Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Snake!" .......................

Kelley (Texas)

Here in South Texas, you must always be on the lookout for Rattlesnakes...you never know when you will see one. Most of the time, you will be out in the brush when you see one, and you sorta leave it alone, just move around it at a safe distance...a live and let live situation.

The time to be concerned is when you encounter one around the home place...in the yard or at the barn. Unfortunately, when you encounter one around the home place, you must kill it because of the possible danger to loved ones or livestock.

We will never kill a non poisonous snake. For several years, we had a Rat Snake living in the hay barn and we left it alone because it would kill and eat field mice. Many times when I went to the hay barn to get a bale of hay, that old Rat Snake would be stretched out on the hay bales, apparently sleeping. I would slowly get a bale of hay and not disturb him. He never tried to bite or acted aggressive towards anyone, but then again we never messed with him either. One day he was not there and never returned...always wondered what happened to him.

I do remember the time that I encountered a very aggressive and dangerous Rattlesnake at the barn. I had just pulled down a bale of hay when I spotted the Rattlesnake about ten feet away from me. He was facing me, in a semi-coiled position, with his head held about a foot off the ground. He was between me and the door and I figured that if I remained still, he would go out the door. Wrong! He just stayed there looking at me. Now this was no young Rattlesnake...he was about five feet long and must have been four or five inches thick.

After a few minutes of a stand off, I moved one of my feet. Immediately the Rattlesnake moved about a foot towards me! I sensed trouble, this Rattlesnake looked like he was looking for a fight! Off to my right about eight feet away was a hoe hanging on the wall. I figured if that Rattlesnake wanted a fight, I would give him one! However, there was a problem, that Rattlesnake was off the the side, about the same distance from that hoe. Every time I would move towards that hoe, the Rattlesnake would move too! He was trying to cut me off, he was bent on biting me! I finally decided to make a dash to the hoe, but that snake recognised what I was doing and came full speed towards me. I reached the hoe a split second before he got to me and swung the hoe, hitting him just below the head, knocking him back a foot or two. For a short period of time, it was tit for tat, he would strike at me and I would swing the hoe. Finally, I landed a solid blow to his head. I finally cut his head off and stepped outside the barn...I was shaking so bad that I had to get some fresh air and calm down.

There was another time where a Rattlesnake struck me as I was dismounting a horse, but that is another story that I will post in the future if you folks are interested in hearing about it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

great story Kelley! Please continue. I, like you, have a story to tell about rattlers. Mines kinda humurous though. They are everywhere in southern Oregon, 'specially the diamond backs (timber rattlers). Mean snakes for sure.

live rattler in a paper bag. Lots of fun with that one. Neighbors complained and the cops came and I .....well I told that story before...

I have never seen a rattler as big as yours in the wild though. I don't like killing any snake but you just can not have the dangerous ones around the homesetad.

I like to hear about your wildlife

a snake in a paper bag. Please post it if you have some free time, I would love to hear about it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

and are large rattlesnakes. I wish you would post a story about them. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Never had any dealings with rattlers and there are even some in the Okanagan up here. However, I have taken lately, to wearing a .22 magnum on my hip [thank you for the holster Wayne!! :thumbup: ] There have been 2 instances in the last month or so, where hunters have been out rattling and have brought in a grizz. In one case, the young fellow [18 years] had the bear only 5 feet away.

A .22 will not kill a bear but it will hopefully scare him off.

Sunny skies

M

I was building a pathway to the lake and this sucker kept hissing and leaping at me. I picked it up with a rake end and tossed it into the woods, but it came back and started in again.
So I had to give a good hard whack on the head. I don't know what kind of snake it is though; Diana took a picture of the poor guy taking a short break from all the action. Not me, the snake. :lol:

Good story Kelley. I think most country folks in the south over age 50 have had similar experiences, and some of us have had several. We have diamondbacks, timber and just plain old mean rattlers here, in addition to cottonmouth, water moccasins and a small, really aggresive snake folks here call a ground rattler. I've never been bit but have come very, very close several times. Once a cottonmouth got my pants leg just above my shoe, I've stepped on two and almost stepped right in a huge moccasins mouth when I stepped over a fallen tree near a lake. He heard me coming, was coiled with his mouth open pointed up, he missed but not by much. Any miss is as good as a mile though so no harm done except to scare the bejebus out of me.

all kinds of em. I used to have a few chicken snakes around but havent seen any lately. Snakes just give me the heebie-jeebies.

I killed a rattler in the mountains while I was turkey hunting a long time ago that had a half digested rabbit in his stomach. I skinned him out to make a belt, but never did.

A very exciting story Fred!

Lil Brother:surprised:

I do not know what type of snake that is in your photo, but it appears that it was determined to do you some bodily harm. That snake is long and thin...wonder if it is poisonous? Thanks for sharing this with us. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :lol:

That was an exciting story. You are much more compassionate than I concerning rattlesnakes. I'm always in the market for a good diamondback hide for a belt or a hatband! I don't see them like a once did. It's a good thing for them! At the house or in the woods, they'll be one dead critter.

I suppose our most aggressive snake in this neck of the woods is a plain old ugly cottonmouth. They are not satisfied in live and let live. If you get near one, they will take the offensive nine times out of ten and will come at you with all they have.

Thanks for the story. By the way, you still thinkin' about that cave back on the ranch?????? :D

aj

We do not have many around here, thank goodness! They are mean tempered and very aggressive...will attack you at the drop of a dime. I would think that snakes would be more difficult to see with the thick vegetation that you folks have over there in Mississippi...thus possibly more danger of getting a snake bite. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Most of the ones that I have seen are five to six feet long, and they will scare you. While not poisonious, their bite will hurt you. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Bear stories are always interesting to read about. I figured that it might be too cold up there for you folks to have many rattlesnakes, but did not know for sure. Royal said that they do not have many in Michigan. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

No, I have not forgotten about it. There were so many rattlesnakes there and that place had a foul smell. I have no plans of ever going back there!

I fear water moccasins because they will charge you if you get too close to them.

Do you folks have many Copperheads in Arkansas? Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Yes, I guess next to a sidewinder they can be pretty aggressive. We get rattler dens so large back home that they used to dynamite them every spring. Funny, large grayback scorpions too but they aren't poisonous. No more than a bad bee sting. Scary little critters though.

and they are agressive!

Dave

But I can see your point. No sense in taking the life of a snake unless you're being threatened. Please post that other story.

Dave

we must be in an area of flux around here,i don't remember anyone mentioning rattlers and growing up north of dallas and i don't ever remember anyone having seen rattlers but if you go 40 miles west you run into them.
water mocs,yep,and coppers too,remember as a kid picking dewberries down by the railroad tracks and sticking my head in the canes of the dewberries and seeing a copper.coppers are kind of aggressive also.