and I really don't), I'd swear they used pennies as fertilizer. Well, I dug for about an hour and half, recovering 52 coins and a Hot Wheel car. The oldest coin was 1959 memorial...so close to just a simple Wheatie and yet... So I guess I found the place we'd been talking about, an old house littered with coins. From now on, I'm going to be a little more specific in what I ask for: the old house where the kids threw silver and gold coins at each other and no trash or modern coins have ever been dropped...that should cover it. For those curious about how much of the yard was covered, I made it through about half of it and I left a lot of pennies, or at least I think they were pennies...just playing the odds on that one.

HH,
David

52 in a hour, theres not a thing wrong with that DW, the last hunt I got to go on I found a penny in 2 hours, but dug some junk up. I worked way to hard for that penny, I was hunting in all metal just to say I have done it. I dug a bag and half full of pure old junk, I was going to mount that penny on the wall after that workout.

The public areas where I live all have a dense layer of 1-3 inch deep memorial cents from the last 20 years that kept screaming at me to dig them as I got to know my SE pro these last couple of months. Yesterday I picked a spot and skipped about 10 coin signals before I found one that was about 4 inches and more of a flute sound, but it was bouncing around on the ID so I assume it was at an angle and I also assume that's why the evil :devil: silver snatchers missed it, it was a worn 1926 merc with any mint mark it had long gone. I was satisfied with my ear discrimination but just out of curiosity I went back to the 10 signals I passed and dug them all up, they were all memorials! As usual it was my only silver of the outing but I am getting better i think.

You just need to learn the correct terminology and your finds will get a lot better. For example, a twisted piece of metal is actually called a Shaker Whatchamacallit - a relic from a bygone day. A pull tab is an antique beverage tap - collectible in it's own right. It's important to make every name sound historic or an least valuable. When all else fails, act excited and say loud enough for your hunting buddies to hear, "Yeah! You do see one of these babies everyday!" Then you stuff it in your trash pouch before they can see it. If they insist, tell them you don't want to quit while the ground is giving up such great finds. At the end of the hunt, be sure to show off your great new relics with pride. Before long, you'll be the envy of your buddies and they'll start digging up more of those great relics, leaving those terrible old coins in the ground that nobody really uses anymore. Heck, that's probably why they were thrown away in the first place.

HH,
David

Shaker Whatchamacallit. I love it I get a lot of those, some even read 00-28 and sound so pretty in the top right hand of the screen. But I know I got a good heart because on one of my last hunts I got the prettist signal and check the digital screen and snartfind both showing silver. The deeper I dug the more it sounded better, finally at a little over 10" inches I found a piece of metal with a corner bent over and the rest of it was strait down in the ground. I dug the whole Shaker Whatchamacallit up which was about 5" wide and 10" long, looked to be some kind of a trim piece or a Shaker Whatchamacallit. Man was my heart beating hard, Kinda like Buck Fever.